Fiberglass M416/M100 Military-style Trailer Tub Kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I got a question about the weight capacity of 1" EMT (1 3/8" O.D.), so I'll add this information...

The fittings generally come in four sizes (www.creativeshelters.com seems to have the widest range), so you can pick a size appropriate to your intended load:

- 1 inch EMT (electrical conduit, 1 3/8 o.d.)
- 1 3/8 inch chain link fence tubing
- 1 5/8 inch chain link fence tubing
- 1 7/8 inch chain link fence tubing

The larger sizes should be able to support any load that would be safe to drive with (trailer center-of-gravity issues considered :)).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
You could get more creative using these canopy parts... here's a tarp cover frame for a trailer - the difference between this one and the rack I posted earlier is that the corners are 120-degree rise corners, and the cross-tubes have an arch bent in them to crown the roof so water can run off.

CanopyRack2_zpsbd753b8a.jpg

Using a tarp, a grommet kit and some zip-ties, a decent cover could be make up pretty quickly:

CanopyRack3_zpsfcb701c6.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's a shot of the version 2 build as it's progressing, it's now got fenders, and larger tires on Jeep wheels.

msp8_zps2939e660.jpg

The fenders are a good match for the original WWII/Korean War era M100 trailer fenders:

M100-1_zps611b2bca.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Weighing in... the trailer as shown in the photo below weighs 282 lbs. The modified Harbor Freight frame weighs 203 lbs, the 5/8" plywood floor is 33 lbs. and fiberglass tub itself is 46 lbs.

msp7_zps4b01b464.jpg

Equipped as shown in the next photo, with 205/75-15 tires on Jeep wheels it's probably around 350 lbs. ready to roll, well within easy towing range for a 4 cyl. vehicle.

msp8_zps2939e660.jpg

Most people will add other features and gear which would raise the weight, like a tongue jack, maybe a cargo rack on the tongue, maybe even larger tires and fenders, so everyone's finished/equipped weight will vary, but starting at 282 lbs. stripped is a really good place to be.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
How thick is your fiberglass ?

There's no single or simple answer to that, because the two tubs shown in this thread were molded differently to test different layup/reinforcement strategies, and also some parts are molded and reinforced differently than others due to the particular strength requirements of that part, for example, the tailgate end panels need to be especially strong. But it's probably safe to say that the minimum thickness in low-stress areas is about 3/16".

The side panels of the two tubs are a good example. The layup for the first tub (the one that's now painted olive drab with military decals) was done as a sandwich of fiberglass mat and fiberglass woven roving. The resulting side panel thickness is just under 1/4". The black tub side panels were done with a combination of fiberglass mat and coremat reinforcing material (notice the tan color on the inside of the sides of that tub, that's the coremat). As a result of the thickness of the coremat, those side panels are thicker than those for the first tub. But both methods yielded parts that are well up to the task with respect to strength, both can pass the 225-lb. gorilla test for minimum side panel flex...

GorillaTest_zps923f6609.jpg

And both will be are more than capable of supporting a roof-top tent, both with the cover closed and occupants inside...

M72RTT5_zpsc37aa74e.jpg

...and with the cover open...

M72RTT4_zps6697dba3.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The v2 trailer build is now ready for some road testing... fenders have been painted, lights have been installed, front jack/wheel in place...

msp10_zps278fd616.jpg

msp11_zps10033543.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Is there a price yet?

The company announced the base kit price about a week ago on their Facebook page and also said that they'd begin taking orders in the next two weeks, but since this is not a commercial thread, I haven't said anything about that here. I am not an employee of the company, I just do this stuff as a hobby and sometimes companies license my designs from me, as has happened with this kit.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the builds people do using the company's kit and how they outfit them. I'm also looking forward to seeing someone using this tub to replace a rusty, dented old M416 tub on the original M416 frame :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jscherb, would you mind providing a link to the company website or FB page.

Thank you

Since this isn't a commercial thread I don't know if I'm allowed to mention the company name, but you should be able to find them with a google search for "fiberglass military trailer tub kit" or "fiberglass jeep trailer kit".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz