More series up grades.

blue bomber

Adventurer
After doing the cast iron clutch master upgrade. I decided to do my brake master as well. I used a 1986 Lincoln town car. Same piston diameter and bolt pattern as the girling variety. It fits in the same opening in the dual circuit cut fender. A couple of simple mods and my new $22.00 Bendix brand, made in USA cylinder was installed.
dyvatu9u.jpg

New vs old
7anagaby.jpg

The piston on the girling is flush and the Ford has a pocket.
mu7avety.jpg

Cut a grade 8 bolt to make up the difference in pushrod contact point
vype2enu.jpg
2eje7eva.jpg

Adjusted pushrod for clearance. Making sure the piston can fully return to the snap ring.
atahy5e2.jpg

Seventh try at making new flares!!! Least favorite job!!!
hy3e5e7y.jpg

Plumbed and bled.
5uvujeqe.jpg

Like its supposed to be there.

Tapatalk sucks, sent from Matthew's IPhone

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Looks nice. And cheap is always good. :)
What's the Bendix PN?

I did a similar modification to my Air Portable in the 80's. DAP sold a modified Jeep(?) MC, cost a good bit more though as Al's had the ports modified to accept the Girling brake fittings.

blue bomber

Adventurer
Looks nice. And cheap is always good. :)
What's the Bendix PN?

I did a similar modification to my Air Portable in the 80's. DAP sold a modified Jeep(?) MC, cost a good bit more though as Al's had the ports modified to accept the Girling brake fittings.

The Bendix number is 11858.

blue bomber

Adventurer
The engine is a 97 vortec 350 with an early timing cover and custom crank spacer. The timing chain is a single roller chain and used a thrust plate on the block. I machined the crank sensor lobes off to fit under the timing cover. This spacer allowed the use of "early" accessories. The modern silicon gaskets and nitrile crank seals make this engine tight . No oil leaks as seen here.
yvupa9u6.jpg

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Did you change all the fluids while the truck was there?:sombrero:

Unrelated question....How did you attach your CV joint to the transfercase? I had to make an adaptor which takes up an inch or so. (I'm hoping you're going to tell me you're using a standard Spicer part that bolt right up but I doubt it..)

blue bomber

Adventurer
My cv drive shaft was done by JE Reel. They machined the yoke to fit the rover pilot index. Tom Woods make a direct bolt up. It's cast rather than forged. I haven't heard anything bad about them.
http://4xshaft.com/images/LR_CV_Flange_End_250x150.jpg.

The piloting index and bolt pattern is the same from 1948 to current rover type diffs. Only the late plastic fantastic independent suspension vehicles and disco II front transfer case flanges differ.

Last edited:

James86004

Expedition Leader
I had heard you could replace the Series III M/C with a Lincoln, one, but never saw the details before. Thanks for posting it. Ours will have to be replaced soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz