School me on MX HD and topo and maps

94Discovery

Adventurer
well after reading and reading in this section i decided to buy motiox HD and to buy a Garmin Glow Because my ipad2 is wifi only.
so the problem is i do not know what to use with what ,lets say i need a fully fuctional GPS and Topo maps for canada and need them to be stored all the time on my device i have no problem buying an external HD (wifi).
i do not want to cash anything before driving i need it to be ready ,i do not mind paying for maps if there is one that is compleet.
so can i integrat maps for daily gps and topo for offroading in Motionx HD with being able to register and share my waypoints?

Thank you
Naji M.

RobRed

Explorer
Motion x GPS HD is traditional navigation between waypoints. It's not designed for turn by turn. Motion x Drive HD has turn by turn.

GPS HD relies on loading maps on the fly via network or pre caching them. MotionX GPS drive relies totally on network connectivity.

So neither one of these products sounds like what you want.

94Discovery

Adventurer
Motion x GPS HD is traditional navigation between waypoints. It's not designed for turn by turn. Motion x Drive HD has turn by turn.

GPS HD relies on loading maps on the fly via network or pre caching them. MotionX GPS drive relies totally on network connectivity.

So neither one of these products sounds like what you want.
What kind of solution do i have ?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
well after reading and reading in this section i decided to buy motiox HD and to buy a Garmin Glow Because my ipad2 is wifi only.
so the problem is i do not know what to use with what ,lets say i need a fully fuctional GPS and Topo maps for canada and need them to be stored all the time on my device i have no problem buying an external HD (wifi).

I've never tried it but I seriously doubt all of canada would fit on your ipad unless you only downloaded just lower resolution maps. Even then I'm not 100% sure they'd fit.

For off road use I have both MotionX HD as well as Scenic Maps Western US.
Scenic Maps works for most of my needs but I don't believe they have anything for Canada.
Motion X's maps is higher res & much larger in size but you have to download them separately in advance. Again, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit if you downloaded all of Canada.

As far as an external HDD and your iPad, no you can't use it for additional 'live' storage.

in terms of space, I've tried downloading all of California using their hi res maps and the size was so large that I grew impatient and decided I didn't want to wait. Instead, I only downloaded the areas I needed. Based on the space required, I'm pretty sure all of California in Hi Res would be a tight fit on my 64GB ipad. All of Canada? probably won't fit but who knows. Maybe I'm wrong.

HTH

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles