Adventure Build: 2001 Dodge Cummins QCSB

Direwolf

Hello everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself as I am finally able to participate in the expo world.

After a year of searching and much debate I have finally found my first backcountry adventure rig, a 2001.5 Dodge Cummins 4x4 with 113k miles. It is completely stock except for an S&B intake, straight pipe, and the best part, a totally built trans with a triple disc converter and all the billet goodies built by Left Coast Diesel 6k miles ago.

My wife and I love traveling and camping, but off-roading and cramming all our crap in our Lexus is250 just isn't cutting it. And after our last storm-tastic Death Valley trip, my wife voiced her desire for a more substantial vehicle, i happily agreed. Initially I was looking for a Nissan Frontier, but realized more truck would be needed, so I decided on a Tundra DC. However, as the plan evolved we decided a 3/4 ton would fulfill our needs better and for a longer period of time. And a Cummins would be awesome.

IMG_1081web_zps35d1244a.jpg

IMG_1083web_zps9f26051d.jpg

The Vision:
So it is a blank canvas that I hope to build into a vehicle for me as daily driver, but also as a competent exploration vehicle as we set out to explore the outdoors. A popup camper is the eventual goal, but the shell will have to do for now. The immediate future calls for taking care of the known issues with these 24v trucks and make it as reliable as possible.

PHASE ONE:
Lift pump -- Mitusa mechanical lift pump (on the way)
Gauges -- Isspro fuel pressure, trans temp, and EGT (installed)
KDP -- Killer Dowel Pin
Steering -- 98-99 HD steering, track bar, selector shaft brace
Tires -- Cooper Discoverer AT/3 285/75 r16

More to come...

2001.5 Dodge Cummins QCSB, 4x4, auto.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a great plan with a solid platform. Keep your eyes peeled on CL and the wander the west forum for a used FWC. I found mine and added it much sooner in the build than I thought because it was a great deal. Looking forward to the build.

Jack

ExpoMike

Welcome to ExPo!!! Nice to see another 2nd Gen Ram with a Cummins on the board. :) I might be a little bias to them.

Look forward to your build progress.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Clean machine.

Very nice! You scored rear disc brakes that year also. I'd search out an Edge EZ or Smarty for it. You've got the built trans and a little wake up is in store.
Hopefully,you can live with the straight pipe. Mine was loud with an aftermarket Jardine 4" w/muffler.

Carli makes amazing suspension products for the 2nd gens.
I don't that KDP's an issue that year,but it wouldn't hurt I guess.

Last edited:

MGTexas

Sweet ride. I had one like it, same year and color. Was not the tow rig I needed at the time. Agree with earlier post on Carli. I had to replace all 4 BJs to keep it steering well. Also you are right on with the Mechanical LP. It will last forever. Looking forward to your build!

Mike

Direwolf

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure either about the KDP, it looked like it has the updated case, but I tabbed it anyway while I was in there. It actually came with a Smarty, but I have yet to use it as I wanted to do a lift pump first. Tonight I actually fired it up with the Mitusa for the first time, so this weekend might include some fun with the Smarty, especially after tippy toeing around for the last month worrying about the lift pump.

2001.5 Dodge Cummins QCSB, 4x4, auto.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site Direwolf, and congrats on the purchase of a fine rig. You will find many helpfull people here and as you have already posted some pics of your rig then you have kept all us pic crazy members happy. Just one warning, some guys would rather sleep with their Cummins motor than with their wives, but we will keep that secret. Cheers Chilli...:)

Direwolf

Fuel System Upgrade

I have been working on the truck like mad for the last two weeks. After driving it for just two weeks since purchase, not knowing the fuel pressure situation was killing me. I started by installing a mechanical fuel pressure gauge which seemed to be one problem after the other (or so I thought at the time). The gauge would build pressure and then lose it after about 10-15 seconds. So, despite how sure I was that there was no air in the line and the isolator was connected properly, I began checking for leaks and in the end eventually ditched the isolator and fed fuel straight to the gauge. All this was futile as I had the same result, a loss of pressure. At that point I decided to park the truck and install the Mitusa fuel pump that I had ordered and find out if it was in fact the gauge or if the stock lift pump was acting up.

I decided to create my own filter setup using two Wix 24770 filter bases for a Donaldson 558000 water separator and a Donaldson 551313 filter. This will be used in conjunction with the factory fuel filter. I never liked mounting the filters on the frame rail like a FASS or Airdog because they hang down and are just begging to get ripped off while off-road. So instead I mounted it under the bed just in front of the rear fender well with a bracket I welded up.
IMG_0342_zps9a6beb03.jpg

IMG_0359_zps4b2dfe1c.jpg

Seemed like a safe place that was not being utilized. I ran 3/8 pushloc from the tank, out to the filters then back to the factory metal fuel line.
IMG_0360_zps83a66d63.jpg

IMG_0367_zpscbabf914.jpg

The fuel "log" mounts right where the factory soft fuel line comes off the metal line right under the drivers floorboard. The fuel “log” is incredibly simple and has worked great so far.
IMG_0370_zps49855984.jpg

It consists of a bypass regulator sandwiched between four pushloc JIC fittings. The plumbing is as follows: fuel from the tank comes in first fitting and then exits through the second right before the regulator. It then goes to the Mitusa pump. Fuel then returns from the pump to the post regulator side where it goes to the stock fuel filter or, if pressure exceeds the specified psi, is bled off to the supply side of the regulator. I decided to just bypass the factory lift pump all together and take it out of the loop. A .020” shim in the regulator placed the pressure to the vp44 at 15-16 psi at idle and 16-17psi at anything above. WOT doesn't drop the pressure at all. So in the end the gauge ended up being right.

The pump itself mounts off the front of the oil pan and runs off of a small pulley bolted to the harmonic balancer. It is tucked up and out of the way from any harm.
IMG_0372_zpsfc2f151c.jpg

Simple is good and it doesn't get much more simple than this setup. I plan to carry an extra belt just in case there is ever a problem.

2001.5 Dodge Cummins QCSB, 4x4, auto, Smarty S03

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Nice set up on the fuel system! I am looking at an '02, and have yet to really digest all the options. There seem to be too many options...

D

Deleted member 12023

Nice looking truck!! I have always wanted a white short bed. My advice if you are going to wheel the truck and have it for a while, skip the 99HD steering and go right for the thuren steering. I have the 99HD and I'm not crazy with it off road. The tied rods and drag link bind up and clunk because they don't have enough articulation in them. Also check out doing a rear shackle flip in that bad boy. It will smooth out the rear end incredibly! If you have any questions feel free to ask around. There are many knowledgable guys on here.

o00otii

Thanks 12valve, I hadn't heard that about the HD setup. I have looked at the Thuren setup, but you need to drill out the knuckles I believe? I feel like they might interfere with the factory 16" rims as well. How has the longevity of running full heims worked out? I might have to keep this in mind down the road.

D

Deleted member 12023

Thanks 12valve, I hadn't heard that about the HD setup. I have looked at the Thuren setup, but you need to drill out the knuckles I believe? I feel like they might interfere with the factory 16" rims as well. How has the longevity of running full heims worked out? I might have to keep this in mind down the road.

Yes you are right, the heims will interfere with the factory wheels. I don't have the Thuren steering myself, but wish I had bought it instead of the 99HD. I'm not really that happy with the 99HD. As for the Thuren steering, it is pretty much bombproof. There are many guys mobbing their trucks running that steering. Check out Dodgetrucksxtreme.com. But be prepared to empty your wallet hanging out over there!

o00otii

Thanks! No I haven't played much music at all. It has the stock CD/Cassette player and since I've been running my iPod in my last vehicle, my CD collection is severely lacking. Looks like I need to whip up some good old mix CDs in the mean time.

On a different topic, took the truck for a drive in the mountains on hwy 9 out of Los Gatos to skyline/hwy 35 and it drove well. Except for the constant audio assault of the straight pipe climbing the grade. So an FTE 30" resonator/muffler is on order. We'll see how much it quiets the exhaust down.

gsanders

Observer
Good to see someone with exactly the same thought as my wife and I. I originally owned a 1998 Nissan Frontier (4 cyl, 4wd, 5 spd) with a topper. Our parameters for a truck were more cab space to fit 5 adults comfortably for a several hour trip, the ability to eventually haul a pop-up camper, and no worse mileage than my Frontier (I was getting 19.5 with 31" tires).

I researched different trucks for about 5 months. I used to own a Toyota and I have multiple friends with newer Tacomas and Frontiers with the full 4 doors. I have also driven a bevy of government full size trucks from the Big 3. Originally, I was thinking 2003-2004 Tacoma. However, after reading multiple forums I realized the additions I would need to make (airbags/springs, heavier duty brakes perhaps?), the over-inflated cost of used Tacomas ($12,000-$20,000), and the small size of the bed deterred me. I also looked at half-tons. Payload capacity was better, costs were much lower, but the brakes with a pop-up camper and boat/snowmobile trailer scared me. Also, the mileage on a Tacoma or 1/2 ton drops to 16-18 AT BEST.

In the end, I purchased a used 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with the CTD and the extended cab in good shape with 135k. I get 21 mpg as a daily driver and that is with the 285/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires that came with it. I am hoping with some narrower tires I will get up to 22 mpg.

Nice work on the custom fabrication of the brackets and fuel system install. Out of curiousity, why did you decide the install and secondary filter system? Since I purchased mine, I installed an Air Dog Raptor lift pump that plumbs into the stock filter housing and I run a Baldwin filter. So far, with about 7500 miles on it my fuel pressure is constant and I haven't replaced a filter yet. Just wondering what the insight was for the multiple filter setup.

Also, I did my first oil change this weekend and the stock drain plug broke from previous over torque-ing. If you haven't read up on that issue that is another one to add to the list. I purchased a replacement plug but it isn't sealing well so it looks like I will be investing in a Fumoto valve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles