Home Built camper for Tacoma

A bit more Progress.

IMG_0839.jpg
Fill coat applied with white pigment. This coat of epoxy fills in the weave of the cloth so that a smooth finish can be achieved. I used a pigment to hopefully cut down on paint coats.
IMG_0841.jpg
My wife can still lift it.
IMG_0842.jpg
IMG_0843.jpg
Fillets. Inside corners must be filleted, cloth can not make a ninety degree corner. Epoxy with a thickening powder (wood flour in this case) is used for filleting and fairing
IMG_0845.jpg
Flipped over so that I can work on the bottom.

pods8

Explorer
Thayercraft has decent pricing on cloth as well, FYI.

Got a good (affordable) source on wood flour? I had one local back WA that I got spoiled by, cheap and no shipping.

Thayercraft has decent pricing on cloth as well, FYI.

Got a good (affordable) source on wood flour? I had one local back WA that I got spoiled by, cheap and no shipping.

No, I just got some West System stuff (it's wood flour with some other additions) Colorado is a not great for boat building type supplies. I pretty much have to order everything. I produce a lot of shavings at work. I wonder what is the process to make wood flour, it might be good to figure out if I were to do a bigger project.

hoptroll

Pool Boy
I had a good friend build two stitch and glue kayaks in my dad's shop and he used saw dust from the table saw for "wood flour" (also known as filler). It worked great for his application and he actually preferred it because it was cheap (free) and because it gave a nice natural color.

I have been working on my camper but I have been slowed down by painting. I used a marine primer and paint from Total Boat and have found them difficult to work with. I don't fault the brand however as I believe all marine paints are a bit tricky. theThe primer is supposed to be easy to sand but I think I may have put it on too thick and it gummed up my sandpaper super bad, I had to use over a 100 discs to sand the primer. The top coat is ok but, as I knew, high glass marine paints show every imperfection in my glass job. I'm ok with it though and the paint seems durable.

IMG_0904.jpgIMG_0903.jpg
Roof construction

IMG_0905.jpg
on the truck

bphang10

Observer
i used that primer also in a storage area but did not sand it. i found it went on easy and dried fast. i applied using a 3/16 mohair roller. how did you apply and how long did you let it cure before sanding? was it or had it recently rained?

your camper is coming along nicely. envious of your shop!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The primer is supposed to be easy to sand but I think I may have put it on too thick and it gummed up my sandpaper super bad, I had to use over a 100 discs to sand the primer.

It did not "kick", or in other words it did not cure properly. How cold was it during the first 24 hours?

I know the total nightmare you have experienced trying to sand it, not fun at all.

It did not "kick", or in other words it did not cure properly. How cold was it during the first 24 hours?

I know the total nightmare you have experienced trying to sand it, not fun at all.

It was something like that, I can't remember the temp. I tried to sand it after 24 hours and got nowhere. So I waited a week and tried again and it was still brutal. I will definitely go with a two part paint in the future. The singe part paints are much too finicky when it comes to temp, thickness and humidity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles