Portable tankless waterheater

rayct77

Observer
Aquastar

I have a buddy who has a brand new Aquastar in the box that he bought several years ago. He is not sure of the model but advised it's a portable unit designed to work with one lb. propane bottles or a hose adaptor off a bigger LP tank. He is offering it to me at a good price (I think). I was thinking about using it with my '64 Alaskan. Anyone using one of these?

Chris

wyojoe

Adventurer
I have the smaller Camp Chef on-demand water heater which is very similar to the Ecotemp L-5. I've used it on several occasions while camping and like it, but it does take some effort to get it set up. I have a 12V on-demand pump that runs off a deep cycle battery and is plumbed into my water tank on the inlet, then into the water heater for the discharge. I use a 20 lb. propane tank to fuel the water heater, then run the hot water to the included shower head in my shower tent. All in all, it makes for a great warm shower, and the flow rate is acceptable. The biggest drawback is the amount of setup it requires (I don't have it permanently configured yet). Oh yeah, one more thing... I also have a 45w solar array that recharges the deep cycle battery. I rarely set up all the components, but if I do, it is usually when I'm planning to stay in one place for several days. For short stays, I don't worry about recharging the battery, so the solar array stays home, and if there's a faucet to connect to, then I also don't need the 12V pump. In that case, it's just a water hose and propane connection that are needed, and that's not too difficult.

Here is a rundown of all the components I can (and sometimes do) use for my system:

Water heater (w/shower head)
20 lb. propane cylinder (w/hose)
Water tank
12V pump (w/hoses to connect to tank and to water heater)
Deep cycle battery (w/wire to 12V pump and an on/off switch for pump)
Solar array (w/charge controller and wiring to battery)
Shower Tent
large tote to carry water heater, hoses, shower accessories, etc.
(and my truck and trailer to carry it all!)

All in all, it's a lot to carry if I take everything with me, but I can also be fully self contained until I run out of water or propane.
As I said above, unless I'm staying put in one place for several days, it doesn't usually make sense to take everything with me.
I'm working on a more permanent mounting system so it is easier to set it all up, but, so far, I haven't worked it all out (yet).

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Considering the maximum legal showerhead flow rate is 2.5 gpm, 1.0 gpm isn't too bad for a camp shower.

Yes it is. Considering you are probably an extra day or two dirty and its cold outside. Thats when you want to get it over with quick. My zodi with a stronger 12 volt bilge pump is still way too weak. I wind up using the garden hose thru my main tanks pump to take a fast cold blast shower. Then I can dry off fast and be done. If its real cold Ill wet down and soap up with zodie and rinse off with both. It's really nice if the wife is there to hose me down faster. If I'm with just guys ill wash just my head and have them blast the soap out real quick. The solo part of the shower goes quick then.

Abitibi

Explorer
I'm surprised no one mentioned Eccotemp. It's a propane tankless system similar to the Coleman but more compact, more efficient and works great. Plus at $110 you can't go wrong!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Eccotemp-L5-...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cba470c89&_uhb=1

I have mine mounted inside a Spector tank that I cut off the bottom similar to this set up:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360357325.104514.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360357420.559763.jpg

I've attached a Shurflo similar to this one and a flat garden hose (more compact) and its all good!
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/shurflo-revolution-water-pump/49007

Cheers
Mr. D

kevin604

Observer
I'm surprised no one mentioned Eccotemp. It's a propane tankless system similar to the Coleman but more compact, more efficient and works great. Plus at $110 you can't go wrong!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Eccotemp-L5-...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cba470c89&_uhb=1

I have mine mounted inside a Spector tank that I cut off the bottom similar to this set up:

View attachment 143746

View attachment 143747

I've attached a Shurflo similar to this one and a flat garden hose (more compact) and its all good!
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/shurflo-revolution-water-pump/49007

Cheers
Mr. D

I love the Specter mod. Totally going to do it now. Thanks for the pics

harv3589

Adventurer
Any updates from what u guys have been using? Working good or is there now a better option out there? I'm looking for a shower unit for this year...

Abitibi

Explorer
There's a cut off at the bottom for the drain. I'll see if I can take a picture of mine instead. And to the previous question, aside from a heat exchanger running off your coolant I'd doubt there would be anything better for the price. And where did that $3500 come from?

Cheers
David

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty sure there was a link for some kind of portable diesel fired water heater in this thread, but maybe I was mistaken. But anyways the diesel fired water heater was $3,500

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94