My new Chevy Express - Quigley 4x4 Camper Van

Vagamundo

I just picked up my first ever camper van. I have always lusted after a Sportsmobile but could never find one in my price range of 10-20k. And then I found this...

It seems kind of like a poor man's version of a Sportsmobile.

It is a 1999 Chevrolet Express 2500 cargo van with the Quigley 4x4 conversion. Here are the details:

1999 Chevrolet Express 2500 cargo van
78,000 miles
Quigley 4x4 conversion (front end is from an early 90's Ford)
full camper conversion
extended camper top (not a pop-top)
fold out bed/seat (leather)
alcohol burning stove (a marine-type stove like the ones on sailboats)
ice box
sink with running cold water (no hot water, no holding tank - drains outside vehicle)
8 gallon water tank for sink
Jensen stereo/dvd player with 19" flat screen tv for movie nights in the van
stereo amp with lots of speakers (sounds really nice)
Thule rack and cargo container on the roof
bull bar with fog lights
ceiling fan/vent for those hot baja nights
additional marine battery
power inverter
ladder on rear door for roof access
I'm probably missing a few other important things here...

I found this vehicle on Craigslist and contacted the owner right away. He used it mostly for kite boarding trips and had taken it to Baja on three occasions. He seemed to be very satisfied with it and really didn't want to part with it at all, however life changes made him do it. I took it for a test ride and made an offer the next day. After a little dickering on the price, I purchased it from him a few days ago and have been driving it ever since. So far I am thrilled with it! Everything works the way it should be except for the sliding door latch and passenger window (both getting fixed tomorrow).

As someone who has lived and traveled extensively around the world by motorcycle for over a decade I can say that this thing feels like the Taj Majal! I'm super psyched about living/traveling and adventuring in my new home and I can't believe my good fortune in finding this incredible vehicle. Unless I discover something seriously amiss, I believe that I will be one happy camper for a long time coming.

Incidentally, my first expedition with the new rig will be a 6,000 mile Seattle to Copper Canyon filming trip that I am doing in two weeks. I will be traveling with a friends and the trip should last about 6 weeks.

Attachments

• blanket storage.jpg
    blanket storage.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 105
  • bull bar lights.jpg
    bull bar lights.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 84
  • cargo area.jpg
    cargo area.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 103
  • cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 85
  • drivers seat.jpg
    drivers seat.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 73
  • express 4x4.jpg
    express 4x4.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 80
  • fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 70
  • flatscreen.jpg
    flatscreen.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 74
  • folding table.jpg
    folding table.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 71
  • front van.jpg
    front van.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 91

copescobra

Sweet Ride

What an incredible Camper. SCORE !!! going to be great on the road with that great engine !!!
Interior looks like a great combo as well.
Enjoy that trip. OH yea cruising in style.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Poor man's version of a sportsmobile? Looks very nicely made to me! Congrats to your purchase and welcome to the Expedition Portal.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Incidentally, my first expedition with the new rig will be a 6,000 mile Seattle to Copper Canyon filming trip that I am doing in two weeks. I will be traveling with a friends and the trip should last about 6 weeks.

Holy moly, I need more friends like you. Please PM me with a link to trip report. Hope all is gong well down there. ANd include a shot of the entire van exterior please.

Teamoatmealpie

Observer
Curious to how the van is working and how it faired on the trip to copper canyon. Saw your post and like the interior set up.

I picked up a 1998 Chevy Express 3500 with 4x4 conversion wtih 67000k miles real clean. Doing the inside stuff myself.

Did you change anything before or after the trip?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles