Intermittent severe vibration 2005 LR3 125000 miles

aythya

I have an '05 LR3 with 125000 miles that has twice now - approximately 500 miles between incidents- started a severe vibration. It seems to originate from the rear of the vehicle. Both times it has been at interstate speeds of approximately 75 mph.

At first I thought that I had thrown a tire weight. There are no warning lights or system notifications. Both times after pulling over and checking the rear wheels with nothing out of the ordinary visible the vibration quit and I was able to resume driving with nothing unusual.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance,

d67u57

Adventurer
if you have a set of spare wheels+tires try it out.

dont think something gets caught in the brake job from time to time? :)

aythya

Rear diff failure is what I fear. It's been whining a bit, nothing major. Ive certainly heard worse from other friends vehicles. No locking rear diff Colin and so far Chiri I've been able to hold it between the strips. No wheel damage either. Sad to say but its pretty much had a pavement life since I've owned it for just over a year...

Just had the fluids in the diffs changed and tech said there was nothing that indicated a near term failure: no major shavings, etc.

Thanks again to all.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Does the vibration continue past 75 or is it intermittent? Sounds like it's either the rear diff or the drive shaft.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I just had a situation with extreme vibration on my D1 and it was the rear driveshaft. The piece that had broken went into the rear input seal inside the rubber coupler. That said, it wasn't an intermittent vibration, it happened all the time once the driveshaft had broken. Maybe something similar is starting to happen with your LR3.

RangeBrover

Explorer
I just had a situation with extreme vibration on my D1 and it was the rear driveshaft. The piece that had broken went into the rear input seal inside the rubber coupler. That said, it wasn't an intermittent vibration, it happened all the time once the driveshaft had broken. Maybe something similar is starting to happen with your LR3.

This is my honest bet, I've seen this a few times with high mileage LR3's.

aythya

Both times it happened I had just entered the interstate from a ramp. I reached approximately 75 mph and the vibration started and got to the point where things were rattling inside the truck. It continued until I came to a complete stop. First time I got out and looked at both sides of the truck and under. Nothing visible. There was a strong smell of brake pad near the left rear tire.

2nd time: same thing but no brake smell. After both incidents I pulled back on to the highway and completed my trip with no further vibrations. It's very odd.

Hugh166

Observer
Take a look at your rear rotors and see if one looks burnt up, more so than the other. Sometimes the parking brake shoes get locked up and causes the symptoms you're talking about. If so you need to replace the rotor and the parking brake shoes, don't skip doing the adjustment procedure or you will be in the same boat again.

d67u57

Adventurer
Both times it happened I had just entered the interstate from a ramp. I reached approximately 75 mph and the vibration started and got to the point where things were rattling inside the truck. It continued until I came to a complete stop. First time I got out and looked at both sides of the truck and under. Nothing visible. There was a strong smell of brake pad near the left rear tire.

2nd time: same thing but no brake smell. After both incidents I pulled back on to the highway and completed my trip with no further vibrations. It's very odd.

bingo? :)

i locked one rear doing 100 kph once. not fun.

aythya

Great! Thanks to all. Dealer just adjusted the parking brake during the last service. Speaking of following procedures... How/where do I get a R&M Manual for this machine?

Is the Haynes/Chiltons Manual worth having? I inquired at the dealership and was politely told that "Land Rover doesn't sell "repaire & maintenance" manuals for their vehicles."

I'll take a look at the rotor tomorrow AM. The left rear caliper has already been replaced with a sticking issue on that side... Not that it has anything to do with the electronic parking brake...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94