Portable tankless waterheater

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I use an Aquastar/Bosch unit in my home. It works on the same principal as this one but is for domestic use.

Basically it works by pumping water through a series of copper tube coils as the gas burner heats the tubing. It works very well and is extremely efficient.

Zodi sells a couple of units that work on the same principal. http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Consumer/zodihottaptravelshower.html

Martyn

snowbrock

I was interested in the sportsman version until I read that it only produces 1 gallon per minute. That seems a little weak. Is it?

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
snowbrock said:
I was interested in the sportsman version until I read that it only produces 1 gallon per minute. That seems a little weak. Is it?

Considering the maximum legal showerhead flow rate is 2.5 gpm, 1.0 gpm isn't too bad for a camp shower.

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
Martyn said:
Zodi sells a couple of units that work on the same principal.
http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Consumer/zodihottaptravelshower.html

I've owned a Zodi Hot Tap X-40 Outfitter tankless water heater.

5146.jpg

My complaint with the Zodi design is that you can't turn the water off at the showerhead (without damaging the unit and/or burning yourself). For the burners to be on, water has to be flowing, and the only controls for the burners are on the heater itself. So you either need to shower right next to the heater, or walk back and forth every time you want to turn the water off.

I opted instead for a design which senses water flow, and cycles the burners on and off accordingly. What I'm using on my trailer now is an Omega 2000 unit.

PICT165.jpg

Last edited:

TheRoadie

Explorer
I've got the Zodi version, and discovered a fundamental flaw all of them (except the one you mention - the Eccotemp L5) probably have in common without a storage tank - shutting off the flow to save water to soap up means the later flow starts out WAY too hot. And might boil in the heat exchanger if you wait too long. The temperature rise is also inversely proportional to the flow rate.

To solve that, I just start the Zodi pump with the sprayer submerged in the carrying case full of water, and recirculate the water until it gets to the temp I want. Then turn off the burner and just turn the pump on or off. The reservoir doesn't cool down fast enough to be annoying. You can also keep the reservoir close enough to put the sprayer into while you're soaping to save water, but then the reservoir could get hot if you're slow.

Another issue is the Coleman and Zodi include battery powered pumps that the Eccotemp doesn't.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I've seen new Coleman units on ebay for less than $100. Just a thought. I know you usually get what you pay for and all.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
TheRoadie said:
I've got the Zodi version, and discovered a fundamental flaw all of them (except the one you mention - the Eccotemp L5) probably have in common without a storage tank - shutting off the flow to save water to soap up means the later flow starts out WAY too hot. And might boil in the heat exchanger if you wait too long. The temperature rise is also inversely proportional to the flow rate.

To solve that, I just start the Zodi pump with the sprayer submerged in the carrying case full of water, and recirculate the water until it gets to the temp I want. Then turn off the burner and just turn the pump on or off. The reservoir doesn't cool down fast enough to be annoying. You can also keep the reservoir close enough to put the sprayer into while you're soaping to save water, but then the reservoir could get hot if you're slow.

Another issue is the Coleman and Zodi include battery powered pumps that the Eccotemp doesn't.

Good post Bill. Without the pump on, the water can get to the point where it can easily burn skin.

Pete

spressomon

Expedition Leader
calamaridog said:
I've seen new Coleman units on ebay for less than $100. Just a thought. I know you usually get what you pay for and all.

The Coleman works OK. However it's kinda bulky IMO & won't run without a charge on the battery. If you have it plugged into a 12v source (I didn't realize you had to have the battery charged for the whole system to work...found that one out in camp on the first time I used it) it won't function...the battery needs to be charged, the adapter disconnected before it will work: Bizarre! But it sure was nice to have virtually (about a 2-3 second delay getting hot water...not bad) instant warm to hot water for washing hands & dishes at our hunting season opener for the 6-of us! I didn't get the shower attachment as I have a Helton HE on my LC for showers.

Gregny

Adventurer
spressomon said:
The Coleman works OK. However it's kinda bulky IMO & won't run without a charge on the battery. If you have it plugged into a 12v source (I didn't realize you had to have the battery charged for the whole system to work...found that one out in camp on the first time I used it) it won't function...the battery needs to be charged, the adapter disconnected before it will work: Bizarre! But it sure was nice to have virtually (about a 2-3 second delay getting hot water...not bad) instant warm to hot water for washing hands & dishes at our hunting season opener for the 6-of us! I didn't get the shower attachment as I have a Helton HE on my LC for showers.

I noticed that you have the Helton HE on your land cruiser. Do you like it and any pros and cons? I had recently bought one and plan on installing it on one of my atv's for a Utah trip next year and would like to know if they produce hot water well. I plan on installing mine in the next couple of weeks.

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
Used to have a Zodi dual burner and hated it, got a coleman on demand and have had no issues with it, other than directly showering with it is too bulky so we purchased the coleman battery powered shower.

We use the on demand to heat from one expandable water container to the other until the desired temp is reached then connect the battery shower which has a foot switch and use it for the shower. It allows a lot better water conservation.

809B605T_200.jpg

827-500_500.jpg

2300-700_200.jpg

That Omega 2000 sure does look good however

PS
I forgot to say you can skip the heater part and boil the billy/kettle and add the very hot water to water already in the container and start your shower - easy and simple, and very little space required

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Gregny said:
I noticed that you have the Helton HE on your land cruiser. Do you like it and any pros and cons? I had recently bought one and plan on installing it on one of my atv's for a Utah trip next year and would like to know if they produce hot water well. I plan on installing mine in the next couple of weeks.

Sorry...I just saw your post. Yes I like the HH. I use my hand throttle to adjust the shower water temp. You'll need some method for temp adjustment if you don't have a way to adjust the engine RPM's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94