USA Venturecraft Trailblazer... A good buy?

Vantage

Adventurer
Hi everyone,

I think I have finally found my future expo trailer a USA Venturecraft Trailblazer. I am just curious to see if any owners (or knowledgable people) knew any reason not to buy one of these trailers. They seem like a great starting platform for 2 young people that are just getting into backcountry camping, like my girlfriend and I are.

The trailer is $3000 and is in good condition on near new 31" tires, with a few stains on the canvas. It also comes with a battery and tongue mounted ARB fridge.

The only additions I would likely make are adding a water tank to the tongue in between the fridge and tub, using a frontrunneroutfitters slim 40L tank, a propane tank mount (if I can make one fit) and an awning.

I read a few people have had issues with the drawbar being a little flimsy. Is this a serious problem? Should I reinforce the bar before adding a water tank? The last thing I need is a bent bar when I am out in the bush. All the roads we travel on are bumpy gravel logging roads. No serious offroading trails. Vehicle speed would probably be 30mph.

Here are a few pictures for reference.
DSC_4226.jpg
DSC_4240.jpg
DSC_4255.jpg
DSC_4263.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Looks like a useful trailer to me. I have not heard of these, but it looks good from here. lol $3k might be high, or not... hard to tell the condition. What were they worth new??

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Hard to find so at 3K is not an over the top price. I feel as others the frame is substandard for real off road use. If purchased I would factor in upgrading the frame. FWIW I love mine

Attachments

• trailer4.JPG
    trailer4.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 32

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I have been using mine on more then a few trips with no problems, however I will reinforce my frame soon. It seems like you will have to if you want to add more weight in the front. As for the price they are very hard to find, but it seems high to me when you have to take into account the reinforcement of the frame and possibly replacing your axle to give you peace of mind!

100_5513-X2.jpg

Vantage

Adventurer
How did or do you plan on reinforcing your frame? Triangulating the front? A full new custom frame? Or just some gusseting?

I do not know how to weld so any reinforcing will be at my expense.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Pictured (not mine) is what you start with minus the full skid plate.

I built a new complete frame independent of the tub.

Attachments

• DSC09343.jpg
    DSC09343.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 124

Scott Brady

Founder
I owned one for about a decade and really enjoyed the trailer. If it is in good condition, snap it up. They are sweet.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
A little light on the subframe, but it looks like an easy fix. Neat trailers, good concept!!

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Here is a nice video to give you a more complete idea of what you can do with it!

[video]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=usa+venturcraft+camper&view=detail&mid=81F42051903F6F1E2D5281F42051903F6F1E2D52&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR[/video]

Xrunner

Explorer
Looks like a solid deal, especially with the battery and ARB fridge.

I would look it over in detail before buying, see if you can negotiate the price down any for the canvas stains (you don't know unless you ask), and then use it. Since you aren't planning on doing serious offroading try it out before deciding where you want the water tank and if/when you want to reinforce the frame.

Vantage

Adventurer
Awesome guys, thanks for input. I can't wait to go see it in person.

Sadly, my girlfriends birthday is this weekend so I cant drive down to Seattle. But the following weekend if all looks good I will be a happy camper. Literally.

3rovers

Dennis Yard KI6TUC
My wife and I have enjoyed our for several years, haveing picked it up from another couple in our local LR club.

The Venturecraft is a nice trailer. Well thought out tent and mattress with inside access to the trailer bed.

It pulled nicely behind the Discovery I on Mojave Road through the woop de doos for example.
One of these days we will get wheel converters so i can use the same wheels as the Defender.
I've always wanted the piece of mind to have a spare tire for it.

Dennis Yard
93 NAS Defender 110
04 Disco IIIMG_1703.JPG

Vantage

Adventurer
Sadly I could not pick up the trailer.

It was titled as home made in Washington, and you cannot brig a home made trailer into Canada. The owner lost the real VIN so there was nothing I could do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior