"Soft, Grippy" A/T tires that offer more pavement grip than off-road performance?

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
"Soft, Grippy" A/T tires that offer more pavement grip than off-road performance?

I didn't want to hijack the thread started by BBslider001 where he is looking for stock size tires.

So I originally posted a reply relating my current experience with larger tires:
You might very well notice the difference in braking. I just replaced my 245/75R16's (stock on 2007 WT trim 2500 HD Silverado) 285/70R17 (which several folks swore would fit with no mods but they rubbed a bit. Nothing a little heat and plastic "shaping" couldn't fix). OMG! It takes approximately 25% more brake pedal force to stop the beast. If anyone needs five (5) brand new BFG A/T's let me know. I'm not keeping them.

And got these two responses.

Ok...how does your braking system do with stock tires and a load? Sounds to me like a truck issue not a tire issue.

Not a truck issue. Stock 245's and it stops like a sports car (seriously... I've driven trucks & SUV's my whole life and was amazed how well this almost 7,000 lb truck stopped and how deep I could drive it into a corner and out brake others.) For Overlanding I'm VERY new. For running SUV's and trucks on pavement and going plus 1 or plus 2 on tires... I've had a fair bit of experience. I do my own maintenance. I'm fairly mechanically minded, etc. I know I'm new here so I'm just trying to fill everyone in.

I don't recall our 2500HD's having weak brakes? Was your ABS kicking in? Is your vaccuum or hydroboost failing? If it's hydroboost, hows your power steering pump feel?

Try some EBC Yellow pads, they have a bit more initial bite. Bleed your brakes and use a good fluid. Sounds like your stock setup has a weak link somewhere. 285 isn't much tire, an empty 1 ton truck like yours should stop fine still. Usually it's the tires and traction that are the limiting factor in a trucks stopping distance.

25% more brake pedal force with no other faults? Psh, that won't hurt anything. If you can trip the ABS into pumping on all 4 corners and screech to a stop on a dry road then the brakes are biteing fine.

The hydroboost is working fine. P/S feels good. Everything is in good working order. On a clear dry road I CAN push hard enough to start locking up all four corners with ABS kicking in. And I know I could put better pads on and reduce that pedal force required some. Keep in mind though that the 25% more pedal force is also 25% more heat, wear, etc.

That isn't the only issue. There is a reason some people get 70k-80k on a set of BFG A/T's... They are made with a hard rubber compound! In the dry they have less grip then the worn out 245 size Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's that were on there. Accelerating hard on dry, clean pavement and when the boost hits with these A/T's I get the rear end breaking free and spinning in 2nd, 3rd and 4th! So it's not a "brake system" issue. It's a "less traction" than other tire issue.

So I guess I'll ask the question that is before me... Are there All Terrain tires that are softer and therefore "grippier" on pavement than BFG A/T's? Also... Are all A/T tires going to give up and slide around when pushed on pavement because of the independent nature of the tread blocks? I'm thinking Wrangler AT-S's or Firestone Destination A/T's would be better due to the nature of the tighter tread pattern (continuous center rib in the Firestone) (and yes I know, these less agressive patterns will not do AS well as more open tread patterns off road). Does anyone know if the Goodyear Silent Armor or AT/S or Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 2's are a softer compound "stickier" tire than the BFG A/T's? Or any of the many A/T's?

gm13

Adventurer
I was going to suggest the Destination AT, see you've considered them. Definitely softer/ stickier than the BFG AT on pavement. I found they held better on ice too. Soft came with a price on the shale based logging roads up here though. They held the top spot on tirerack AT surveys for whatever that's worth.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Thanks. I have Firestone Destination LE's on my Trailblazer and gf's Jeep Grand Cherokee and they are AWESOME on pavement. Since these two vehicles never go off road that is the perfect tire for them. Sticks like glue and doesn't degrade in rain hardly at all. But they don't make an E-rated version in the size I need for the 2500. :^(

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yes the GY Silent Armor tires are a soft compound for street and towing use. Your truck wil stop fine with those, if it deosn't, something is broken. They take about 3-5k to heat cycle and stiffen up. They'll wiggle alot before your next oil change. They should have similar offroad capability, Superior ice pavement capability, and superior rain capability than your BFG AT's. I've had both. They are just as bad in mud though.

I still recommend the Yellow EBC pads sinced your after such extreme performance.

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Also, if you have any mileage on your truck, try bleeding the hydroboost/power steering system. I was amazed at the improvement from just a fluid flush.

My next PM item is the bleed the brakes themselves. My truck stops fine, but I would prefer a little more initial "bite" and I think the brake fluid is at fault (it's the original to the truck). I should have done it before now, but have been busy.

Jack

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Buliwyf... Yeah... Better pads (preferably with a rising coefficient of friction) are on the to-do list. Thanks for the info on the Goodyears. Maybe that is what I need then. And I've read about the wiggle/cure issue. Interesting.

Locrwin... I've learned so much about these trucks just following your build! Mine is going to be quite similar as far as truck mechanicals but with a Flippac. And the Hydroboost flush is also on the to-do list. I don't think that will change much since with the smaller, grippier tires it stopped on a dime but I would be thrilled if I'm wrong! :wings:

ExpoMike

I might recommend Bridgestone Dualer A/T REVO. Had these on my Cherokee and LOVED them. Worked great on the road, quiet and worked more like a sports car tire BUT they wore great and worked very well offroad. It was a great A/T tire. Make sure they are the REVO series and not the standard Dualers.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Also keep in mind adding a weight with wheels and tires effects a vehicle alot more than adding weight that your hauling or pulling. I cant remember the actual number but i remember reading that adding say another 100 lbs in extra tire weight affects the vehicle alot more than adding 100 lbs or cargo. Even saying that im still surprised you felt that big of a difference in a truck that heavy when only going up from 245s to 285s.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
ExpoMike... I have been eyeing those too so thanks for the input.

BurbanAZ... I would have NEVER believed it had I not experienced it myself. I do love the look of the truck with these big meats but I have way to much "pucker factor" in clear, dry conditions. I don't need the extra gray hair!

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
I know this may not even cross most peoples minds, but seriously. Falken WildPeak AT (or the Discount Tire version, Rocky Mountain.)
Quiet, grippy, strong (3-ply sidewall) and a crapton of sizes. Seriously, do yourself a favor and look at them. I've been using a set on my Lexus GX470. Lots of highway miles, and plenty offroad as well with my very modified vehicle. Excellent in everything from rocks, to sand to asphalt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles