Fiberglass M416/M100 Military-style Trailer Tub Kit

justageek

So for the M72-W, is the harbor Freight #94564 a good choice?
1720 Lb. Capacity Super Duty Utility Trailer, 48" X 96"

I wouldn't be very interested in the tilting bed feature of that one, and it's made up of two 4x4 sections so trimming 2 feet off the length of it may not be as simple as a sawzall and one less crossmember.
Is there another 4x8 or 4x6 that I'm missing?

Edit: Found info about the 94564 frame at Dinoot's site. Seems like it IS the right choice for the Jeep-style extended tub. But that tub is 6" longer than the M72, correct? Would the same cut instructions work?
http://www.dinoot.com/frames-HF_Extended.pdf

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So for the M72-W, is the harbor Freight #94564 a good choice?
1720 Lb. Capacity Super Duty Utility Trailer, 48" X 96"

I wouldn't be very interested in the tilting bed feature of that one, and it's made up of two 4x4 sections so trimming 2 feet off the length of it may not be as simple as a sawzall and one less crossmember.
Is there another 4x8 or 4x6 that I'm missing?

Edit: Found info about the 94564 frame at Dinoot's site. Seems like it IS the right choice for the Jeep-style extended tub. But that tub is 6" longer than the M72, correct? Would the same cut instructions work?
http://www.dinoot.com/frames-HF_Extended.pdf

Yes, the HF 94564 is an excellent choice, and yes those Dinoot instructions will work, but when I get to the point in this project where I'm doing the frame, I'll show how you can use the HF 94564 frame, cut it to 6', and use the cut-off extra parts to strengthen the frame and build a center backbone all the way from the coupler to the back of the frame.

When I built a 4' frame for the prototype Dinoot Compact, I did the same thing, here's a link to instructions for that: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-118.html. Below is a photo of the reinforced 4' frame, notice that it's got a center backbone that includes a receiver at the front to be able to switch couplers (I use both a ball-type and a 3-axis on this trailer), and a receiver in the back for things like the bicycle carrier. Plans for a 6' version to come, but check out the instructions for the 4' version to get an idea of how it's done. It's also running 245/75-16's on Jeep Moab rims, there's more info on fitting Jeep wheels on trailers here (the center holes in Jeep alloy wheels are too small to fit over most trailer hubs): http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-64.html

BikeRack1.jpg

BTW, here's my 3-Axis Coupler, still in primer in the photo below, if you're interested in building one it's made mostly from common parts from Tractor Supply and can be built for less than $50 (you do need a welder). Plans and instructions for the coupler project are here: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-65.html

3AxisCloseUp.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I just want to buy the 1/4 scale M416. What a great match to my full size one. It can go behind the grandkids electric powered jeep!!!!

Hey, I've still got the 1/4 scale molds, I can always make more... here's some photos of a some 1/4 scale fiberglass parts being molded:

QtrScaleMolding_zps4d84a272.jpg

You're on your own for 1/4 scale frames and tires though, here are mine BTW :).

HFTrailerFrames.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's a photo of the military mold masters sort of mocked up into a tub. Since the sides and ends are the same, I only made two mold masters, so the masters themselves don't make a full tub, but it's fun to set them up to get an idea of where this project is headed. They also don't exactly represent the final fiberglass tub because the masters have extra flanges for molding and will be trimmed and assembled differently than the masters just sitting together like this.

TubMockup2_zpsc7f74ef7.jpg

There are more new photos and stuff in the main build thread at the Trailer Adventuring forum: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-119.html

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Fender choices... there are a bunch of fender options for a tub like this, input please...

Here are some I've come up with.

1. Original M416 fenders. Recently I picked up a pair of NOS (new old stock, never used) M416 fenders, so if you could find a pair of these, they could be used with this tub kit. You'd also need the angle brackets that are necessary to bolt these to the tub and frame.

FendersM416NOS_zps8905efe2.jpg

2. 10" "Jeep-style" fenders. etrailer.com offers 10" wide "Jeep style" fenders; they're not quite the same shape as the original military fenders, but some trailer manufacturers use them, like Sierra 4x4, so maybe that's a look people like. Here's a photo of a Sierra with those fenders:

Sierra1_zps67826087.jpg

etrailer.com sells fenders like these for $29.95 each plus shipping; Northern Tool offers them for $32.99, but if you have a Northern Tool near you, you could pick them up and avoid shipping. But - I think if you look closely you can see that these fenders on the Sierra don't quite cover the full tread of the tire - something a little wider is really needed.

------

The two options above don't really cover typical "tow-vehicle-sized" tires, they're really best for the original military 6.50x16 or 7.00x16 tires. For example, here's a really beautiful M416 I found on the internet with tow-vehicle-sized tires and the original fenders, along with an unrestored M416 with original tires and fenders:

M416FenderCompare-1.jpg

So I think there needs to some fender options for wider tires.

------

3. 13" wide Round Fenders/ If you like the M100 round fender look, there are 13" wide round fenders available from a number of places, one of which is etrailer.com. The photo below shows an original M100 with its narrow fenders, and the 13" wide fenders that are on the market:

RoundFenders2_zps71114266.jpg

etrailer.com sells these 13" round fenders for $42.95 each, but I like KMT Service Parts, they're not too far from me so I can avoid shipping costs, and they sell the same size round fenders for $28.68 each or $52.30 per pair (Wow, two at KMT for only $10 more than one at etrailer, even if you have to pay shipping that's a good deal).

4. Wider M416-style fenders. Another option I'm planning is M416-style fenders that are 12.75" wide.

M416FenderDimensions_zps45ebb709.jpg

The way I've designed them, they can either be bolted directly to an original M416 using the brackets welded to that tub and frame, or they can be bolted directly to the fiberglass tub without the added expense of brackets. If these do get manufactured it may also make sense to also offer them in the original 9.75" width for people who just need to replace their bent or rusted M416 original fenders and don't need any extra width.

Are there any M416 owners out there that would be interested in getting a set of wider stock-fit M416 fenders to cover a wider wheel/tire combination? (or original-width fenders to replace bent/rusted ones?)

5. Fiberglass fenders. Another option, this time in fiberglass, would be to use the molds I made for my Retro Wrangler pickup. These cover larger tires very nicely (my truck has 32's). They're not exactly like the military fenders, but maybe some people would like this style...

Installed2_zps308b9b01.jpg

If you guys know of any other good fender options that are currently available, I'd be very interested to hear about them. Or if you've got any fender ideas you think I should implement, either in sheet metal or fiberglass, I'd like to hear those ideas too. I could always make a new mold or two for additional fender designs in fiberglass.

Input please: if you were building one of these trailer kits, which fenders would you choose, and why?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've got an ammo can mounted in my yellow Jeep-tub trailer and it's turned out to be extremely handy for storing things like tie-downs, extra hitch pins, etc. Since the military tub has somewhat less interior room than the Jeep-tub trailer, I've been playing with ideas for mounting an ammo can without taking up precious interior space. Here's a photo I took the other day when I was mocking up the tub using the mold masters:

MockupAmmoCan_zpsf6c8a187.jpg

One problem with mounting it where it's shown in the photo is that the angled section of the tub would make it inconvenient to open. Also, since it would be mounted on the outside of the tub, it be best if there were a way to lock it.

For the ammo can in the other trailer, I solved the top opening/locking problem by hingeing the top and installing a locking paddle handle:

TrailerOpen10.jpg

AmmoBoxLatch3.jpg

I think I'll probably do the same mods to the ammo can shown in the first photo in this post so it can be conveniently mounted (and locked) on the outside of the military tub.

I bought the paddle latch from Northern Tool, and I made up a cutting template. If anyone wants to do this mod to their own ammo cans, here's a thread with more info: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-77.html

I'm also looking at ways to mount Jerry cans on the side - because this tub is about 2" taller than the original M416/M100 tubs, it's slightly easier to mount Jerry cans on the side.

MockupJerryCan_zpsdf452886.jpg

I've worked up a design for universal frame-mounted brackets that could be used to mount either ammo cans or Jerry cans (or whatever else might be appropriate) on the side like this. The drawing below shows two ideas - brackets for mounting items even with the bottom of the frame, and some to mount items a few inches below the frame, which might be useful for taller items. The brackets shown below would still need to be adapted to whatever exact item they were to carry, so a jerry can carrier could be bolted to them, or a "shelf" put across them, etc.

FrameBrackets_zpsa4ac5215.jpg

The ammo can can be mounted about 2" away from the side on the level brackets, which will allow the hinged top to open wide enough.

With the drop-down brackets, the jerry cans will be able to mount vertically, the brackets will mount them a few inches below the frame and that way they'll clear the angled section of the tub.

AndrewDM

Adventurer
Are there any M416 owners out there that would be interested in getting a set of wider stock-fit M416 fenders to cover a wider wheel/tire combination? (or original-width fenders to replace bent/rusted ones?)

Yes. I was looking earlier this year for 12 " wide fenders to clear the larger tires and could not find any utility trailer fender to would work. 12.75" would cover a cast Jeep wheel and spacer perfectly.
Some of the off road trailer builders will sell a set of fenders. I have contacted several that responded favorably.

I was able to get a set fenders from one of the trailer builders and will post up a pic of them once they are received and mounted.

Andy

sleeper00

Observer
Great work so far! I will definitely be onboard with this once they are in production!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today doing the fiberglass work to make the molds for the side panels and the (standard width) end panels. Throughout the day as I do the work I'll be posting a tutorial on the steps involved in doing the fiberglass work, so if you're interested in learning about fiberglass, check out the main build thread in the Trailer Adventuring forum: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-119.html

Also... about a week or so ago I posted a drawing of a "wide" version of the fiberglass tub that would be easy to make using the same side panel molds and a wider end panel mold:

M72W-2_zpsef6d2f9e.jpg

Someone asked me for a little more detail on what that width might look like, so I took the photo below of a Jeep tailgate sitting on top of the standard width mold master and edited it to show what the wider end panel might look like. Here's both together:

EndPanelMasterTailgate600_zpsf0af3775.jpg

WideEndPanelMasterMockup_zps50c0dddb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne