Service Body to Expo Trailer

srgsng25

Observer
has anyone gone this direction i might have the opportunity this get this truck at my dads auction this coming month

i am curious if this wold work especially with weight distribution i do have a 30 gallon water tank and a RV camper van 10 gallon propane tank that was looking at mounting on the underside so i am sure we can use this to augment out balance point so the tongue is not really heavy i will be towing this with my pickup let me know your though i am not about to pay more than a grand for this LOL

Attachments

• 3K93M93Jf5Id5H55J2d1tbf82ecbf0e221845.jpg
    3K93M93Jf5Id5H55J2d1tbf82ecbf0e221845.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 17

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
So if I understand correctly... you want to cut the rear frame and box off...ditch the cab and so on and make it into a trailer? If it were me, I would lift the box off, sell the cab and chassis to recoup some $$ and make a custom 2x3 frame (or have one made) and plop the box on that.

I have seen a few trailers made from the back half's of service trucks, looks like a good place to start if it is not too heavy.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I do agree with GregB
Pull the box, sell the truck and build a lighter frame with actual trailer axle.

srgsng25

Observer
wow great ideas with elmo's build this looks like a possible winner if i can win it at the auction and GregB thanks for stating the obvious to me LOL i actually realized that after looking at a a 30 gal water tank and the propane tank i am wanting to use i will be sending the propane taken out for hydro testing this coming week its a salvage tank from a junk yard conversion van so i got it for free so if it not good no real loss to me i am serious think ust getting 2 10lb tanks for this project and i think i have a35K axle in the yard i have to go wade though the mud and weeds to see and hoping it will fir a pair of 16" dodge rims i have laying arroud LOL so lots of parting together once i get the project underway i will open a thread and load lots of picts

srgsng25

Observer
i got a good look at the service body today and it's a no go :( the lower toolboxes are all rotted out and i see day light though the upper box so too much brown cancer to deal with i only have a budget of a 1000 for trailer i am thinking about seeing if i cna find some toolboxes that are add on boxes and build around them see if we can find some 6' foot by 18" deep for 2 long ones and a few smaller ones for the lower back side

Xrunner

Explorer
i got a good look at the service body today and it's a no go :( the lower toolboxes are all rotted out and i see day light though the upper box so too much brown cancer to deal with i only have a budget of a 1000 for trailer i am thinking about seeing if i cna find some toolboxes that are add on boxes and build around them see if we can find some 6' foot by 18" deep for 2 long ones and a few smaller ones for the lower back side

Don't let it get to you... keep an eye open for something else that might work. The number one thing needed for this type of project is patience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier