Boomer the Quadravan 4x4 Camper

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Thanks for the kind words guys.

I put that new welding wire to work before some storms rolled in last night.

The steps and diagonal supports are pretty solid. I can walk up the ladder without issue and this is without the latch being fabricated yet which would significantly increase stiffness. I tried it first with the round tubes only and didn't like how it felt under foot, so I added flat treads to the upper 2 rungs.

The propane bottle mounted up fine. I'm going to add a base plate to catch the bottom ring of the tank tonight, but that will mostly be handy for loading. Those clamps are legit.

After it started raining I went inside the shop to build a couple guards for the LED brake light bar which will be mounted to the door of the box and also the new license plate LED light which will be integrated into the box rack.

Box rack fab tonight.

SG

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
On the campers I've had with 20-30 lb propane tanks, the base rings of the tanks have had holes or slots in them I've passed a padlock through, locking them to the plate they sat on. All those tank brackets on the tongues of travel trailers seem pretty generic. Might be worth integrating this into your base plate for security since those fork truck rings don't lock.

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I like your sense of humor, and I generally get it, but I gotta ask... Are you from a country that spells words funny, or are you poking fun at our fellow Americans that get into overlanding and suddenly start writing in the King's English?

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Poking fun, but not specifically at anybody. No offense intended, I assure you.

Luckily this thread isn't about me or my sense of humor....now THAT would be boring.

SG

Last edited:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
A little bit more accomplishment last night.

I apologize for the crappy pictures.

The box-top rack is ready to be mounted. It's a little on the lightweight side of things but realistically the box-top will be home to the grille and a trash bag, so this doesn't need to be mil-spec. The frame material is 1/2x1/2 1/16" wall. The license plate mount is on the LH side of the rack and you can see in the pic the plate light armor.

I finished up the propane tank rim shelf and will blow a couple holes in it for a lock per Mwilliamshs's suggestion above.

Lastly,

The 3rd brake light with armor backing plate. I foresee most damage coming from the top and front, so this should cover most of my potential problems. Time will tell. This will mount to the lower portion of the drop door on the box.

I hoping to finish up fabrication on the swing outs tonight and get them stripped for painting. Then off to rusty sheetmetal repair land....

Fun Fun.

SG

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I like your sense of humor, and I generally get it, but I gotta ask... Are you from a country that spells words funny, or are you poking fun at our fellow Americans that get into overlanding and suddenly start writing in the King's English?

No worries. I wasn't offended. Just giggling to myself.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
So what's the sequence of steps for going up the ladder you are planning? It's all looking good, BTW.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
It is all rather TBD at the moment. Without the spare tire mounted it is hard to tell how exactly one would navigate the path. The first step is from the ground to the bumper with the second step being the bumper to the top swing-out frame tube. Then from there the ladder is up up up. The next portion of ladder which would be integrated into the roof rack would just continue with the same path and tread pitch for possibly 2 more steps. The spare tire being in the way of ladder access will actually be a good thing I think....both swing-outs will be locked so access to the ladder will be limited to those who can unlock the spare and swing it out of the way.

SG

spencyg

This Space For Rent
www.rockauto.com

I think I've got about $350 into full door seals all around and then the front ds and ps window seals.

Not too cheap but it is a must-have for keeping the water out.

SG

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Best Weatherstrip

I almost included some weatherstripping in a recent RockAuto order. I'm really glad I didn't.

WARNING: LONG POST. SORRY, I'M BORED AT WORK AND DON'T LIKE WASTING MONEY ON CHEAP THINGS THAT DISAPPOINT OR EXPENSIVE THINGS THAT DON'T LIVE UP TO THE HYPE. IF YOU WANT TO SKIP THE READING BELOW HERE'S THE GIST: REALLY GOOD WEATHERSTRIPPING FOR '75-'91 FORD VANS IS AVAILABLE FROM STEELE RUBBER PRODUCTS AND IT'S CHEAPER THAN I EXPECTED. LIKE, WAY CHEAPER.

I'm as broke as any other college student with a big van can be so I just assumed premium products for my 25-year-old vehicle were out of the budget. While suede seatcovers and mother-of-pearl door handles are definitely out of the question, the best rubber products available are WAY more affordable than I would've ever expected.

Steele Rubber Products is now producing weatherstripping for this era of Ford Van. It's a recent development and I happen to know they have some products available which haven't even appeared on their website yet. They worked with a guy from the now defunct (or at least renamed/moved?) vannin' forum that I couldn't find tonight. He either loaned them his van or shipped them the stock rubber off it, I forget which. Either way, they copied the original weatherstripping and tooled up to manufacture it. I don't have any experience with these particular products from Steele yet; it's just a matter of time/$ but the products I've used from them previously have always been TOP NOTCH. If you watch that TV car show My Car's a Classic or whatever, the one hosted by the guy with the big mustache who's buddy-buddy with Jay Leno you've probably seen the Steele segment where they install weatherstripping as a demo/promo. I just assumed products as excellent as I know them to be and advertised with such flair and so well known in their market must be very expensive. WRONG.

I'm not associated with them at all; I've just been impressed repeatedly by their products. A college buddy in Texas bought a complete set from them for his convertible 60s muscle car and I helped install it. Well, it basically installed itself. All the plastic pushpins were exactly where they belonged, everything was perfectly custom cut and for the fairly complicated convertible pieces, we had their tech support on speakerphone the entire time. That car's been his daily driver for about 4 years now and I rode in it just the other day. We both commented on how quiet the top is when up and he says it's never leaked a drop. I came home the following summer and got a job at an aluminum boat factory building their fiberglass consoles. The 'glass edges were wrapped in Steele's push-on edge trim. So were the edges of hatches and the bottoms of seats and every sharp aluminum edge on some of the nicest aluminum boats on the water. Steele's stick-on extrusions sealed their hatch doors and Steele's plugs and grommets sealed their firewalls and protected cabling. That boat manufacturer was selling boats with a 100% satisfaction guarantee from bow to stern. EVERY thing on those boats was extensively tested in and out of the factory. I personally mounted pleather-wrapped steering wheels from 3 different suppliers on a sheet of aluminum outside so they could evaluate UV and corrosion resistance long-term. The on-water testing of the ski-boats was also part of my job (if you'd call it work). Those were good times. The owners were bringing in 5 year old boats for re-paint-jobs under warranty. I couldn't believe it. Free paint jobs! On 5 year old camouflage duck hunting boats! I'm just saying they are a conscientious company who stand behind their products and chose Steele for good reason.

Here's what surprised me: I'd never been the paying customer in my past experiences with Steele products. I'd gotten paid (either by a buddy with free beer and pizza or a job with a real paycheck) to install them and knew them well but never knew what they cost. As I've said, I assumed they must be pricey. RockAuto (who were selling Fairchild and Metro brand weatherstripping last time I checked) is just a couple dollars under the cost of Steele products. Front door seals for example, RockAuto has for $29.79/ea and Steele has them for $67.20/pr. The RockAuto products may be just fine, but for ~$8 I'd go with what is widely considered THE top name brand of automotive weatherstripping and put my trust in their 100% guarantee.

Sorry for the long post but I get excited when I find out I can afford something really good on my meager budget. It's like finding Bonefish's Bang Bang Shrimp on the menu at Long John Silver's. Nothing bugs me like a wind whistling window so I'm super ready to get mine sealed up with some of that soft Steele. What a weird name for a rubber maker, right?

Hey, boomer builder, what'd you think of the weatherstrip you installed?

spencyg

This Space For Rent
The stuff I got from Rockauto was good enough quality that I didn't mind spending the money. My ONLY gripe with it was one of the annoying metal clips on the window wipe seal wasn't in the right place....so I'd give the overall kit maybe a 8 out of 10....

SG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier