The Little 2TRFE That Could..

jeverich

Luddite
Here goes..

2007 Tacoma Access, “Base” Package, 2.7L 2TRFE 4x4

It's life began in Rhode Island, purchased it from my father in the winter of 2010, decided that it was time for something a little more economical to drive (last rig was an '86 FJ60, with a 2F). When it started I was sure that I was not going to modify this truck at all. Yeah, right.

Bone stock:

IMG_0551.jpg

(Pardon the terribly over-exposed photo)

Then I felt the urge to pack up and move West... Yes, there was a girl involved – and no, we are no longer together. Although, the drive across the country was an incredible experience; one that I plan on doing again in the future.

Definitely tested that little 2TRFE, loaded down with 1000 lbs. Of household goods..

An opportunity presented itself; and in December of 2011, I liquidized many of my possessions and loaded up the truck for a drive to Kodiak (Island), Alaska.

Oh, installed an OME Suspension Kit - with 884 coil springs and an Add-A-Leaf. Keep in mind that was going to be the LAST modification to this truck...

Then came a fantastic deal on an ARB Bumper from MetalTech:

ARB2.jpg

Sag.jpg

Got Sag?

ALCan Highway (Dec. 2011) -

Day3front.jpg

Buddy.jpg

Nice.jpg

Whiteout.jpg

Small.jpg

Small2.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0061.jpg
    DSC_0061.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

jeverich

Luddite
Driving the Alaska Highway, in Winter - and alone wa s quite an incredible experience. I feel as though that trip really provided me with a perspective on life; overall "place" in the universe, as well as a true feeling of the sheer scale of our continent. Well, at least the Northern Section. The sheer immensity and scale of the country in that region is seemingly overwhelming. Traveling for 300 miles and seeing only one fellow traveller is somewhat of an ominous feeling.

Bound-1.jpg

Depart.jpg

Made it to Kodiak for January 2nd..

ThreeofaKind.jpg

Aside from fabricating an IFS skid plate, and mounting some new tires (255/85/16 Mud Terrains), the truck remained largely unchanged. My career as a commercial fisherman kept me fairly preoccupied...

Skid.jpg

Attempted a set of sliders; although they came out much too heavy. Practice at welding, at least!

photo2-1.jpg

Installed a Blue Seas 6 Circuit Fuse Block...

88ef0b16.jpg

468e11c2.jpg

38337de8.jpg

I'm an engineer on a commercial fishing boat. Yes; I'm slightly obsessive about 12 Volt wiring...

25fdc7c2.jpg

20a4ef38.jpg

Fabbed a Hi-Lift mount for my bed as well. Mr. Toyota was kind enough to design a pretty skookum bed rail system for our trucks..

HiLift.jpg

Attachments

• Bound-1.jpg
    Bound-1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 168
  • ThreeofaKind.jpg
    ThreeofaKind.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 38337de8.jpg
    38337de8.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 165
  • HiLift.jpg
    HiLift.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

wingysataday

Adventurer
Looks good. I have those same switches and they are way to bright. I had to put a sticker over them to tone em' down. Very annoying at night.

J

JWP58

Awesome. Some of the pics arent working though....

So far i've been pleased with my 2.7L.

jeverich

Luddite
Thanks for all of the positive comments.. Bear with me, still trying to navigate the Expo forum/control panel.

Trying to get things into something resembling a linear order..

Obviously, I don't live in Kodiak anymore; here's some pictures from my southbound drive on the Alcan from November 2012.

96ED1760-6767-4CCF-B95C-8002E3ED195E-297-00000014B2F64D5E.jpg

050009E0-33CE-440B-9F96-58E2362F0D81-297-00000015291E3942.jpg

3683F854-73D9-4F42-9601-A29BE192B093-297-00000015BA675EFD.jpg

Only casualty was a Ptarmigan outside of Tok, AK..

DC45746E-38FE-4546-8A82-27150983779E-297-00000015C4F6C7AF.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

WatsonLake.jpg

Last edited:

jeverich

Luddite
Found a house with a large detached shop, located in Ferndale, Washington... The modifications began flowing like water..

DSC_0061.jpg

Found this for quite a nice price on Craigslist. ARB RD90 Locker, with 4.88s

DSC_0205.jpg

Added BlitzPro 3LR LED Fog Lights, have nothing but positive things to say about them! For their size, they provide an incredible amount of light output - and the price point is significantly lower than Rigid.

Swapped out my OME 884 coils for 886Xs.

Finally installed rear locker and re-geared to 4.88s. Wow, what a difference. I feel as though 4.88s and 255s are the perfect balance of capability and power from this truck. The locker is amazing.

Added an ARB CKMA12 "High Output" compressor, as well as a Blue Seas 6 Circuit AGC Fuse Block.

Modified the wiring harness that ARB supplied.. they built the harness under the premise that the compressor could be installed with no crimp connections or soldering. I'm not a fan of open, and un-weather-proof plastic plugs. Especially on 40 AMP 12 Volt DC circuits.

DSC_0335.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

Yes, they look like somewhat inconspicuous little rocker switches. They are special "$2k" rocker switches, though..:sombrero:

Did some adventuring today with a couple of friends in the NWOS. Mainly around the Sumas/Mt. Baker region..

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0298-1.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

Last edited:

jeverich

Luddite
2TR-FE is such an underestimated little engine. Very nice build

I was seriously considering selling this truck and stepping into a 4.0L V6. Decided to keep this truck and build it the way I want it, regearing it to gain back some "power". 4.88s make this truck in it's current configuration much, much more enjoyable to drive.

Looks good. I have those same switches and they are way to bright. I had to put a sticker over them to tone em' down. Very annoying at night.

Luckily, I'm 6' 2".. so my head is quite a ways above the lights on the rocker switches. Although, yes - they are quite bright. Since all of those circuits are constant-hot, I like the fact that they are annoyingly bright. I've tapped into the illumination circuit, with a variable rheostat - this only affects the bottom half of the switch illumination, though.

Awesome. Some of the pics arent working though....

So far i've been pleased with my 2.7L.

Think I fixed it.

Awesome build! Can't wait to have my 2.7 modded like yours!

Well thank you! Yes, it is coming along quite nicely. Just got word that I'll be heading to Dutch Harbor on Friday.. Already planning trips for this Summer. Definitely Hells Canyon/Lower Imnaha (Eastern Oregon), possibly a Death Valley trip as well.

J

JWP58

Again great pics, love the truck.

I like my little 2.7L but I've wondered how difficult it would be to swap in a 3.4 V6. They are plentiful, more powerful, and I loved the one in my 2001 dcab. Maybe one day...

jeverich

Luddite
Again great pics, love the truck.

I like my little 2.7L but I've wondered how difficult it would be to swap in a 3.4 V6. They are plentiful, more powerful, and I loved the one in my 2001 dcab. Maybe one day...

To be honest, I like the fact that I've got the 2.7. I feel like it makes the truck somewhat "unique". Also, ours came stock from the factory with a much stronger rear end (8.4"). If you ever decide to re-gear, the factory 4.10s are quite desirable. I had my rear 3rd member and front gears sold before I even swapped them out!

Had a 2000 Access w/3.4 for about 2 weeks 5 years ago. Received a letter from Mr. Toyota about a "voluntary frame recall"... got a check for 150% of the value of the truck. In excellent condition..

Then dumped all of that into my FJ60. Ahhhh youthful indiscretions...

Laxaholic

Adventurer
What kind of mileage did you see when the truck was stock? Love the idea of the 4cyl 4x4 access cab, if the fuel mileage is worth it. My 100 is terrible on fuel. Really like the little 2.7, if i were going to buy one tomorrow, what advice/report would you give
Me?

jeverich

Luddite
What kind of mileage did you see when the truck was stock? Love the idea of the 4cyl 4x4 access cab, if the fuel mileage is worth it. My 100 is terrible on fuel. Really like the little 2.7, if i were going to buy one tomorrow, what advice/report would you give
Me?

Saw a fairly consistent 22/24 when the truck was stock. If 4WD isn't important to you, then check out the 2WD Prerunner - I'm sure you'd see mid-20s all day long with that setup.

I don't need the power of the 4.0 V6. Yes, it would be nice sometimes - but then again, that's another truck payment. After the re-gear my rig has gotten much of it's pep back - and is completely capable through mountain passes, off-road, etc. I'm a little disappointed at a few aspects of the fit/finish on the inside of this truck, but bear in mind that opinion is coming from an FJ60 owner.. I feel like Toyota kind of dropped their utilitarian solid-feel in favor of a lot of plastic and little superfluous gadgets..

Love the truck, plan on having it for quite a while. Next project is going to be cleaning surface rust off the frame, and painting with POR-15.

Also, the rear leaf springs in these trucks is total garbage; but that's nothing new. OME Dakars are $350 new..

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I would have to go with a 4x4, might as well if you're buying a truck. I sometimes worry I would miss the power, but I know I really don't need it. As long as it could take some gear in the bed, kayaks or tow a small sailboat from time to time, that be all I used it for. Plus driving in the mountains and snow to go board. Think it'd be enough? Really looking to save on fuel versus the 100. Does the rear end stiffen up properly once changed?

Last edited:

jeverich

Luddite
For those uses, I think a 2.7 4x4 would be just fine..

I've still got an Add A Leaf from Toytec in my rear leaf pack... Ordering a new Dakar rear leaf set will be one of the first things I do when I come home from Dutch Harbor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94