37" tall skinny narrow military style tires for my trailer

bluebruin

Adventurer
I want to eliminate the spare on my m416 trailer to make space for other equipment. I'd like to be able to use the same spare as my jeep. I have 37"x13.5R17 Toyo Open Country tires on my jeep.

I found 37x14.5"R15 toyo's and steel rims on CL locally, but they are just so huge and SO heavy. Seems completely rediculous to put these on my trailer. But if I want to use the same spare, I need the same diameter tire, right? Otherwise, it would pull unevenly? Or would it just lean?

What I would ideally like, are the military style non-directional tread NDT tires that originally came on the M416. This would reduce my track width and would offer a lot less rolling resistance I would think. But, I can't find any tall skinny tires in 37" diameter.

Does anybody know where to get some? I'd like to stay in the 7-10" wide range if possible. Mud-Terrain/Offroad style tires are preferred.

Thanks

bluebruin

Adventurer
those are some good options. Man they are expensive. Guess that's my trade off. I got my used 37" toyo's for $40 each and wheels for $25 for a pair.

does anybody think the 3/4" diameter difference between the military tires and the 37 spare would be a problem? If I were to use the spare, I might be hundreds of miles from home.....

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I would go with the matching toyo's. I would bet the mil spec tires are heavier to boot. Mil Spec tires that tall are made to haul weight and take crazy abuse. That translates to heavy. I noticed no differance going from 31-10.50 at's to 35-12.50 Swampers on my trailer. In fact, pushing it around by had was easier with the 35's.

bluebruin

Adventurer
i found two STA Superlugs 9.00-16's for $200. (including M37 wheels that I will demount and sell). I these are 36.3" tires, and only weigh 53 lbs per tire compared to 93 per tire for the Toyo's. Plus, the rim's I found (which are 15x10's) weight a TON too. I only need 16x6.5" wheels for these tires. So, I bet I am saving 50-60lbs per tire. I am going to try the military tires and if they work out well, I will just sell the toyo's and rims... I know I can get my money back for what I paid. Only problem is the STA's are about 2 hrs drive from here... my wife has friends in that town, so we'll be making a trip to see them and pick up the tires too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles