anyone running a fridge in rear of Jeep or truck bed???

Jevy

Adventurer
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what to do about a cooler or fridge for my set up. I was wondering if anyone is running a fridge in the rear part of a jeep/suv or truck bed? Just curious how well it performed being out in the hot air in the summertime. Also if you guys have any pictures of your setup that would be great as well. Trying to figure out how to mount one in a manner that it doesn't limit the use/versatility of the rig.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've had a fridge in the back of my truck or open top Land Cruiser on hundreds of occasions over the last ten years, zero issues with hot air. Mine is against the bedside and up against the tailgate.

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
The fridge is worse off inside a vehicle in the summer since the heat exchanger must then use hot air inside the vehicle to try and cool the inside of the fridge. So long the fridge has a cover of some kind to block radiant heat it will be more efficient in fresh air ( outside the cab). Mine is inside my truck cab though, the only place available in the bed is near the tailgate and that location (behind the roll center) would unnecessarily shake up my beverages :)

STREGA

Explorer
I have a new style ARB fridge in the back of my FJ Cruiser. It works just fine during the summer here (we see mid 90's to low 100's), it does run more often of course than during the spring or fall. Mine has been in the FJ since May '09 and has never missed a beat and is by far the best/most used mod that I have done to the FJ.

As someone else has mentioned make sure to mount it down securely, not only to keep it from walking off but to keep it from flying around if you were to be in a wreck, rollover or normal offroading. I've seen to many poorly secured fridges the last few years (bungee cords really?), fridges are expensive and spending a few extra $$ to properly secure them will help protect your investment.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
I had an Engel 45 mounted in the bed of my '72 F-250 for a few years with no problems. I did cut and duct-tape together a cover from a blue tarp to keep the rain and snow off of it. it was mounted on a Transit Slide-Loc in the back corner of the bed.

FWIW: The Slide-Loc held the frig in place in a rollover.

Dennis

4x4junkie

Explorer
Mine is mounted on a slide in the back. Haven't had any issues with heat (temps often being in the mid-high 90s for me as well). I do try to make an effort to park out of the sun when I can (or at least park with that side of the vehicle away from the sun), however that doesn't always happen 100% of the time. Yet I've never come back and seen the temp rising above the thermostat setting.
Keeping it covered helps as well.

More pictures here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...r-drawer-storage-system?p=1135873#post1135873

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I have the new-style ARB in the back of my truck bed secured with the slide on Mac's tie-down tracks. Has been there year round for going on 4 years now.

P6100091.jpg

Last edited:

6x6pinz

Adventurer
Been running mine inside for a while now. No ill effects and very convenient. Don't see myself going back to a ice chest in the near future. This one is running off my solar electric system. Love that I can go shopping for camping groceries early in the week and put them in the fridge without worry the kids will get into them:)

Attachments

• refridgerator freezer install 002.jpg
    refridgerator freezer install 002.jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 12

Trailfrog

Adventurer
Here is mine in the back of my 4dr JK. I have since built a cover for the fridge side so I can pack on top and around it and still be able to slide the fridge out. I also built a sleeping platform extension that I use when I am traveling alone.

GEDC0933.JPG

GEDC0940.JPG

Here is one of the sleeping platform extension

PB240136.JPG

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I live in arguably one of the hottest places on earth.... The transit bag makes a HUGE difference. I have my engel 45 mounted in the rear of my 06 LJ. I custom fabbed the slide lock to a set of locking slides. It is versatile and easy to remove all while being thief proof. Although I don't go out in the 120 degree heat very often it does perform well.image.jpg

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I had this setup in my LJ; works great and I never had any problems with overheating. There's a gap between the fridge and the drawer (cheap from Staples and also works great) for air circulation

DSC_3688.jpg

Jevy

Adventurer
One more question fellas.......for those of your running it basically in the elements do you have to do anything special to keep it from rain or the weather? I saw somewhere that there is a cover for it but from what I understand that is suppose to help with the insulation characteristics and not protection from the elements???

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
One more question fellas.......for those of your running it basically in the elements do you have to do anything special to keep it from rain or the weather? I saw somewhere that there is a cover for it but from what I understand that is suppose to help with the insulation characteristics and not protection from the elements???

The cover does serve primarily as insulation therefore increasing in efficiency of the unit, however it's fair to say it absolutely help with protecting the unit from the elements, if nothing else giving you a 'first layer of defense'. I've had mine so covered in grime that I had to pressure wash them. I'd be careful about recommending that as a cleaning option but mention it to illustrate just how tough these fridges can be. I have a customer that has had a fridge running for 15+ years straight in the back of a truck that collects well water samples in their municipality. To my knowledge it's stored outside year round, often used to keep the samples from freezing rather than keeping it cold :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94