Mesh globe replacement for camping lantern reviews?

LBPtaco

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Do any of you guys run a mesh globe replacement for your propane camping lanterns?

I have a lantern already and managed to break the glass globe leaving me lightless the last time i went camping. While I still had my head lamp, a fire, and a flashlight I've become very accustom to having a lantern to shed a little light on things while im moving around the camp site.

I found this mesh globe and for the price it seems like the way to go. I'm just looking for your opinions on this, or possibly recommendations on another better product.

Thanks

Chili

Explorer
My only concern with that:

"The density of the mesh may reduce light transmission."

But I too have been caught with a broken globe upon set up of camp. Fortunately we were with another couple who also had lanterns.

I'd be more likely to buy that mesh one as a back-up, in case the glass one gets broken.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
replaced my glass a few years ago,,,, reduced light output was a concern, if theres any difference i cant tell. buy with confidence.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I used this mesh with my coleman lamp..
It was alright.. a little less light but better than having a broken piece of glass and no light.

I used it heavily for 3 years until it got burn on the sides... so I gave up and bought an LED lamp.....

Much better in all aspects...

LBPtaco

Rendezvous Conspiracy
replaced my glass a few years ago,,,, reduced light output was a concern, if theres any difference i cant tell. buy with confidence.

Thats what I like to Hear.

I used this mesh with my coleman lamp..
It was alright.. a little less light but better than having a broken piece of glass and no light.

I used it heavily for 3 years until it got burn on the sides... so I gave up and bought an LED lamp.....

Much better in all aspects...

Thats another reason I'm still a little bit up in the air. Id like to have a good LED light, but I hate the thought of batteries. The solar ones are still just a little but more $$$ than I would like to spend. I think by the time my Coleman craps out, or the mesh globe gets burnt, the good solar LEDs will have dropped in price a bit.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I went with the Coast EAL20 375 Lumen LED Lantern
it gives around 80hrs to 100 hrs of light n the red light function is awesome for night time inside the RTT. it is about 8" tall and @ $33 shipping included from amazon it was a great deal..
I have used it about 60 hrs total for camping in the last 3 months n the batteries have be en holding out great....

Last edited:

LBPtaco

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I went ahead and ordered the mesh globe from amazon, now I have an excuse to go camping soon!

Will report back with reviews (at some point sooner than later)

92path_68CJ

Crawl-O-Matic
I used these mesh globes for years, camping 11 times a year.

I hate them, in my experience, there are not nearly as bright as a glass globe.
This becomes a huge problem working at night, setting up multiple tents, doing dishes, etc.

I told my scout troop we should move back to glass globes.

LBPtaco

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I used these mesh globes for years, camping 11 times a year.

I hate them, in my experience, there are not nearly as bright as a glass globe.
This becomes a huge problem working at night, setting up multiple tents, doing dishes, etc.

I told my scout troop we should move back to glass globes.

I sure hope to have better luck then you have had. I normally have everything set up before the sun goes down, but cook after dark. Worst case scenario, I'm out $8 and I go back to glass or break down for a LED lantern.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
well heres where the "everybody has an opinion" phrase comes in..:sombrero:

i didnt have a problem with reduced light output, but i also hardly ever run the thing at full tilt, glass or screen, i only need enough light to see, i dont need the critters to think its still daytime.

i have a couple LED lanterns as well, couple different kinda and sizes, they are great. i still use the propane lantern once in a while in the middle of a group type camp, but the LED lamps are all i need majority of the time.

i think the screen is a good cheap investment, i also think LED is the future and there is room for both in my camp set, maybe yours too.

perkj

Explorer
I don't understand why you think you can't use the lantern simpley because the globe broke. I'm a coleman collector and ALL my lanterns will light and stay lit without the globe on. Sure you may see some flickering in the wind and in very cold weather, but you'll still have pretty significant light coming from it.

Also - LEDs are a good option, but IMO can't come close to the light output of any of the 500 candle power Coleman liquid fuel lanterns (236, 237, 639, or NorthStar) or the Coleman Propane Northstar lantern. The NorthStars are rated at 1500 lumens and the others I have listed are even brighter when used with the Peerless 1111 mantles (the new Coleman mantles suck in regards to light output....the Peerless are exactly like the old coleman silklite mantles)

The Coleman 236 (coleman fuel) and 237 (kerosene) are no longer made but can be found on eBay. The 639 is still made and available (http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-639C7...0563&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+kerosene+lantern), as are the Northstars. I personally recommend the 639 with the Peerless 1111 mantles over the Northstars if you're only interested in a new lantern, though keep in mind the 639 is a Kerosene lantern a requires a simple preheat step. Northstars are nice (I have a couple), but the plastic collar turns me off as it give it a cheap feel compared to the 639s.

Last edited:

LBPtaco

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I don't understand why you think you can't use the lantern simpley because the globe broke. I'm a coleman collector and ALL my lanterns will light and stay lit without the globe on. Sure you may see some flickering in the wind and in very cold weather, but you'll still have pretty significant light coming from it.

I didn't even think to try, now that you mention it I'm sure it would have worked. :oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz