Inreach de-activated and ipad

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I bought an ipad without the GPS chip, silly me. If I bought an inreach but did not "activate" it (or let the subscription run out), would it still feed reliable GPS signals to the ipad? I realize I could not use any of the send/receive features.
I want the inreach for the future. when i do travel I will activate the features

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

gotink

Observer
Check out bad elf and dual, I use the dual and it been bang on its around $100 and will do what you want...

A

agavelvr

"would it still feed reliable GPS signals to the ipad?"
Yes

are you sure? When I bought mine, I had to activate service before it would serve GPS. Perhaps they fixed that by now...

fishbum

Observer
There was a firmware release last year that made the GPS on the inReach the source for location information, not the paired phone.
I have several units, I just tested this on a inactive device - paired, connected and the Earthmate App is telling me "Accuracy +/-42 feet" by my window...
I'm relieved, you had me second guessing my response!

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I use the Garmin GLO with my iPad. Rock solid, fast lock, pairs easily and reliably with the iPad. I chose it because the reviews from the aviation community were very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier