Suggestions for a Simple LR3/ Discovery 3 setup for Offroading and exploring

DCH109

Adventurer
I have a few questions for you LR3/ Discovery 3 guys.
I have a 2005 SE with the HD package, Nav, cold weather package etc. and am looking at going on a trip to Colorado with it.
Last year I overbuilt (Spent way too much money) my FJ Cruiser for a similar trip and it handled well, however it was a disaster and due to other reasons I sold my FJ. We picked up a Yukon Xl and I traded with my wife and took back my LR3.
Now as mentioned I am heading back there for 2 weeks in June ish.
So here is my dilemma, what to do to my LR3 that keeps it looking as stock as possible but it being able to handle trails like the Alpine loop, Mosquito Pass, and a few others without much trouble.
I will be using it later in the summer, fall etc on the east coast for some off road fun but for now I am looking at this area.
I am a big advocate of a winch. And convinced the banker (wife) to get a hidden winch mount and winch (I have purchased this) I will install these myself, that is not an issue.
I will not be doing a rod lift (I see no need) and I will be either going with Terra grappler in the stock size or Cooper Zion in 285/60r18, Realizing that a small mod to a sensor wire is needed.
The budget is tight otherwise I would have gone all out on the mods (spare tire carrier , etc).
So the questions;
What spare to bring?
Rock sliders (looking at ones from www.urbanoffroad.us) any other suggestions?
I have a full size spare that goes inside the truck.
What other armor?
What is the number one thing to worry about?

I will be getting a full service done before I leave and will bring some spare fluids with me and basic hand tools and a good jack (my hi-lift is useless on the LR3 so looking at a aluminum racing jack).

I have a number of months to gather and install anything.

The LR3 is a great truck, but scares the hell out of me taking it off road on a limited budget (keeping some for an unexpected brake down and for on road I will have AAA standing by), but this is part of the thrill for me.
So any suggestions would be great.

JimBiram

Adventurer
The racing jack works in most situations, however I'v used my X-Jack for several years now, and love the versatility. Sounds like the standard lift will work in most of those trails, however if you can afford it, get the II-D Tool available at Atlantic British. Good tire kit (I just bought the Viking to replace my old kit) and compressor are important too, as you will want to air down for Mosquito Pass to protect the tires on the sharp rocks.

If you are traveling alone (which I don't recommend) get a Spot device or something similar. I'm on my third set of Cooper Zeons, so you can't go wrong there. You might look at Tactical Rovers for underbody and slider protection. They make some great stuff at reasonable prices. Rover Specialties has great sliders as well.

DCH109

Adventurer
Cool thanks guys, any suggestions on the Skids? any must have?

I have a good airdown kit and was looking at the viking kit after a review on here. I have an older ARB kit, but it is beatup.

That Xjack I always wondered about.

For traveling alone, ya i know never do it, kind of like hiking alone. but that is the way it goes and it always seems that i end up going alone (done it for years and just makes me more careful of the routes and lines i take). Maybe i will being my beagle......
I think i can convince my wife on the IIDTool as a must have diagnostic tool, that will take it out of the budget, otherwise. ouch.....$800 bucks.

IF i get stuck, i have been looking at a pulpal.

rcharrette

Adventurer
Alpine Loop

I did the alpine loop in my 08 LR3 and it is 100% stock. Had no trouble at all. Skid plates and Johnson Rods would add peace of mind for sure but a stock LR3 can do those trails no problem.

DCH109

Adventurer
I did the alpine loop in my 08 LR3 and it is 100% stock. Had no trouble at all. Skid plates and Johnson Rods would add peace of mind for sure but a stock LR3 can do those trails no problem.

Hey thanks! rcharrette. Nice to know.

So i am still skipping the rode, but if i get the IIDTool then i need to be careful on the skids i buy and buy only what i need.

Anyone have a suggestion on first and foremost?

Mack73

Adventurer
My opinion -
1. Tires (wheels if you don't have 18s)
2. IIDTool
3. Skids (motor, trans)
4. Sliders

Tires first - You have stock skids that will do for a while. And you do get +2" in OffRoad mode. Then the IIDTool to get some more height and error correction out on the trail. Then skids and sliders for protection.

That's the basics - but you can keep going if it is important = Snorkle, Ladder, Roof Rack, On board air, Bumpers, Swing away tire carrier.......... and the list keeps going

EDIT: oh and if you're going to run a 32" tire, you'll need the IIDTool or Rod Mod to stop the rubbing (plus alignment). If you stay below 32" (like the BFG AT or Cooper Zeons) it is possible to run them without a lift.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I don't think you'll need any underarmor for Colorado trails. I been on many of them, and some are technically challenging, but not the kind that eat fenders and door sills as long as you use your TC and not the throttle. I would suggest an interior cargo barrier to allow you to fit more gear inside the rear safely, and then H7 HID bulb upgrades for the headlights if you don't have the XEON's already. Then I would suggest a good radio set up, HAM and CB, and a fire extinguisher clamped to the cargo barrier, and you my friend, have a world class overland rig.

IMG_3235-L.jpg

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
The barrier is Land Rover. I second the need to have one. You'll be able to load up the back to ceiling without any of it coming forward into the passenger compartment. It is relatively easy to remove when you need the extra space.

My route to upgrades went like this.

Tires
First Aid
Tools
Sump Guard
Sliders
Rods
Roof Rack
RTT
Barrier
Winch
Swing Away Tire Mount
Dual Battery
Refrigerator
Awning
Faultmate
Tires Again
Lights
Spares Kit
Transfer Case Skid
Gas Tank Skid

Up next: Mini PC and Touch screen for better NAV, Faultmate interface and ICE.

My trips with the family are for at least a week at a time. with 20-30% off road with remote camping.
Trips with SCLR result in more damage to the underside.

DCH109

Adventurer
Hey JAK, that is pretty much the final plan in about 3 years.

I think i will just hit it with
Tires
First Aid
Tools
Sump Guard
Sliders
Winch
Jack

I have the tools, First Aid and Winch (hidden mount yet to be installed)

Need to get the Sliders, sump guard, and a good jack (no hi-lift here).
I am trying to justify the $800 for the diagnostic tool and I think I can just in the fact I do a lot of the work myself.

While I feel WAY more comfortable with full sliders i think they will have to wait if i get the tool. As for a RTT, not again. The cost of fuel it enough not to want another. I liked min (it was HUGE) but it was to costly on the fuel economy.

Plus I slept in a tent for years.

I like the barrier idea, and it is something i am considering. I am also thinking of making a removable platform that holds everything underneath. it would have to be about 6-8" high and i will have to see how that would work. I was thinking of sleeping in the rover at times at the same time the platform would also be used for hidden storage. but just thinking right now.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
The barrier is Land Rover. I second the need to have one. You'll be able to load up the back to ceiling without any of it coming forward into the passenger compartment. It is relatively easy to remove when you need the extra space.

Thanks! The more I see on the LR3/4 the more I like.

racehorse

Adventurer
Just my 2 cents. You might consider putting the sliders up higher on the list - If you get into any decent rock crawling- even mild stuff you might not normally expect to do with a club - even with a tame throttle sometimes you will bang the underside of the sills. Over time, I've cracked the plastic cover for the compressor and broke both brackets that hold the compressor in. I didn't destroy the compressor but did bang it around a little that would have otherwise been protected by a slider cover. It's not the end of the world but if you can, it might be a good investment early on.

Also, again just my experience, but be cognizant of driving/wheeling in super extended mode - you can overextend the suspension struts (ask me how I know ?!) and they can bend or bind to the point of no longer functioning. I lost my rear passenger strut and had to replace it.

chirigringo

Adventurer
D
I am trying to justify the $800 for the diagnostic tool and I think I can just in the fact I do a lot of the work myself.
I'm seeing the IIDtool for $530 at AB: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DA6405.cfm
Not saying that's cheap, but better than $800. I'm planning to call Lucky 8 to see what their price is once it's in stock there. It'll be nice to have that piece of mind on the trail. Also, I don't need to be alerted every time the temp hits 39*.
-Michael

jhawk

Adventurer
I picked mine up for the 500ish from AB back in Dec. It wasn't in stock and took roughly a month to get. Nobody at AB bothered contacting me about the fact it wasn't in stock, I had to contact them after two weeks. Even after contacting them the service left a lot to be desired. If you can get it from Lucky8 I'd suggest doing that.

The tool itself is awesome. I would put it first on your list.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles