How to mount roof rack on a 1996 Suburban?

headdamage

Observer
I have a 1996 K2500 diesel Suburban that does not have any sort of roof rails or rack. I'm wondering what the best way to get a big rack mount to the roof would be?

I have an ARB roof rack on my SWB Range Rover that I could use if I could figure out how to mount it. I'm guessing I'd just have to start drilling holes in the roof and fabricate some mounts but maybe someone has done this before and has some pointers?

Are there any racks out there that are made for a Suburban of this series that don't have the factory roof rails?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Several custom models.
Most mount with a plate bolted to the roof.

Attachments

• Suburban%20Rack%20Snow.jpg
    Suburban%20Rack%20Snow.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 2011_0422033.jpg
    2011_0422033.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 27
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 224

headdamage

Observer
Any close ups of or comments on how best to bold through the roof? I guessing a spreader plate with a rubber gasket and silicon seal would be good on the top side. Large washers or a spreader plate on the inside?

jay81rd

I used well nuts for my Blazer and they worked good for about 4 years. Replaced all of them this year and used longer bolts with large washers and nuts on the inside this time

Revco

Adventurer
I got sidetracked midway through my custom roof rack build for my '93 K2500, but I was just going to mount it to the factory roof rack rails with U-Bolts. Maybe get yourself a factory roof rack from a junkyard and do something similar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior