My F550 Trek Truck Build

tbared

Life participant
Why Michelen XLs versus Conti's MPT's?

Availability, wearability and experience( balance very well if need at all) with them, the only downside to them is road noise. They also do not air down well, but I will never air them down for offroading.

Carlyle

Explorer
Availability, wearability and experience( balance very well if need at all) with them, the only downside to them is road noise. They also do not air down well, but I will never air them down for offroading.

I think I'd have to make some major mods to get 41's under my truck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

tbared

Life participant
I think I'd have to make some major mods to get 41's under my truck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

That's kind of why I choose the F450/550 platform, stock with exception of fenders they slid right in. I can play with spring rate and such after I dial everything else in.

tbared

Life participant
Yes and no. I have procuring all the necessary parts for the final build. I have all the aluminum for the bed and canopy, the electronics are almost all purchased( battery bank, inverter, accs, for shore power and charging), air compressors and necessary access. and some of the other small items.

Its a time issue, between the kennel, grad school, the girls and their sports and then of course that having to maintain a job thing. This summer will be the actual build process, but it will be slow. It has given me time to perfect the details actually instead of just jumping into it.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Man jobs suck. My rig would be done if I could get paid to stay home lol.

I really like this concept, I'm anxious to see it come to fruition.

Brewer Kye

Awesome!!!. I also have a 2006 F550 4x4 that I'm looking to build. Your pics n Sketchups give me motivation. Good luck with the build

tbared

Life participant
I really got side tracked with a BMW Dakar thumper i bought. But it still is going, working on the roof rack and load bars right now. Will post some pics here in a bit

stevo-mt

Coming from a cold climate I would tell anyone who contemplates camping out in the winter to buy an Espar coolant heater for the engine and an air heater for your camper. Don't waste your time with a propane set up. They are loud and use a lot of battery power and LP, plus CO tends to get a lot of people. Worth every penny and by far the best mods you will make on a truck for northern climates. At -20 deg F in Montana this winter and 20 minutes of running the coolant heater my diesel was nice and warm. Plus you don't have to carry any different fuels to heat the thing and they barely sip diesel. It's something a guy can add in later, but if your planning on doing a lot winter camping I would do a little designing now for a future install.

Just my 2 cents. Rocking truck by the way! I love those fords. Make sure to figure out a good bike rack for your moto! The only issue I have is trying to get my pup on a bike without a side car. I'll be in a Ural before too long...

tbared

Life participant
I do not want to go the way of LP, i will either do electric or go with a diesel fired Espar or Webasto and the do a coolant heater in the box. Its just i prefer too keep it simple.."KISS"....In the north here the last thing i need or want is complexity. These International/Ford enigne systems are bad enough. I do not do winter camping as much as late fall for the bow and bird seasons.

I have already converted an old Tommy lift into a bike rack(craigslist $150). I had it on the truck long enough to get the kinks out before i took it back off to do the box. MIght redo some of it to be able to switch between a basket and a bike rack in the future. Champagne dreams, a beer pocket book right now, and responsabilities galore.

My mutts are too wirery to sit still long enough even if i had a sidecar and i would feel horrible if someone took me out and them.

And the gods are speaking to me this year accident wise. I got rearend in my wife sports car and it was completely demolished and then a tow truck backed into my commuter and since its a little corolla their insurance totaled it( im fighting that one). I am not interested in third time is the charm if you catch me.

Coming from a cold climate I would tell anyone who contemplates camping out in the winter to buy an Espar coolant heater for the engine and an air heater for your camper. Don't waste your time with a propane set up. They are loud and use a lot of battery power and LP, plus CO tends to get a lot of people. Worth every penny and by far the best mods you will make on a truck for northern climates. At -20 deg F in Montana this winter and 20 minutes of running the coolant heater my diesel was nice and warm. Plus you don't have to carry any different fuels to heat the thing and they barely sip diesel. It's something a guy can add in later, but if your planning on doing a lot winter camping I would do a little designing now for a future install.

Just my 2 cents. Rocking truck by the way! I love those fords. Make sure to figure out a good bike rack for your moto! The only issue I have is trying to get my pup on a bike without a side car. I'll be in a Ural before too long...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior