Best year of the 100 series for the wife?

Roaddevilwayne

Would like to buy one soon and would like any advise from you guys that have um. Good or bad years or trim levels. Plan is to have my wife drive it and when she wants to get another vehicle It will be my vehicle. Always thinking ahead;)

shfd739

Observer
I'm thinking '06 or newer due to the more powerful motor.

And if it was me id find a non-AHC model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Klierslc

Explorer
Take a look a the Slee off road 100 series guide. Pick out which features you and the wife want, buy that year cruiser. Only note that I have is that I have heard the factory toyota nav system can be a bit of a pain--I have never used one, but it might be worth researching/asking.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
My only dislike is the NAV on my 2004, however it works as advertised and is only a small annoyance. I would go 03+ for the 5sp tranny and just live with the NAV. The 5spd tranny is worth it alone.

AHC also has its advantages and can be swapped out if you intend to lift the vehicle.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I had a 2000 and now have a 2005, and the 2005 is worth the investment if you can swing it. You wouldn't think the small gain in power would cause much improvement but, probably with the help of the 5 speed transmission, it doesn't feel underpowered, which the 2000 often did.

It is a pain that a later years pretty much preclude aftermarket nav and audio systems. That said, though, if you have to be stuck with a factory system, they're pretty good.

I've said it often, but I'll repeat that I don't think there's a truck that will serve as well as both a daily driver and a serious overland vehicle. You can have big tires without a lift, the height control will give you plenty of clearance, and while the AATRAC may get stick from the most hard core wheelers, for overlanding it is a very nice system. You will want to exchange the fiberglass running boards for something less breakable. My truck has MetalTech sliders and I can't see how they could be better designed; the women in the household find the slider just perfect as a step.

attachment.php

My major point, I guess, would be that the 100 is a vehicle that can be your wife's daily driver and your overlanding vehicle at the same time. That's how we've done ours. For most of the time, it's just another cushy mall crawler, but by just putting a roof rack on the top and figuring out sleeping space in the back (try here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77938 for one approach), you're set for all but the worst terrain.

Mike.jpg

86tuning

Adventurer
Newer=better, as is the case with most things. Buy the newest one you can find with the best service history and lowest mileage, at a price you can afford. But maybe you already knew that :D

zimm

Expedition Leader
nicest with the 5 speed. if you can locate an 03 thats as nice but cheaper than an 07, buy it.

stonepa

Observer
Would like to buy one soon and would like any advise from you guys that have um. Good or bad years or trim levels. Plan is to have my wife drive it and when she wants to get another vehicle It will be my vehicle. Always thinking ahead;)

If she's anything like my wife she will end up liking the vehicle and driving it forever. In that case I would get her a Lexus RX400h and use the gas savings to buy your own 100.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
If she's anything like my wife she will end up liking the vehicle and driving it forever. In that case I would get her a Lexus RX400h and use the gas savings to buy your own 100.

Too late for me too, wife loves the LX.

86tuning

Adventurer

Those RX400h and RX450h are sweeeet machines that get phenomenol fuel economy. Also, something that you may not realize, is that with the regenerative braking, they use very little brakes. My buddy's wife's RX400h has almost 100k miles on the original brake pads, still has almost 5mm (7/32)" remaining. Will prolly go to 150k before the pads will need to be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles