Adventure Build: 2001 Dodge Cummins QCSB

colodak

Adventurer
2x 120 gal tanks on the semi, distance of 8' from the tanks to the engine and back, with heated tanks and it still wanted to gel at -18, it's the freeze point of the fuel that is the problem, also, the filters and lines will start to get before the tanks even with filter mounted to the engine.

Dodge Off Road

Next I decided to create a steering brace based on the Dodge Off Road brace. I decided to start with a PSC brace that I got cheap on ebay and use it as my starting point, which was good because when I mocked it up in its original form it did not fit at all. I hacked it apart and built it from some 3/16" and 1/4" plate. The design ties the steering box to only one side of the frame instead of spanning the two frame rails so that frame flex does not exert any force on the steering box.

By "based on," I assume you meant to say "copied." Here is the real thing so nobody gets confused. You can click the link to learn more about it and how I came up with the design years ago:

http://www.dodgeoffroad.com/store_DORbrace2g.php

DORbrace24.jpg

The steering brace looks like a solid design. Maybe you should make a few more... :sombrero:

I would highly recommend that he doesn't. But thanks for recognizing a good design. I spent two years working on the design of this brace and another several months working on the patent paperwork, at a pretty substantial expense, to ensure that nobody could come along and copy my design like has been done on the DSS steering brace.

If you'd like to order the brace, they are available for sale on our site. I think the price is extremely reasonable considering it's a 20 lb hunk of steel with precision bearings and quality hardware, and it is the only brace that actually supports the steering box without allowing other forces to apply pressure on the box.

As a longtime Ram owner and 4-wheeler, I'm not just some big company that makes stuff and doesn't put thought and research into it. I've been wheeling Ram trucks since 1995 and spent MANY years dissecting the DSS (what is now called the PSC) style braces. The DOR design came about because the other style braces kept destroying my steering boxes while out on 4x4 trips. It took quite a while to figure out why, but once I found the problem, it took a long time to find a way to support the steering box without duplicating the same old problem OR creating a new one. Unfortunately for the OP, he has done both. And I will not elaborate on that. I went through several revisions of the brace before I found what needed to be done to stop the sector shaft oscillation, before I ever released the product. The benefit of buying from the person and company who invented this brace is that you are getting a final product, instead of a knock-off that has no testing behind it. Even if you buy a $99 brace off of eBay and modify it, the savings is minimal, and you'll still have an inferior product. There are things done to the DOR brace that simply cannot be duplicated by modifying an existing brace. You have to build it from scratch for the required strength to be there. It's more than just some metal welded together. There are engineering principles in place.

As far as the brace, I think DOR has a patent pending on it or something so that could make it tough to make them.

It's actually patented now, and we keep lawyers on a retainer to protect that patent. I wouldn't say reproducing them would be "tough," as much as it would be a fast track to bankruptcy. We've already done a cease and desist on one company. I would tell you to contact them for a referral on what happens when you copy a patented part, but unfortunately they are out of business.

Great work on the steering brace, very well thought out.

Thanks for noticing. :)

As far as the steering questions, I did a pretty extensive write up on the various steering options for our trucks. That 08.5+ steering is not any stronger than the factory stuff you took off; they use the same tie rod ends as the 2000+ trucks... just different size tubing. You might want to read up on that on our site: http://www.dodgeoffroad.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1422 It's been posted there a while, probably even back when you were on the site looking at pictures of the steering brace and trying to see how to copy it.

The Thuren steering with heim joints works great. I've had them on three different trucks since 2003 or 2004, and have yet to wear any of the heims out. You do have to drill the knuckles and pitman arm out. And there is a little bumpsteer on some trucks since the drag link is quite a bit longer than the track bar. But it's a great setup and Don Thuren is a great guy and another Ram owner that takes his trucks off road. Of course, I guess you could always copy his steering kit too. You'd probably save a few bucks and get to spend the next year fine tuning the angles and bends of the tubing.

Direwolf

Dodge Off Road, sorry if I I didn't give you enough credit on your brace. I am not a company and have made NO offers or attempts to make or sell any braces to anybody. That was brought up by another poster and I replied that I thought you had a patent on it, or at least a pending one. Is that not up front enough? It is a well thought out brace and I will give you all the credit for it. I am not claiming the design as my own at all. Obviously it is similar and that is why I brought up your patent in response. I said "based off of" because having only seen it in the few pictures on your site I have no idea on any specifics regarding mounting or construction. There are only so many logical existing mounting options in that area. I mentioned Dodge Off Road at the beginning for a reason, so people could look your company up and see where the idea came from. If I claimed to create this idea all by myself and then attempted to sell them then you have a right to be angry, but I did no such thing. I posted it on an enthusiasts forum, not some vendor forum. I do not appreciate the negative jab at me by repeatedly calling it a copy and insinuating that I am some shady dishonest individual. Perhaps you could have PM'ed me and I could have clarified further about your brace.

The fact is that I really wanted to get your brace, but had purchased the DSS style before I knew any better. The brace had some major fit issues and after trying to modify it to fit was going to require cutting it apart and it was not returnable as it currently was anyway. I have more time and scrap steel than money. So instead of scrapping $110 and getting your brace at an additional cost, I made one at the cost of only my time and labor using the psc brace. That is a $200 savings to me. If things go south and the brace doesn't work out, I may just end up with one of your braces anyway. Take it as a compliment that if someone tries to copy you then you have probably done something right. And again this was a hobbyist undertaking, made only for myself, to gain experience fabricating stuff, learn something, and have a more involved experience with my new truck.

As far as the steering goes, the old stuff was shot. I did not upgrade looking for the ultimate in strength. The factors were that it needed replacement, it was a T style vs Y, and ultimately cost. I'm not a hard core off roader so I'm sure it will be plenty strong for my purposes.

From now on I promise not to make or create anything for my truck that is not a completely new or revolutionary idea all of my own vision or that incorporates or is similar to any previous design concept or characteristic.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Dodge Off Road, sorry if I I didn't give you enough credit on your brace. I am not a company and have made NO offers or attempts to make or sell any braces to anybody. That was brought up by another poster and I replied that I thought you had a patent on it, or at least a pending one. Is that not up front enough? It is a well thought out brace and I will give you all the credit for it. I am not claiming the design as my own at all. Obviously it is similar and that is why I brought up your patent in response. I said "based off of" because having only seen it in the few pictures on your site I have no idea on any specifics regarding mounting or construction. There are only so many logical existing mounting options in that area. I mentioned Dodge Off Road at the beginning for a reason, so people could look your company up and see where the idea came from. If I claimed to create this idea all by myself and then attempted to sell them then you have a right to be angry, but I did no such thing. I posted it on an enthusiasts forum, not some vendor forum. I do not appreciate the negative jab at me by repeatedly calling it a copy and insinuating that I am some shady dishonest individual. Perhaps you could have PM'ed me and I could have clarified further about your brace.

Direwolf. Sorry to have opened up the can of worms. My apologies to you. I applaud your response to DOR.

To DOR:
I just bought another 2nd gen yesterday. I am so happy it already has a steering brace on it so I don't have to deal with a company like yours that obviously would be a nightmare for customer relations.
Less time sucking in welding fumes and more time in anger management and public relations would be a great investment in time for you. I think a PM to either one of us involved in this "heinous patent infringement" would have sufficed. Your FIRST post on a very respectable forum sets a very negative tone.
I agree totally that you have a right to protect your patent, and apologize to you for (sarcastically) asking another member here to make me a brace.

Dodge Off Road

The fact is that I really wanted to get your brace, but had purchased the DSS style before I knew any better. The brace had some major fit issues and after trying to modify it to fit was going to require cutting it apart and it was not returnable as it currently was anyway. I have more time and scrap steel than money. So instead of scrapping $110 and getting your brace at an additional cost, I made one at the cost of only my time and labor using the psc brace. That is a $200 savings to me. If things go south and the brace doesn't work out, I may just end up with one of your braces anyway. Take it as a compliment that if someone tries to copy you then you have probably done something right. And again this was a hobbyist undertaking, made only for myself, to gain experience fabricating stuff, learn something, and have a more involved experience with my new truck.

As far as the steering goes, the old stuff was shot. I did not upgrade looking for the ultimate in strength. The factors were that it needed replacement, it was a T style vs Y, and ultimately cost. I'm not a hard core off roader so I'm sure it will be plenty strong for my purposes.

From now on I promise not to make or create anything for my truck that is not a completely new or revolutionary idea all of my own vision or that incorporates or is similar to any previous design concept or characteristic.

I appreciate that you called it what it is. I hope that you understand where I'm coming from - I didn't spend thousands to protect an idea I came up with, to have someone else copy it. It's already been done once and I dropped the hammer on them quickly. I will not let this product become another DSS brace where it's copied by PSC, Synergy, BD, etc. I am glad that you thought the design was a good one and there is a certain level of flattery when something is copied, but it's on a personal level. From a business standpoint, I can't allow it. Obviously I'm not coming after you for making this one because I realize now that it was just a way to spend some time on your own truck. I just wanted to make sure that:

1) You didn't make others to sell to members on here or anywhere else, and
2) Anybody else who reads this thread understands that I will take them to court if they decide to try #1.

You are asking me to send you a private message, when you couldn't even take the time to email me and ask if it was okay to copy my design? I have had other people email me and ask for help with their projects. Hell, I even sell kits that people can weld themselves if they want to. I'm VERY easy to work with. When I see my invention on a site and other members giving someone else credit for it, that is infuriating. If you ever invent something yourself, you'll understand what I mean.

I do appreciate that you want to work on your truck and be self-sufficient. That's admirable. As far as the mounting options, that's part of the patent. It's not just the way the brace looks, but how it bolts up, how it functions, etc.

And I'm not "mad," I'm protecting what is mine, legally and intellectually.

Not necessarily to bust your chops, but to be totally clear, the "right to be angry" thing absolutely does apply at this stage. You seem to be under the impression that just because you didn't blatantly offer to make and sell them, that I should turn the other cheek. That's not how this works. How would Nike feel if you went and had some shirts made with their logo on it instead of buying one from them? Companies protect their products and image for a reason. I don't want someone to see your brace and think it's a DOR brace when the welds hypothetically fail or when it doesn't work as it should. You already have at least a couple of people posting in this very thread that think you came up with the brace design. Imagine how many more think the same thing but didn't post up.

To me, copying an existing product is an act of dishonesty. I shouldn't have to preach morals on here. You may be the nicest guy in the world... this action is dishonest. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about your character based on one thread on a forum.

Speaking of which...

redthies said:
To DOR:
I just bought another 2nd gen yesterday. I am so happy it already has a steering brace on it so I don't have to deal with a company like yours that obviously would be a nightmare for customer relations.
Less time sucking in welding fumes and more time in anger management and public relations would be a great investment in time for you. I think a PM to either one of us involved in this "heinous patent infringement" would have sufficed. Your FIRST post on a very respectable forum sets a very negative tone.
I agree totally that you have a right to protect your patent, and apologize to you for (sarcastically) asking another member here to make me a brace.

Actually, DOR's reputation for customer service is 100% positive. Google us. Just because you are upset with my response to this thread, doesn't mean we don't provide our customers with awesome service. This isn't about "customer" service, it's about a non-customer copying a patented product and then you asking him to make others. How would I know you were being sarcastic? Or is this one of those instances where you really meant what you said, then when you get caught you just say "oh come on, I was joking." Either way, it's not funny to me. This product and others are what put food on the table for my family. I spent a LOT of time designing this and it's very personal to me.

I'm not a negative person. I've helped Ram owners with their trucks for a decade now, most of it without making a dime off of anybody. DOR was a forum before it was a business and I've proven time and time again that I'm very much into making these trucks better. If you don't want to support DOR, that's fine. But do it for the right reasons. Just because I signed up on here to defend my patent doesn't mean I'm a bad guy. I'm protecting what is mine. A PM to two people would not have stopped the thousands of other people who read this thread and thought "well I could make that and sell it." That's my goal.

I've spent years in public relations, and actually have written articles for business magazines on the subject. I'm also well-versed in ethics and business law. :)

I won't clutter up your thread any further. If you guys need help with anything, feel free to reach out to me. That would have prevented the whole thing in the first place. See you on the trails.

Danimal

Adventurer
Now there's a guy who knows customer service. Post up in an enthusiast's thread to talk him down on his handiwork and threaten the entire community with law suits.

