Ford F250 & Northstar TC650

coulter6

Observer
We really like the TC650. For the two of us (no pets) it's just the right size for what we do. The reasons we got the TC650 (in no particular order): 1. Bed runs North-South, 2. extra storage under the bed, 3. well built, nice quality and attention to detail, 4. fits in the bed of the truck with little overhang, 5. integral gray water storage, 6. plenty of storage in the camper, 7. customer support from Northstar, 8. looks nice on the truck :eek:)

An extra 1.5' would be nice, but I didn't want the overhang. I wanted the SB truck with a camper that fit the bed for maneuverability and handling. There's plenty of storage for the two of us. If there were 3, then the extra 1.5' may be welcome. The TC650 would be tight for 3, I think I would get a long bed truck and go with the TC800 for 3 or more, especially if I were towing.

If I were by myself, then I probably would have bought a FWC/ATC for the lower clearance and lighter weight. I would be doing a different kind of camping. The wife doesn't like the extreme off-road camping I had done in the past.

The truck came with upper and lower helper springs. The upper helper spring bump stops don't engage with the camper on the truck, still some room between spring and bumper. The StableLoads help a lot with the handling although they really aren't needed from a suspension standpoint. Here's the blurb from Torklift: "The StableLoad dramatically improves the vehicles handling characteristics by "pre-activating" the stabilizing effect designed into the rear springs by keeping them actively under load the way your vehicle factory engineers designed them to operate". I believe they work as advertised.

We looked a while for a Northstar camper and were prepared to drive considerable distance to get one. Fortunately, our TC650 came up for sale locally and we bought it. If it happened to be a TC800, we probably would have bought that. There are not many out there for sale, especially close by. I think you should look at the TC800 and if it's in good condition, get it. The extra length wouldn't be that noticeable and you will have room for your family to grow. Torklift make a hitch extension.

Of course, as always, these our my opinions and they will vary from person to person.

Good luck.

brian90744

American Trekker
Joe.
With your chevy K2500 4x4 either camper would be no problem, I agree with "coulter6" if you find a Northstar @ the right priceand in the condition you want, don't pass it up. If you have a dealer near you go and check out both models, I'm very happy with mine TC650 on chevy1500 HD. I did add air bags for off-roading, maybe they help??
brian

Bob.
nice trip I wished we could have joined you for a few days near Grants NM around the El Malpais National Conservation Area.

Looks like a good time.

How do you like your Northstar TC650? Are you completely happy with your decision, or do you sometimes wish you went with something lighter and smaller? Or do you wish you went with the TC800 and gain that extra 1.5 foot of extra space? Is it primarily two of you camping? Do you have dogs that accompany you also? Would you feel comfortable sleeping three in there? I'm asking all these questions because we are in the hunt for a pop truck camper...something used and probably a Northstar. I want to get the TC650, but my wife feels like it may be to small especially when our family grows to three. But a lot of our excursions we will be towing a ski boat, or dirt bikes, so a shorter top I would not have to put a hitch extension on, easing the nerves on the highway.

I'm surprised to hear that you needed helper springs on a 3/4 ton truck. The TC650s are very hard to find used in our price range, but there is a TC800 close by that is in our price range, we haven't had a chance to crawl around in it yet.

Glad you are enjoying your new toy!

Last edited:

mkish

Adventurer
The overhang on the TC800 for a shortbed isn't THAT bad (but I don't tow). We did get the giant bumper on ours which adds a few inches, and the storage under the wings, but it's not so big an overhang that we feel we need to move the license plate to the camper from the truckbutt. It's not sleek and graceful like a TC650 would have been but we do squeeze a lot into it.

We were tempted to even go with the 850 but the 800 is better for everything except showering and going potty (which you can't do in the 850 with the top down). The table size in the 800 is better for 4, or for making someone sleep on the dinette which we do.

Joeprunc

Observer
Thank you guys. We are just starting our camper search and the more opinions I read, the more knowledgeable I become. Before I had a Tacoma, and was only looking at a FWC. But in plans of a larger family we sold both of our Tacomas and bought a full size. Now I have the option to haul a larger pop top, and my research has completely changed. And after looking at the additional items on the larger pop tops, I have ruled out the FWC. Although I feel the FWC do look the best on an expo truck, they don't seem to meet all the needs we require.

The TC800 for sale is a 2001 and looks to be in decent shape. Its specifically for a short box, so it has the rear side storage compartments. Its going for just under $7K. I know they sell for $14k-$16k new, but since I haven't seen many used for sale, I don't know if its a good price or not.

We are also waiting for a local RV Camper show in March, to help us get a better feeling for several different brands....though I kind of feel the RV show is going to be specifically towards RVs and towables.

mkish

Adventurer
If you didn't have the storage compartments on the shortbed model, where would you keep your leveling blocks?

(I bet Coulter has a spot for those! :) )

coulter6

Observer
If you didn't have the storage compartments on the shortbed model, where would you keep your leveling blocks?
(I bet Coulter has a spot for those! :) )

Yep, I do. I use area the between the camper and truck bed on the passenger side accessed through the small door. I store the 2 leveling blocks, some small sections of 2x8s and a small step stool. Oh, also the support for the HitchGate (see below)
P1000793_zpsc28cde75.jpg

P1000795_zps07768b59.jpg

The hitchGate is quite heavy with the spare and 8 gallons of gas. It has to remain swung out during the night so we can get in & out ;)
I thought that being open like this for an extended period of time would stress the hinge so I can up with a device to support the open gate.
2013-02-05154524_zps68cb118a.jpg

Last edited:

mkish

Adventurer
Ooooh!

That's a nice feature I guess you lose with the rear wrap. I have to shove things in through the holes on the inside.

Do you ever worry that a prankster will lock you in at night?

When did I get so paranoid? :)

coulter6

Observer
Do you ever worry that a prankster will lock you in at night?

HaHa, that thought has crossed my mind. That would be real funny to some of the guys I camp with.

The stairs block the HitchGate from being closed. I think I would hear and feel someone messing with the stairs and hitch, but if they ever got it locked up, the Northstar has a built in escape zipper in the front of the bed that would allow egress.
2013-02-05154556_zps5eef8367.jpg

mkish

Adventurer
Ah yes. The emergency exit. Maybe I'm prissy but that windshield is filthy by the time I get anywhere. Guess it beats getting stuck in the tiny useless passthru window.

grizz

2001 for 7k. if in good shape sounds about right. Pricing on these used pop ups are all over the place. If the options are there and in good working order and fits the truck, do it. I can tell you this, there is no perfect rig. Some times its too small, sometimes too big, should have bought a trailer, goes on and on. So win the lotto and buy one of each.

good luck

you are spot on between the hawk and the northstar for your application.

mkish

Adventurer
Slightly off topic, but do any of you NS guys think that adjustable table leg would work for the bigger table on the 800? It's 18"x48" and weighs 21 lbs (feels like 40 somehow). It's on two pedestals. Hard to get into, a hassle to turn into a bed. I think I'll put it on drawer glides to help get around the propane tank, but a single adjustable leg would be nicer (even if I have to prop up the ends when the kids are eating).

On the bright side, the table is really really really sturdy and we actually all fit at it...:)

brian90744

American Trekker
On my TC650 the table wobbles badly on one round post. I'd like to know if someone has a stable table??
brian

Slightly off topic, but do any of you NS guys think that adjustable table leg would work for the bigger table on the 800? It's 18"x48" and weighs 21 lbs (feels like 40 somehow). It's on two pedestals. Hard to get into, a hassle to turn into a bed. I think I'll put it on drawer glides to help get around the propane tank, but a single adjustable leg would be nicer (even if I have to prop up the ends when the kids are eating).

On the bright side, the table is really really really sturdy and we actually all fit at it...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior