Home Built camper for Tacoma

pods8

Explorer
My nightmare was with a two part system, but it was way to cold. (The heating setup got unplugged...)

Like I said predictable. ;) you have control over temp to avoid. I have two speeds of epoxy hardener specifically to deal with high and low temps, know your product and when to use/not use.

A quick update on my project. I had to move everything to my garage as I need to use my shop for work. Getting pretty close now. I'm going to start with a very bare bones interior to get a feel for what we need.
IMG_0988.jpgIMG_0989.jpg

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
This is the first time I've seen this thread and have to say I'm impressed! You're doing great work! I'm also finding, in my project, that time schedules never seem to work well in projects like this!

For a week my wife and I stayed up late into the night working on the camper. We got it to the point where we could load it up and. Bring it to CA for a little road trip.

aza2egeb.jpg
u7ejume3.jpg
3asagy9y.jpg
8a9uta3u.jpg
ujage2um.jpg
ezurepa7.jpg
heqe6y6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

lqhikers

Adventurer
nice build, i love to see home built campers and yours is very well thought out.

but! why the roof vent facing forward when open i have found that your type of
vent tends to work open even if closed tight,happens on rough roads when going slow
and the when you resume highway speed no more vent cover.

just my experience yours may differ.

Les,lqhikers

nice build, i love to see home built campers and yours is very well thought out.

but! why the roof vent facing forward when open i have found that your type of
vent tends to work open even if closed tight,happens on rough roads when going slow
and the when you resume highway speed no more vent cover.

just my experience yours may differ.

Les,lqhikers

I have concerns about the vent hatch being torn off also. Either from it coming open or from me leaving it open. I chose to install it that way so that when the roof is popped up the hatch shelters the vent opening. The idea being that I could have it open in light rain.

Here's some pics from the morning after our first night in the camper. Mojave National preserve.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382407185.286539.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382407200.536456.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Just curious how much have you spent on materials?

I don't really know. I'd guess around $2000. There have been so many hardware store and lumber yard runs it is hard to keep track and I'm not sure if I want to. I've often thought that a used Flippac might have been a better decision but I do like building stuff. The most time consuming part of this sort of construction was the fairing, sanding and painting. I could of done a much better job on these tasks but they are no fun so I slaked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Hoosier 45

Adventurer
Wow, It looks great. Have you had a chance to get a weight on it.

I am thinking of something similar but a hard sided version. I have removed my bed and tailgate from my 03 DC so I could properly scrape/blast the frame and repaint with chasse saver. While I had the bed off I weighed it on bathroom scales and it came to 200 lbs. So I am thinking of a flat bed version much like the German Bimobile. I was thinking 1/8" birch inside and out over 2" foam with a grid of 1/4" birch, along the lines of a hollow core door. Then just glass the outside.
Martin

bphang10

Observer
congratulations! looks great and must feel awesome to get it on the road.

looks like the paint turned out good.....what did you end out using?

also looks like you used keder rail to attach the softwall up top? how and where did you attach to bottom? it also looks like you have no "flange" where the pop top and main body meet. neither do i at this point, the thinking being that the canvas will keep the rain out. have you driven it in rain yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94