I applaud you, sir.

bfdiesel

Explorer
To DOR since you like the public flogging I'll post it here instead of sending you a PM. The OP was clearly giving you credit from the begining (Next I decided to create a steering brace based on the Dodge Off Road brace), you should be thanking him instead of jumping into his thread spreading hate and losing potential customers. You could have accomplished your goal with a well worded positive post. Being a D!@$ to him publically was uncalled for, YOU could have sent him a PM asking why he didn't contact you, it is your public appearance that counts and makes or breaks YOUR business not his.
I had to read the post three times to see why you would do it the way you did, and I have no good reason other than you are still on the defense from the company that copied you. Taking out YOUR hate for THEM here is not helping and if you were not "mad" I believe you would handle it differently.

"I've spent years in public relations, and actually have written articles for business magazines on the subject. I'm also well-versed in ethics and business law." Act like it.

I will continue to watch this thread and it will determine whether I ever recommend you again.

Last edited:

blue dog

Adventurer
Back on track here now. I like this build, good choices and a great platform to work from. I have had 2 2nd gens, loved both of them, was partial to the truck with the nv5600 just because of the milage gain, but both were well proven trucks you could drive to the moon and back, and not worry about a thing. Keep up the good work.

My 2000 and my 2001.

Attachments

• IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 55

RangeBrover

Explorer
Direwolf, great build and I admire your resourcefulness. Don't let some jerk ruin your day, I just picked up an 02 Cummings for a tow rig and I think I speak for a lot of other people now on this forum when I say I won't be buying a product from Dodge Off Road. Hope you don't mind if I copy your fuel filter placement, and mechanical lift pump install I think it's pretty sweet.

Direwolf

So I don't want this to get out of hand. DOR, I apologize for not contacting you in the first place. It did not even occur to me to do so or that this would become an issue. In fact, I have read many of your posts on other sites and they are always insightful and knowledgable. I would even say they have been the most informative regarding learning about the Dodge suspension. I have emailed DOR before with questions and received a prompt and courteous response, which is why I was a little surprised by all this. Again I didn't mean to cause any problems and wish to move on.

On a different note, steering dampers...how much difference do they make? I put the old and likely worn out stock one back on after a few days without it and I can't say I feel any difference in how it drives. Wondering if I should put one on my list of things to get soon?

swirvin21

Hard Corps
Nice build! It's very similar to what I'm doing on my tow rig, a stout low lift rig. Hope to see more progress here soon. I'll try to get my build thread going here soon...

I'm sorry about all the ******** hitting the fan with DOR, I was the one that gave him the heads up actually. I didn't think it would go that far, but I hadn't read the part where there was talk of reproducing them or reselling them. I don't want to keep this going any further, but didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression of DOR or DJ himself either.

I completely understand modifying something that didn't fit and taking ideas from other people's stuff, that's what these forums are all about. The problem is that DOR is a very small business with maybe 2-3 employees, the owner, DJ, had invested ALOT of money and time in getting a patent and covering his butt so he could quit his regular job and do this full-time. He made that transition and quit his 9 to 5 just a few days ago and DOR is now his sole income. He has put a ton of blood, sweat and tears into this business and he has defend it against this kind of stuff. I don't think you intended to do anything to hurt his business and based on your response, I know you understand what kind of guy he is.

I just want to make sure everyone knew what really happened before boycotting DOR. DJ will go out of his way to work with you on getting you whatever you want for your truck, make custom one-off parts, anything he can do to help a customer or a fellow wheeler/builder. I think most of us can understand how hard you have to fight for every dollar as a small business owner, even harder in offroad and custom truck parts. It is a huge leap of faith to quit your day job and do what you love, especially in this market, so I hope anyone who had concerns understands better now. If you're not convinced, call and talk with him about what you're looking to do and I'm sure he will help change your mind.

Sorry again for making things crazy in your thread, but just trying to watch out for my friend.

dodgexped

first off, fab whatever you want for your truck, as long as you don't sell it, the price of coming after you would be absurd. Private use cases of infringement are rare. That is just the way it is. I do all my own fab work because I would rather spend the time and save the money.

Keep it the good work. Love your fuel system set up.

As far as steering dampeners, off road I think it makes a difference. If you can't tell the difference then it is very likely worn out and I would put not at the top of the list but near it.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
I agree with the above post, a steering damper will only be of noticeable benefit off road. The bigger the tires are the more valuable they become. They do a good job of saving wear and tear on steering boxes because they take the impact out of the movement. Get a good Bilstein 5100 or 7100 damper and you will be surprised on the next rough road you travel down.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94