Cobb cooker

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Heard about these and have been looking for feedback. Anyone used one before?

This is the US supplier. I guess the design concept originated in Africa and the company making this cooker is from Australia. I read a good amount of positive feedback on an AU forum regarding these cookers.

http://www.cobbq.com/cobbstore.asp

Anyways, I think this would work well for a lazy evening in camp. Your thoughts?:chowtime:

zimm

Expedition Leader
that looks cool. i've been looking for a compact for this season. i may have to give that one a whirl.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I saw the Cobb in action for 3 days as they had a booth next to mine at the PHX ISE a few years back. Pretty nice little unit for not a lot of bucks. They we're cooking corn and burgers on it all day long making my mouth water. Like a lot of inexensive BBQs though, I think it may have a limitied life span as heat gets the better of the lighter gauges of metal.

I was at the Fred Hall show yesterday and picked up this little item http://www.pit2go.com
I liked the quality of it (14 gauge) and it solves the hassle of toting around a washtub for making a fire. :campfire: It folds flat and fits in a carry bag, can be used as a fire pit or BBQ. I'll bring it along on the Black Mtn run.

Last edited:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I was also looking at the cobb and thought about the lifespan as well...

Thanks for that link EL - cool deal - more compact than the wash tub

In January, 1994, we sat enjoying a campfire at Seacliff Beach located near Santa Cruz, California, and the idea of the PIT-2-GO® Campfire/Firepit and Bar-B-Que was "born"

I have been on that beach- maybe I know those folks ?

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Unfortunately their website does not do the product justice in images. It actually has a decent heft to it that doesn't say "WalMart".

...hey was that you running around on the beach with the flaming marshmallows chanting something unintelligible?:jump:

Last edited:

ZooJunkie

Explorer
This Cobb grill is on my Amazon wish list. I, too, am interested in real experiences with this grill. It's a bit pricey though.

BlueFly

Observer
I have a Big Green Egg at home and bought the Cobb in hopes that it might serve as a portable version of the BGE. Throw some ribs on, go fishing, come back in a few hours to a feast. It still might work like that but so far I haven't experimented with it enough to know.

It did save the day once in a downpour with two hungry kids and no dry wood- cooked a chicken in an hour under a tarp- nice crispy skin- and potatoes cut small in the moat wrapped in foil came out well.

If you buy, get the stainless steel version- the plastic sided one will melt if you overload the charcoal. Good customer service- they replaced mine when I discovered this.

It won’t do everything. Perhaps the steel version is more versatile and allows hotter temps (?) - but think low and slow cooking or baking, not grilling. Chicken great, marinated beef/pork strips OK but took a frustratingly long time, definitely will disappoint if you try steaks. It's a bit awkward to put stuff in the moat, and fat will run into it. I'd say there's a learning curve, but YMMV.

gjackson, I think you're right on with the oven comparison, and I've been meaning to try baking bread in it.

Once in a while they come up cheaper on E-bay and that might be a better way to see if it will work for you. There's one there now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190091478008&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
I remember about 8 or so years ago bookmarking (can't find it now) a story on an oven that I think is this one - it was first developed to be marketed to relief and international aid agencies for people in the third world. A cheap, super-efficient stove. As it turned out they couldn't sell them to the agencies or make them cheap enough - and so they went 'high-end' and marketed them to the west! Ironic that even we find them expensive now!

ZooJunkie

Explorer
Wow, that's great! What wonderful links. I had no idea what a fuel efficient stove would do for people who lack fuel. Very enlightening. Thank you.

-Matt

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I saw a propane equivelent to the Cobb Cooker on a TV infomercial a couple months ago for about $80...but damn I can't remember or find the name of it now! It came with a pizza/bread stone, easy clean, lid, etc.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Cobb BBQ

I have had a COBB for about a year and it is great...you can find them on line occasionally (eBay, etc.) for the whole thing (cooker, grill, grate, skillet, wok) for around $100 give or take $50. They can bake, grill, fry, smoke, BBQ, roast, etc. they are about the right size for 2-3 people cooking. can accommodate 2 smallish or one medium chicken, baked spuds are great, pizza works as well, roasts (pork/beef) are phenomenal, Chinese food in the wok is like at home. Works on 3-8 BBQ briquettes, I use Kingsford with self starting and they are ready in less than 10 minutes for about 2 hours of cooking. Base stays cool as unit gets up to 500F.

Check 'em out here...http://www.cobbcanada.ca/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier