Excursion vs. SuperDuty

BoundaryBro

BoundaryBro
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, been lurking a long time but decided it was time to register and post, this is a great resource.

On that note I have noticed a distinct lack of Excursions on the boards, however the F-series rigs seem pretty prolific. I was wondering with your experience if it is a matter just of availability or if there is an underlying issue with the Excursion that I have not been able to really find? I ask this question because I am in the market for a new vehicle that I intend to build up and ideally I would love a 'Cursion but am of course trying to do my due diligence prior to any major investment. Also, I would only be really looking for the 7.3l powerstroke in either the Cursion, F-series, or if I felt frisky maybe even an E-series.

Thanks guys. I have looked all over the forum to find info like this and could not really locate anything so if I'm revisiting anything I apologize

NC_IslandRunner

SE Expedition Society
Excursion = Boat anchor

Great as a school bus, worthless for just about everything else...But your obviously a Ford guy so it's all up hill from here!

Just bustin your balls a little, Welcome to the forum!:sombrero: except for the Excursion thing, they get stuck like it's their job.

lllateralus

Observer
What he said. ............is complete nonsense.

The Excursion is based on the F250 chassis, and is one mean beast. It is huge and heavy like a diesel super duty, but it is what it is. Its a big a** truck.
A well maintained 7.3 (!!!!!!!) excursion will be one of the most reliable rigs you can get.
The 4R100 if maintained, and fluid kept cool will last a LONG time and take some abuse from the big diesel. I've had 2 7.3 trucks, and they are GREAT.
My truck (pic below, 2003 F250 7.3) gets over 17 MPG on the highway as it sits. It will also run on bio diesel, used auto tranny fluid, etc. (I personally only run diesel)

Get a 7.3 truck.. you wont regret it.

IMG284_zpse5b9ca96.jpg

BoundaryBro

BoundaryBro
Thanks guys I'm actually a huge fan if the 7.3 and I'm just trying to decide what to wrap it in I've always been a bit more inclined towards SUV's for some reason but a crew cab short box 250 is not out of the question at all

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Thanks guys I'm actually a huge fan if the 7.3 and I'm just trying to decide what to wrap it in I've always been a bit more inclined towards SUV's

Yep... purchased new; 2001 7.3L 184,000 miles. By far, my favorite vehicle ever owned. It's has limitations fer sure, but we had it around the White Rim loop and and many Canyonland Maze Districts roads.

Repairs to date: alternator, shocks, brakes, new leather driver seat bottom and arm rest, repaint roof and hood... power steering pump needs replacing.

34352_1547558213451_7601251_n.jpg

Last edited:

xbox73

Adventurer
I went back & forth over this same issue myself. I think it boils down to a couple of issues:

- wheelbase: Excursion wheelbase is 137", same as a Regular Cab Long Bed, or Crew Cab with 5' extra short bed (if such a thing existed, the short bed is actually 6.5'). The X is already a fairly big beast to maneuver in tight urban parking lots. Sometimes I can barely get in to certain parking spots in my X, and sometimes I can't at all (even reversing in which is often easier). Attempting the same with a CCLB, a full 3' longer would in some cases be impossible. How much of an issue this is for you depends on whether you have a 2nd car, or live out in the country vs. in a built-up urban area. But IMO, the X makes a pretty good daily driver

- cleanliness of payload / whether you care what the inside of your X looks like: a pickup has a separate bed, which has certain advantages if the payload you carry is often dirty e.g. car parts, hay (which would get everywhere inside the vehicle), etc. If everything you intend to carry will be clean, or can be packed inside boxes that are clean on the outside, then this is not such a big issue, and the X has certain advantages of having a naturally enclosed bed.

- max dimensions of potential payloads: this can be gotten around using e.g. a trailer, but if what you are carrying is regularly taller than the roof of the X e.g. a motorbike, or what you are carrying is regularly longer than 5' (assuming you want to keep 2nd row seating) e.g. 8' sheets of plywood, then having an X with only a 5' effective bed is going to be a hassle

I also wanted a Ford 7.3L PSD, and looked casually (I have a 2nd car) for about 6 months to a year, unsure of whether I wanted a truck or an X. I finally spotted a particular '00 X, and knew as soon as I saw it that it was what I had been looking for - it was in reasonable condition with a few niggles that needed fixing but nothing major, reasonably priced, reasonable miles, and all of the offroad mods that I wanted had already been done (i.e. 8" all spring i.e. no blocks lift, double resi shocks in front, single smooth bodies in rear, with rear airbag assist with small compressor & in-cab controls, 37" tires, 4.56 gears, manual locking Warn hubs, ARB lockers front & rear, Warn 15k winch stealth mounted behind regular bumper, Class V hitch, roof rack with 37" spare wheel mounted, drop down steps, etc.) and I bought it within 24 hours of seeing it advertised.

Anyway, the X has worked out well for me. After fixing the few niggles (driver's window regulator, power door locks, A/C condenser & receiver/drier & 2 shocks rebuilt as they were leaking from the seals), it's been relatively trouble-free (only needed one unit hub assembly, and an alternator so far, though I also upgraded both batteries when troubleshooting). I have also recently noticed that the rear airbags have now started to lose air, but the airbags are dry-rotted (over 10 years old), so that should be fixed pretty easily once I order the right replacement airbags (and the truck will work perfectly fine without them for the week or two that they are out. The X is actually just small enough to work reasonably well as a daily driver (I now share miles between the X & my 2nd car roughly equally, just depends on what I'm up to & what I feel like), and I enjoy driving it (especially as I also put a fairly decent sound system in it, with XM radio & iPod hookups). I sometimes use it to carry spare car parts or tools etc. to help out at offroad races, and so far, with using tarps and/or spares boxes, there are only a couple of extra scrapes & oily marks on the inside in the back (some of which would probably come off with a good scrub), but I'm okay with that - that is one of its main roles, which I knew ahead of time going in. The X does quite a lot of things well, it's my Baja / snowboarding 'mission' vehicle, offroad vehicle, tow vehicle, race support vehicle & sometimes daily diver, and sometimes fills multiple of those roles simultaneously e.g. towing a race car on a trailer to an offroad race, laden with spare parts & tools. I have no regrets buying it, and would do the same again, though I occasionally get a hankering for picking up a CC LB, just for the extra room (which I may still do at some point, in addition to the X, as the prices for the 7.3s have started to come down now that they're getting on in age). But really, the X is a much more practical daily driver. While I try not to do too many very short trips in it, it's a much more feasible proposition to pop to a local shop or corner store in the X than it would be to find parking in a CC LB, so I know if I got a CC LB, it would get used much less than I use my X, and so would be difficult to justify keeping around just for those special occasions when the extra room would be much appreciated.

The other truck I like is the 06 - early 07 MegaCab with 5.9L Cummins diesel. It's solid front axle, just late enough that it's available in MegaCab form i.e. decent cab size, instead of the extended or quad cab earlier versions, and issues with predecessors have been fixed, and just early enough that it isn't saddled with overly burdensome emissions restrictions. But having another 7.3L PSD truck would have some advantages over a Cummins i.e. only 1 set of mechanics to learn & the box of spare parts that I have stored in a crate could be shared between the 2 & swapped back & forwards depending on whether I was using the truck or the X. But I don't really need anything bigger than the X, and on the rare occasion that I do I could rent or borrow a trailer or bigger truck.

An E series has certain volume advantages, e.g. you can fit 3 motorbikes inside, but the engine has certain packaging disadvantages (it's pretty tight in there, and no room for intercooler, so power is derated vs. the X & SuperDuty trucks), it isn't available stock with 4x4 (though expensive Sportsmobile or Quigley, or home-brew solutions are available/possible). Also, the regular bed (RB) seems a bit on the small side for me, and the extended bed (EB) has a rather large rear overhang. Unless I needed the interior volume e.g. for expedition vehicle interior setup, or for storing motorbikes completely inside, I'd opt for an X, or a truck with either utility bed with lots of lockable compartments or a full bed length camper shell.

Last edited:

bjm206

Adventurer
In stock form the Excursion suspension is not well suited to rough road use (very limited up travel in front). But like others have said it shares much with the F250/350 so modifications are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. A modified Ex is plenty capable compared to other similar size vehicles.

I do not know why there are relatively few on this forum (as compared to Suburbans and F250/350s) but I do see them out in the wild.

6258227336_29ece3602e_z.jpg

6258311540_8f3afe069d_z.jpg

6257780867_9b9726cdbe_z.jpg

I love the 7.3L engine, I would love to transplant the N/A 7.3L into my 1997 Yukon but the cost of the 350 Vortec is much easier and cheaper!

Why the Excursion?
3rd row seating?
Towing capacity?
4x4 of course, 7.3L for longevity, power and mileage. But what about it's Papa, the Centurion? Basicly a 92-97 Fullsize Bronco with four doors. I belive it has a shorter wheelbase than the X and would be easy enough to add the 7.3L if it hasn't been swapped over yet. I mention this version because they are capable of the same things the X would be but in a shorter wheelbase. The towing capacity might come down slightly with the shorter wheelbase but if it is inside what you need then it would be fine. I added a 3rd row to my 1997 Yukon because it wasn't an option untill 1999 but www.theseatshop.com sells weld in brackets that let a 3rd row be mounted. The onlything I have seen different in the Yukon/Suburban is the rear door is not formed to the wheelwell on the Burbs and the rear cargo bay is longer. With the 3rd row in the Yukon I have about 12" behind the seat to the barn doors, so for a long trip I would use my hitch mounted cargo carrier.

Not sure why you are picking the X exactly but there are more managable options out there as well. And since you are not buying new the possibility of a 7.3L conversion is a pretty common thing since alot of the F series parts will interchange, DuraBurb uses all GM parts for their conversions, and the same is possible for the Fords.

NC_IslandRunner

SE Expedition Society
Not Non-sense, my brother worked for the Forestry Dept., they traded in all but one of their Suburbans in on new Excursions, 2 weeks later they returned the Excursions cause they were about to wear out the Suburban pulling them out when They got stuck daily. There is a good reason why they still make Suburbans and no long make Excursions. They made less than 200,000 Excursions and quit cause no one wanted them. Not trying to be mean it's just what happened.

d67u57

Adventurer
if you need to tow heavy stuff you wouldn't tow with your regular suv,go for it.

if you need space by the truck, go for it.

if you want an off road monster(and can invest (large sums of) cash and have humongous tires), go for it.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Order sheets? How do they work?

Ford would have been happy to build those forestry excursions any way they wanted them. Max weight F350 springs, no problem, sign here. If they ordered the soccar mom setup, well, they only have themselfs to blame. If a Superduty truck can be bada$$ for forestry, no reason the X can't do the same.

Witht the proper setup, the X stomps every Burban I've driven quite handily. Noone wanted the X because noone could get one setup correctly. Nearly all of them came lowered and ugly. And a CC truck is allmost allways more practical.

Mist3rray

i have an 01 excursion 4x4 with the 7.3 and i luv it!
shes my daily driver, toybox hauler and expedition vehicle.

Best of all my Kids Luv it!! :)
45188DD6-7B9E-4999-9DFB-9138859FC448-6687-0000091EFCE1BF77.jpg
AA6DA36B-DF73-4543-9629-B2E43EE781EC-6687-0000091F37172916.jpg

definitely wish there were more threads on this beast, but its all good!
you either make due with what outs there or you make what you need. :ylsmoke:

lllateralus

Observer
A heavy duty truck with a long lasting diesel motor (7.3), and a dana 60 (or 50) solid front axle vs an IFS chevy suburban for forestry work? Someone was misinformed, lied, or didn't know WHAT they were talking about.

A 7.3 diesel 4x4 excursion is in a league of its own in durability, functionality and capability when compared to any suburban.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94