Fiberglass M416/M100 Military-style Trailer Tub Kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I just finished the color coat on the tub:

TubOD1_zps7f821c39.jpg

TubOD2_zps62d801dc.jpg

TubOD3_zps7522e23f.jpg

It's still wet in these shots, so it hasn't flattened all the way yet.

All that's left is doing the inside of the tub with bed liner, I'll probably do that tomorrow morning. Final assembly should happen Monday.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This morning I shot the tub and the inside of the tailgate with Raptor bed liner, so now the tub is done. Final assembly tomorrow.

TubBedLiner2_zpsb50102c6.jpg

TubBedLiner1_zps90c90227.jpg

TubBedLiner3_zps0019bbb5.jpg

TailgateBedliner1_zps2ccbc3db.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The fender collection for this project, I painted them all to match... left to right:

- Original NOS M416 fenders, 9.75" wide. Covers "normal" sized wheels/tires, like the 235/75-15's the frame is wearing in this photo.

- Wide M416-style fenders, 13" wide. Covers "Jeep-sized" tires on Jeep alloy wheels, up to 35" or so.

- Wide M100-style round fenders, 13" wide. Covers "Jeep-sized" tires on Jeep ally wheels, up to 35" or so.

Since I set up all of these fenders to mount to the same bolt pattern on the tub any pair can be swapped on.

FendersDone1_zps6e7bd778.jpg

FendersDone3_zps440900d1.jpg

I know normally one wouldn't have three sets of fenders for a trailer, but this is a prototype trailer, designed to show different configurations and options, so I went for all three :). Photos of all three with different wheels and tires to come this week.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
An actual M416 frame...

M416Frame.jpg

And the Harbor Freight version...

FrameDone24_zpseb565477.jpg

A possibly biased comparison ;):

Both are of steel c-channel construction. The M416 frame might be a little more substantial, but the HF side channels are a not-too-shabby 3 1/4 x 1 1/2 x 5/32, so both seem adequate to the task.

The HF frame has center backbone which also serves as a mount for receivers front and rear. Nothing like that on the M416 frame.

The M416 frame is welded, the HF frame is bolted. If you've got a welder, the HF frame can be welded too.

The M416 frame has a lunette eye coupler. I've stuck a lunette eye in the front receiver of the HF frame for this photo, but because it's got a receiver, a ball coupler or a 3-axis can swap right in.

The M416 has a non-adjustable landing leg; this HF frame is equipped with an HF tongue jack.

The M416 frame has 16" wheels with military NDT tires; in this photo the HF frame has 235/75-15's, although it also runs Jeep Moab 16's.

Paint. A simple scuff and the HF frame was ready for its olive drab paint. The typical M416 frame will need a little more paint prep :).

The M416 frame tongue is fairly short, enough for maybe two jerry cans. The HF frame tongue is long enough for a 24" rack basket (from HF) and still will allow enough room for a Wrangler side-swing tailgate to swing open. The tongeu on the HF frame is more on the lines of the type found on the Adventure Trailers Chaser, with room for lots of kit:

ATChaser_zps495adfec.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Got the M72 prototype trailer assembly completed today...

Done-1_zpsc24e598c.jpg

Done-2_zpsc4f38df9.jpg

The bed liner is a perfect match, but it does have more of a gloss than the paint, so to the camera it shows up a bit lighter.

Done-3_zps16928fa1.jpg

Done-4_zpsa495210f.jpg

Tomorrow I'll swap on some Jeep alloy wheels and tires and wider fenders and shoot some more photos. In all of these photos the trailer has 9.75"-wide stock NOS M416 fenders.

Last edited:

FJC Scout

Observer
I am itching to spend money on a trailer! Hurry up and start selling! Lol, and I'm in Portland, so easy peezy to start this up!

klb67

Observer
Jeff, I think you have a winner. A very nice DIY project for someone to handle who doesn't have the fabrication skills that are more or less required to resurrect an original.

I had to look up images of original M416s just to compare. Again, well done. It is interesting to note the difference in appearance between the "turned out" trailer top edge and the "turned in" top edge on your design. You explained why the turned in edge and I agree with the rationale. I also suppose it would be easy enough to add a turned out rim around the top for those so inclined.

Your frame picture comparision above is also very informative - I think it should ease many questions about using the HF frame.

It would be intersting to see the trailer with a 3,500 lb axle, wheel and tire combo that seems to be commonly swapped onto M416s.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff, I think you have a winner. A very nice DIY project for someone to handle who doesn't have the fabrication skills that are more or less required to resurrect an original.

I had to look up images of original M416s just to compare. Again, well done. It is interesting to note the difference in appearance between the "turned out" trailer top edge and the "turned in" top edge on your design. You explained why the turned in edge and I agree with the rationale. I also suppose it would be easy enough to add a turned out rim around the top for those so inclined.

Your frame picture comparision above is also very informative - I think it should ease many questions about using the HF frame.

It would be intersting to see the trailer with a 3,500 lb axle, wheel and tire combo that seems to be commonly swapped onto M416s.

Thank you very much.

Tomorrow I'll swap on some 32's on Jeep Moab alloy wheels, along with the wider fenders to cover them. If I had something larger, I'd swap them on, but 32's are the largest tires I have here... :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles