Problems with the lighting on my expedion HF trailer build

Mowgli

Supporting Sponsor
I purchesed a 40 1/2 x 49 trailer and built it up but I'm having problems with the lighting. I did just purchase the harness for my jeep so I hope it's not that and it's the trailer. The left amber running light will not light up. The right rear is dimmer than the left and when I turn the right blinker on it alternates with my jeep blinker but the left blinker is at the same time with my jeep. When the hazards are on they alternate back and forth, the Left Roth the jeep and the right lights up when the jeep light is off giving it a back and forth effect. Now when I brake the left one lights up and the right one shuts off completely. Is the maybe a wiring problem or maybe HF put the wires into the connection wrong?

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html

jeeprok99

I had a similar problem with the exact same trailer last month. It's likely you need to scratch some paint off at the joints or where the bolt holes are. The ground wire is at the tongue and if the ground path doesn't continue well enough through the frame then you get strange tail light problems. I ran a dedicated ground wire from one of the posts on each light to the frame with a short wire and a self taping screw. Ill be welding the joints on my frame soon so this problem never returns. Good luck.

foo.c

Observer
Is the jeep harness sold by jeep? If so, it's probably the trailer. The easiest thing to do is grab a battery and some wire and figure out what each pin in the connector is actually going to.

Mowgli

Supporting Sponsor
I redid the ground from the harness. White wire on trailer tongue. I think I'll have to go through and file some paint off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier