Pioneer Tool Trailer M101A1 Frame Build

NMC_EXP

Explorer
"Anyone have any insight on good alternatives/sources for the wood shims that are between the body and the frame?"

Rather than wood, UHMWPE or HDPE (think cutting board material) would be a good choice. It will not absord water and has a little "give" to it.

Can be sourced from McMaster Carr but I'm sure there are other suppliers online.

Regards

Jim

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks clean, The nuts on my 101A2 were the oval locking style.
I took everyone off before blasting and cleaning. They broke off easier with an impact gun.
I had the frame stripped in about 2 hours.

How did the body look underneith?

List the lights and other parts on steel soldiers or craigslist.

xlobsterboyx

Observer
Looks clean, The nuts on my 101A2 were the oval locking style.
I took everyone off before blasting and cleaning. They broke off easier with an impact gun.
I had the frame stripped in about 2 hours.

How did the body look underneith?

List the lights and other parts on steel soldiers or craigslist.

The body looked fairly good underneath: some surface rust but will sandblast away easily.

Tried the impact wrench with zero success, tried soaking in PB Blaster and torch as well. About three hours total to get all bolts and brackets removed. Next project is frame disassembly. Looks like the crown nuts on the leaf springs are the key to getting everything apart.

xlobsterboyx

Observer
Anyone have any insight on good alternatives/sources for the wood shims that are between the body and the frame?

Rather than wood, UHMWPE or HDPE (think cutting board material) would be a good choice. It will not absord water and has a little "give" to it.

Can be sourced from McMaster Carr but I'm sure there are other suppliers online.

I was thinking about doing rubber. Has anyone used rubber on any other trailers?

JUNAC

Observer
Nice to see another Pioneer tool trailer build. Hope to steal a few of your ideas. Mine was painted years ago with POR-15 and it has held up well. I originally used mine for tools but I got onto this site and want to use it now for hauling outdoor gear on one side and a decked out chuck box on the other. So far all I've had time to do is empty my tools, remove the overweight tongue support leg, and weld on a swivel crank type (something I should have done years ago). Got some vacation time coming, hopefully I can do more in the coming weeks. Here's a link to my build.http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77672-So-I-ve-got-this-Military-Tool-Trailer

NMC_EXP

Explorer
"I was thinking about doing rubber. Has anyone used rubber on any other trailers? "

If there is little or no relative motion between the box and frame rubber might work. If there is much "squirming" between the two rubber may not have enough abrasion resistance.

If you try rubber do NOT use anything called "gum" rubber. This type of stuff is good for rubber bands but gutless for other applications.

Regards

Jim

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
What is the purpose of the wood strips? Will the body fit flush on the frame rails?
The 101A2 tubs bolt to the frame without wood or spacers.

Could you just leave them off and bolt the body to the frame?

xlobsterboyx

Observer
What is the purpose of the wood strips? Will the body fit flush on the frame rails?
The 101A2 tubs bolt to the frame without wood or spacers.

Could you just leave them off and bolt the body to the frame?

It bolts via 8 brackets on the sides (6 side 2 front). The size of the brackets leaves 1/2 inch gap (approx) which is enough for the wood spacers to fit.

Cowboy59

Observer
Subd. I have an older version of this trailer, still looking for ideas. I need to figure out a method to mount a rtt...

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
RTT mounting and ideas........................

Attachments

• DSC05543.JPG
    DSC05543.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC05544.JPG
    DSC05544.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC05552.jpg
    DSC05552.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Trailer%2520Quarter%2520View.jpg
    Trailer%2520Quarter%2520View.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 622
  • TRAILER_RESIZE.JPG
    TRAILER_RESIZE.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 623

Cowboy59

Observer
Mark Harley: very nice! Can you post some pics of your trailer with the side doors open? Funny that you used the photo of the black trailer on the bottom, that's the one I own now. I am thinking of doing a slide out from the rear so I don't have to cut the sides up.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Not my trailer but it is very nice!
Pulled form the web.

There is a pioneer on ebay now in Hanover Pa.
I would love to get one for my roster.

Attachments

• $T2eC16dHJHEE9ny2sq1LBRJO7geDI!~~60_12.jpg
    $T2eC16dHJHEE9ny2sq1LBRJO7geDI!~~60_12.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 23
  • $T2eC16VHJGwE9n)yTd9EBRJO9!ZN,Q~~60_12.jpg
    $T2eC16VHJGwE9n)yTd9EBRJO9!ZN,Q~~60_12.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members