Cobb cooker

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
asteele said:
I was set on getting a Cobb when I ran across the Safari Chef Grill (propane) at Camping World. Now I don't know which one to buy???http://www.safarichefgrill.com/safari_chef_grills.html

I find the main advantages of the COBB over others is that you do not have to carry combustible fuel in your vehicle. Finding the containers of fuel can be hard after a while, they always seem to stop selling them and most are not refillable on your own if at all. It also has the advantage of being able to cook in so many different ways, bake, fry, roast, BBQ, etc. It is also self contained, light and relatively small for what it does (12" x12").

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
CanuckMariner said:
I find the main advantages of the COBB over others is that you do not have to carry combustible fuel in your vehicle. Finding the containers of fuel can be hard after a while, they always seem to stop selling them and most are not refillable on your own if at all. It also has the advantage of being able to cook in so many different ways, bake, fry, roast, BBQ, etc. It is also self contained, light and relatively small for what it does (12" x12").

Great points about the fuel. I haven't gotten a COBB yet but I still want one.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

calamaridog said:
Great points about the fuel. I haven't gotten a COBB yet but I still want one.

You will love it, very versatile. Another suggestion I have is I buy Kingsford Match Light easy starting briquettes and they come in various size bags as well. I get the one that is a couple of pounds say 5 or so, so don't have to carry so much extra weight and bulk. As for cooking for one, I use 3-4 briquettes each time, ready in about 10 minutes, time enough to open your RTT, put out a chez-lounge, and open that first cool one, while everyone else is still looking for a level place, or where to park for sun, or chatting, etc. I still have part of the first bag I bought and have been on several camping trips..s.say at least 20 meals so far.

Check around, now that they are known about a bit more, lots of places have them on sale. I have seen them for just the cooker for $69-99, others come with all the accessories for up to $139. Try eBay, Amazon, etc.

Last edited:

James86004

Expedition Leader
My father-in-law bought a Cobb cooker and brought it along on our last trip. It was amazing how much it could cook with a dozen pieces of charcoal. We cooked enough beef tenderloin and potatoes and corn to feed 4 adults and 2 kids on one batch of charcoal.

Attachments

• 100_2170.JPG
    100_2170.JPG
    766.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_2171.JPG
    100_2171.JPG
    881 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_2172.JPG
    100_2172.JPG
    905.3 KB · Views: 55

spressomon

Expedition Leader
James86004 said:
My father-in-law bought a Cobb cooker and brought it along on our last trip. It was amazing how much it could cook with a dozen pieces of charcoal. We cooked enough beef tenderloin and potatoes and corn to feed 4 adults and 2 kids on one batch of charcoal.

I saw a propane version on an infomercial last year and I didn't write the phone/contact info down and couldn't ever find it again. Not that charcoal isn't good...propane would be even better for me.

Chris

Adventurer
Just now saw this post Heh! kinda strange, we are leaving For DV in the morning and spent last knight testing our cobb to see how it works as an oven.

We have been using it for over a year now, took some getting use to. We like it when we are on the move and need some quick bbq action without allot of set up..... yep just throw in 8 coals lite wait....wait some more and cook. the cooking time seems to take a bit longer then normal, however once its on you dont touch it.

The results of our oven test were pretty good....did mini chocolate chip cookies, mixed berry muffins...normal size and minis, also learned some about doing croissants and I think next time they wont burn. with some testing I think anyone could use it as an oven. they are kind of small, I dont think I could get by with it cooking for more then two, seems like it would be very limiting on what you could make on it for more people unless you dont mind eating in shifts. it is however great for a whole chicken, or a couple racks of ribs, I also made a full size pizza on it....pre made of course and next time I will remember to remove the cardboard from the bottom of it LOL.

good luck!!

:chowtime:

PS I do have a full size Q as well. I like good food.

jcbrandon

Explorer
I got a Cobb cooker as a gift recently. Just tried it tonight for the first time. Best grilled chicken I've ever had. Tender, moist, no burned skin. Had some life left in the charcoal so I put few bits of apple on to grill for dessert.

targa88

Explorer
I have had one for about a year. Very versatile with the various accessories (wok, grill, roasting rack, fry pan, etc).
Amazing what such a small unit can cook up.
Put some liquid in the moat and add some more flavour.
Compact, ideal for expeditions.
Great quality - not concerned about durability at this point.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Just now saw this post Heh! kinda strange, we are leaving For DV in the morning and spent last knight testing our cobb to see how it works as an oven.

We have been using it for over a year now, took some getting use to. We like it when we are on the move and need some quick bbq action without allot of set up..... yep just throw in 8 coals lite wait....wait some more and cook. the cooking time seems to take a bit longer then normal, however once its on you dont touch it.

The results of our oven test were pretty good....did mini chocolate chip cookies, mixed berry muffins...normal size and minis, also learned some about doing croissants and I think next time they wont burn. with some testing I think anyone could use it as an oven. they are kind of small, I dont think I could get by with it cooking for more then two, seems like it would be very limiting on what you could make on it for more people unless you dont mind eating in shifts. it is however great for a whole chicken, or a couple racks of ribs, I also made a full size pizza on it....pre made of course and next time I will remember to remove the cardboard from the bottom of it LOL.

good luck!!

:chowtime:

PS I do have a full size Q as well. I like good food.

Depending on what is meant by coals and charcoal and what heat value they have, you might want to try the briquettes. As they have been compacted considerably, they last longer and have a greater heat value than charcoal. I have cooked for 2-4 people using 3-6 briquettes (Kingsford Match Lite) and the briquettes are ready in about 10 minutes and last for up to 2 hours or more.

Cooking for larger groups is greatly dependent on the menu you have chosen, as you point out it is great for a whole chicken, or a roast, ribs etc. With a grill size of 12" diameter it is limited to how many steaks or fish, etc. you can BBQ at a time. For it's size, fuel, ease of use, and diversity of cooking (Grill, bake, roast, etc.) it can't be beat!

Checked out the Dafur, but no one seems to know who is the manufacturer as yet, how much it costs and where pone can get it retail. But it looks like a worthy adversary to the Cobb.

roamingaz

Explorer
I was recently at Cabelas in Glendale, they had 3 Cobb grills in the bargin barn marked down to $59, I have thought about getting one but they seem kinda bulky.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Hunt around (Amazon, eBay, etc.), I have seen the premier with all accessories for around $99. Which is an excellent deal. Check out the CobbAmerica or USA or Cobbglobal.com sites to find out everything about them and then research price before you buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior