Coleman thermoelectric cooler?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Anyone have any experience with these? Do they make a decent compromise $-wise for a fridge? I haven't heard anything about these, but the size and price are definately appealing.

5644-710_200.jpg

The fact that they don't call it a "fridge" makes me wonder.

TheRoadie

Explorer
They are reported to cool to no more than 30-40 degrees F below ambient. And they're horribly inefficient so they'll suck your battery. That's pretty much two strikes against them that price can't possibly make up for. Save for an Engel, I'd recommend.

tjbliley

Observer
what he said. I used one in my pop-up camper, a while ago and it did fine. you have to understand that I ran the air conditioning in the pop-up so the thing only had to go from 70-75 down to 40 or so to keep the milk good. I also ran it off the shore power at campgrounds or off the tow vehicle through the 7way plug so I never had to deal with battery life. It will cool down to 30-35 below ambient, but that is all and it takes a good bit of power to do it.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Ha ha, I only had to read the first reply to make my decision. Thanks guys! Yeah, I may live in Michigan, but even here it gets warm enough in the summer for that setup not to work. That said though, I've been without a fridge to this point and I get along just fine. My "fare" is more backpacking type foods in order to keep things simple. Honestly though after being on this forum for a couple of years and seeing some of the feasts you guys are making out on the trail, I'm starting to go soft and want a fridge and maybe some of those other fancy ammenities.:D Maybe its a sign of getting old. haha

Speaker

Adventurer
Since we're on the topic of cheaper "alternatives" does anyone have experience with the Coleman "ultimate xtreme" 6 day coolers? How well do those perform? I don't normally need to freeze things, just keep cool milk, eggs, juice, chicken, etc...

TheRoadie

Explorer
I was very pleased with the 58 qt. Ultimate xtreme I had before the Engel. It melted very little ice except when we put in room temp soda, beer and wine. But for two people, we needed an ice resupply on day 4. Even if the cooler doesn't leak much heat in through the walls, every cooler reacts the same way to adding more warm heavy items. Want to buy a Coleman?

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Coleman thermoelectric cooler?

I have one in my garage that you can have for free. It's a total piece of junk.

On the other hand, I'm very happy with my Extreme 6-day cooler.

Big_Geek

Drop Bear
Had one. Got it for free and that's what it was worth. I sold it at a garage sale for $5 or $10 b/c I was tired of it taking up space.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Not the exact unit, but I have a similar unit from Koolatron.

Not only did it not cool evenly or low enough, it sucked extremely high amounts of power. As a test one day, I hooked it up to a deep cycle battery that is usually used to power a small 35lb thrust Minnkota trolling motor. With that battery, we could troll small boat all day (12 - 14 hours) - solid battery. With the Koolatron attached, it went less then 24 hours on a full charge.

It's to the point where if you leave it running overnight while attached to a standard car starting battery, you are at risk of not being able to start the vehicle the next morning.

Since I bought an ARB/Engel, it hasn't left the basement.

Pete

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Speaker said:
Since we're on the topic of cheaper "alternatives" does anyone have experience with the Coleman "ultimate xtreme" 6 day coolers? How well do those perform? I don't normally need to freeze things, just keep cool milk, eggs, juice, chicken, etc...

Excellent coolers. I have one that I use when I go Salmon fishing. I can confidently place fresh fish in there with good ice chips and know that it will need little attention for the first 24 hours and then additional ice every 18 hours or so to keep it all fresh.

But like any ice cooler, it's a good idea to drain it regularly and keep it out of direct sunlight.

Pete

LAW

Adventurer
yup... they are no good...

i was driving down the highway one day and had one of those colemans start melting down on me filling the truck with smoke

now i have an engel and couldnt be happier :wings:

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Post resurrection!

We purchased the coleman and took it for it's maiden voyage this weekend with the AZFJ crew. I have to say, I'm pretty happy with it and don't miss having to deal with an ice mess at all. It was tested this time however in overnight temps of 30 degrees, so keeping things cold wasn't much of an issue. Our main question now is being able to keep stuff cool in 100+ degree Phoenix summers....with that kind of power draw we would have to do a second battery install (it's on the list anyways) just to keep it from killing the battery.

Does anyone have any experience with this in such climates, or should we just take it back and *gulp* invest in an ARB/Engle/whatever? I got this because I just cannot bring myself to pay $600+ for a fridge for our car.

4RunAmok

Explorer
My coleman almost sucked dry my Odyssey PC1700 deep cycle battery that was newly installed. It was only about 8 hours. I've seen an engle have no effect on the same battery after 24 hours.

The problem with these coolers is they have to remain full-steam, constant power all the time. It doesn't shut off when it's efficiently staying cool. Further, the peltier cooling method is not an efficient way of cooling.

We've had ours for years. It's worked well on road trips, but it isn't holding up for trails/camping. That in mind, I also now have a jump pack.

April will be when I get an Engle. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles