Suggestions for a Simple LR3/ Discovery 3 setup for Offroading and exploring

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Yes, the cargo barrier I had was a Land Rover Genuine KIT part. It was okay, certainly served its purpose, but there was about 1,0000 times I wished it was open on the bottom part to allow long objects to pass through!
IMG_3229-XL.jpg

My upgrades were:
- Tires (Critically required)
- Lights (excellent mod!)
- Onboard Air
- Hardwired a GPS unit
- Custom CB Antenna mount
- Cargo Barrier
- Replace the gas tank (rock damage)
- HAM radio install (excellent mod!)
- Prototyped the Hannibal 3/4 roof rack
- Snorkle (just for looks mostly)
- Replace the gas tank AGAIN
- ASIFR underbody skids and sliders
- real rock Sliders (I prototyped the RoverSpecialties units)
- Replaced the gas tank AGAIN for the THIRD TIME (I never found a gas tank skid while I had my Rover)
- Replaced the Stage 2 sliders with Prototype Stage 1 sliders from RoverSpecialities

IMG_3224-XL.jpg

IMG_3223-XL.jpg

DCH109

Adventurer
Just my 2 cents. You might consider putting the sliders up higher on the list - If you get into any decent rock crawling- even mild stuff you might not normally expect to do with a club - even with a tame throttle sometimes you will bang the underside of the sills. Over time, I've cracked the plastic cover for the compressor and broke both brackets that hold the compressor in. I didn't destroy the compressor but did bang it around a little that would have otherwise been protected by a slider cover. It's not the end of the world but if you can, it might be a good investment early on.

Also, again just my experience, but be cognizant of driving/wheeling in super extended mode - you can overextend the suspension struts (ask me how I know ?!) and they can bend or bind to the point of no longer functioning. I lost my rear passenger strut and had to replace it.

Ya sliders are a must I think. i have no interested in super extended mode for that exact reason. My luck is never that good LOL

D
I'm seeing the IIDtool for $530 at AB: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DA6405.cfm
Not saying that's cheap, but better than $800. I'm planning to call Lucky 8 to see what their price is once it's in stock there. It'll be nice to have that piece of mind on the trail. Also, I don't need to be alerted every time the temp hits 39*.
-Michael

I was looking at the Hawkeye tool so WRONG part on my side. Thanks for the link, that is way better.

nwoods,

i have the factory Xenon lights, they work great. I am working on my Ham radio license and have the Gordon West book for the study guide.
your list is great.

I was looking at the ASIFR sump guard, how do you like the skids?

LR Max

Local Oaf
I'd say what you need is a tank of gas, a bottle of water, and a sammich.

Past that, I'd say armor up and get some decent tires. Besides that, add your own flavor. If you like electronics, add GPS's and radios. If you like to cook, add a fancy cooler and chuck box. But I feel like just adding armor and tires would be a great start and a way to get most of the way to were you want to be.

racehorse

Adventurer
Ya sliders are a must I think. i have no interested in super extended mode for that exact reason. My luck is never that good LOL

I was looking at the Hawkeye tool so WRONG part on my side. Thanks for the link, that is way better.

nwoods,

i have the factory Xenon lights, they work great. I am working on my Ham radio license and have the Gordon West book for the study guide.
your list is great.

I was looking at the ASIFR sump guard, how do you like the skids?

If I can impart my opinion, the ASFIR guard is really pretty solid. Here's mine:

Attachments

• roverskid1.jpg
    roverskid1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 45
  • roverskid2.jpg
    roverskid2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 49

nwoods

Expedition Leader
If I can impart my opinion, the ASFIR guard is really pretty solid. Here's mine:

yes, their underbody armor served me well also. I also had the transfer case plate and that was extremely, um...well used on various trails around here. What I was less impressed with was their "rocker panel protection"...aka Sliders. They were like One Hit Wonders, nothing at all like the Rover Specialties sliders.

Having traveled the trails you are considering running, numerous times over the past 20 years in everything from a Subaru to a heavily modified Land Cruiser. I don't think you need anything other then the usual trail essentials; first aid kit, fire extinguisher, etc and a good set of tires. Now if you just want to spend a few $$ on your Rover, I understand that sickness, I have it too:) If that is the case, for the trails in CO, I would recommend sliders and skid plates. Otherwise, just go have fun!

If you would like some company, drop me a PM. I live about 30 minutes from the east side of Mosquito Pass. Always looking for a good excuse to take my Disco out and play.

DCH109

Adventurer
Having traveled the trails you are considering running, numerous times over the past 20 years in everything from a Subaru to a heavily modified Land Cruiser. I don't think you need anything other then the usual trail essentials; first aid kit, fire extinguisher, etc and a good set of tires. Now if you just want to spend a few $$ on your Rover, I understand that sickness, I have it too:) If that is the case, for the trails in CO, I would recommend sliders and skid plates. Otherwise, just go have fun!

If you would like some company, drop me a PM. I live about 30 minutes from the east side of Mosquito Pass. Always looking for a good excuse to take my Disco out and play.

Sickness. Yes that is for sure..

Thanks for the offer I will be taking that up. Planning on late July, early August.

rcbush

Hello,

I am in Denver, CO - new to the site.

I am looking for the best hidden winch mount setup. Looked at so far:

Front Runner Mount - don't see any details on the site regarding the fairlead
Rasta Mount - the site was acting strange, are they still in business?
Uncle Ray's Mount - also couldn't find much recent on this

I realize this thread is a bit old, just wondering if anyone can offer some guidance. Thanks.

Scarab

Uncle Ray is RLD and can be found on the disco3.co.uk forums. His stuff is top notch and brilliantly priced. Similarly "Next Generation" (find them on Facebook) are a similar setup. I have their Underbody armor and it's brilliant.

Front Runner are great.

One brand that seems pretty popular is "Terrafirma" and their prices are pretty good too. http://www.terrafirma4x4store.co.uk/bumpers/discrete_winch_mounts/discovery_3_winch_mount

I know they are UK based but it's some options for you.

perkj

Explorer
Yes, the cargo barrier I had was a Land Rover Genuine KIT part. It was okay, certainly served its purpose, but there was about 1,0000 times I wished it was open on the bottom part to allow long objects to pass through!
IMG_3229-XL.jpg

Two ways to achieve this:

(1) take an angle grinder with cutting disc (or use a hack saw) and cut out the metal webbing and lower bar only (leaving the side and top bar) of the bottom section of the LR Cargo Barrier. Doing this allows you to still mount it correctly and allow for items to be passed thru. I've done this and it works great.

(2) Purchase the Travall Cargo Barrier (https://www.travall.us/land-rover/travall-pet-barrier-tdg1299). Not only is it just to top portion, thus allowing full pass thru, but the top portion doesn't angle backward like the LR one does. I ended up purchasing this one as well when I added my rear storage shelf as the factory one would no longer fit and the Travall fit like a glove. I much prefer the Travall one - simpler to install, allows for pass thru, and doesn't angle back:

Last edited:

Dmarchand

Adventurer
That's funny, I cut the bottom mesh off of my LR barrier as well. It was so frustrating not being able to fold down the seats when needed to carry something long.

jerdog53

Explorer
Hello,

I am in Denver, CO - new to the site.

I am looking for the best hidden winch mount setup. Looked at so far:

Front Runner Mount - don't see any details on the site regarding the fairlead
Rasta Mount - the site was acting strange, are they still in business?
Uncle Ray's Mount - also couldn't find much recent on this

I realize this thread is a bit old, just wondering if anyone can offer some guidance. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

I plan on doing the Front runner myself when it's time. Maybe we can help each other with the installs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles