Pickup vs. suv

HotrodSmurf

Observer
I'm looking for a vehicle for me, my wife, our 4 month old, and 2 dogs to do some exploring, mostly just the local mountains. I want a ford ranger but having a baby kills that, and pushes me to a fullsize and I worry about the size. So then I can look at a mid-size suv. So what do you guys think cause i'm stuck.

Forgot to mention, i'm on a limited budget, assuming I can trade in my jeep with no negitive equity, $8000 is tops for initial purchase. Modification will come with time.

Last edited:

greengreer

Adventurer
If you don't need a pickup for work or what have you, then why not get the SUV? If you like the ranger, the explorer is practically the same thing. I certainly love having an 8ft bed truck for work and firewood and stuff, but if I was just using it every once and awhile Iit would be more practical to have an SUV and trailer.

Clutch

<---Pass
You'll get more cargo room with a crew cab and a topper over a SUV when in passenger hauling mode, nice to keep the dirty gear separate from the passenger compartment.

That is one of the advantages of a truck over a SUV, plus if you can purchase a Flip Pac for the truck...so down the road, you, the wife and kid can sleep up top, and the dogs in bed of the truck.

Just have to weigh the pros and cons of each, and see what will work for your lifestyle.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Plenty of options at $8k. Jeep Cherokee, GC, 4Runner, Exploders, Xterra, etc. will all serve you well. Personally, I'd get something like a 96-00 4Runner with a rear locking diff for ~$6-7k, or a 1st Gen Xterra. Baby seats fit with no problems.

Madmaxwell87

Observer
Plenty of options at $8k. Jeep Cherokee, GC, 4Runner, Exploders, Xterra, etc. will all serve you well. Personally, I'd get something like a 96-00 4Runner with a rear locking diff for ~$6-7k, or a 1st Gen Xterra. Baby seats fit with no problems.

I'm in a similar predicament and have been looking at all of those exact vehicles. -Cherokee-too small, 4 runner- too expensive, explorers- problems with the v6 cams, no low range with the v8, and are torsion bar so only expensive lifts or leaving relativity stock, xterra- same problems as explorers and higher initial cost.
My budget is lower and I bleed ford blue but the best option for me is a 99-04 grand Cherokee. v8, low range, solid axles, lots of aftermarket, decent mileage.
I'd love to get a crew cab truck but between the much higher purchase and insurance cost and lower mileage an SUV is a good option.

HotrodSmurf

Observer
Madmaxwell, I am a die hard ford fan as well and currently have a 2000 gc. And I HATE it. But thats just me.

While i'm worried about being too big and looking at cheap I have noticed a lot of first gen. Expeditions for dirt cheap. A few thousand cheaper than a comparable f150.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Today's light duty half ton trucks are very, very SUV like. Many have very large back seats just like a large SUV. But the trucks bed is way more versitle than the cargo area of a SUV.

I'd take a long hard look at F150 crew cabs and the Toyota Tundras. Giving the edge to the Ford.

See if you can convince the wife that a Raptor Crew Cab is a fine family vehicle!

4x4junkie

Explorer
explorers- problems with the v6 cams,

First I've heard of that...
I have heard of a few wear issues with the upper pushrods/rockers on the 4.0L, however I tend to think this is more of a sign of abuse and/or neglect. My buddy's got 200K on his 4.0L Ranger and it's quiet as new. Mine's at 105K and it's been fine as well. The vast majority of these engines should easily hit 300K and well beyond if taken care of (some have reported seeing even 500K).

A '91-'94 Explorer is what you'd want for sure if modifications are in store (easier/cheaper to lift, more suspension flex, tons of axle options, etc.). Low-mid 20s MPG hwy is common if you can find one with a stickshift and 3.55 or 3.73 gears.
Some came with 3.27 gears... Avoid those at all costs unless regearing (for bigger tires) is to immediately follow purchase.

I've had both. As some previous posters have mentioned, a newer crew cab with shell is the way to go. :sombrero: (Of course, my wife drives a 2010 Suburban and would argue with me...until she borrows my truck to pick up a bale of hay.)

Madmaxwell87

Observer
Madmaxwell, I am a die hard ford fan as well and currently have a 2000 gc. And I HATE it. But thats just me.

While i'm worried about being too big and looking at cheap I have noticed a lot of first gen. Expeditions for dirt cheap. A few thousand cheaper than a comparable f150.
Why do you hate the GC? As for the expeditions that's another option that I looked at. The problem with them is the mileage-15-16 highway stock, and i wouldn't leave it stock, making it no better on fuel than my current truck. Also they have ifs so you can do the big dollar ifs lifts or crank the torsion bars for a stiff ride. Still an option but the GC looks better to me so I'm very curious what you don't like.
First I've heard of that...
I have heard of a few wear issues with the upper pushrods/rockers on the 4.0L, however I tend to think this is more of a sign of abuse and/or neglect. My buddy's got 200K on his 4.0L Ranger and it's quiet as new. Mine's at 105K and it's been fine as well. The vast majority of these engines should easily hit 300K and well beyond if taken care of (some have reported seeing even 500K).

A '91-'94 Explorer is what you'd want for sure if modifications are in store (easier/cheaper to lift, more suspension flex, tons of axle options, etc.). Low-mid 20s MPG hwy is common if you can find one with a stickshift and 3.55 or 3.73 gears.
Some came with 3.27 gears... Avoid those at all costs unless regearing (for bigger tires) is to immediately follow purchase.

I'm talking 95-01 with the OHC motors. Also the 5 speed autos in those are notorious for loosing servos and such. If I wanted a play truck it'd be a 91-94 explorer or a bronco but I like a little more rounded and newer/upscale look for my dd. The OHV motors are dead nuts reliable but I want a v8 for power and sound.

ZachDiesel

You could get a '95-'97 Land Cruiser for around 8k. Perfect fit for what you're describing. Of course I'm biased. I have a '97 FJZ80 40th Anniversary. My family and I love it and use it in the same way you will.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
4-door Tacoma.

Today's light duty half ton trucks are very, very SUV like. Many have very large back seats just like a large SUV. But the trucks bed is way more versitle than the cargo area of a SUV.

I'd take a long hard look at F150 crew cabs and the Toyota Tundras. Giving the edge to the Ford.

See if you can convince the wife that a Raptor Crew Cab is a fine family vehicle!

I've had both. As some previous posters have mentioned, a newer crew cab with shell is the way to go. :sombrero: (Of course, my wife drives a 2010 Suburban and would argue with me...until she borrows my truck to pick up a bale of hay.)

:rolleyes: Did you guys not read his original message? His budget is $8k.

You could get a '95-'97 Land Cruiser for around 8k. Perfect fit for what you're describing. Of course I'm biased. I have a '97 FJZ80 40th Anniversary. My family and I love it and use it in the same way you will.

Well, an 80 would meet his budget but he wants power and MPG, neither of which the 80 is noted for. ;)

4x4junkie

Explorer
I'm talking 95-01 with the OHC motors. Also the 5 speed autos in those are notorious for loosing servos and such. If I wanted a play truck it'd be a 91-94 explorer or a bronco but I like a little more rounded and newer/upscale look for my dd. The OHV motors are dead nuts reliable but I want a v8 for power and sound.

The SOHC 4.0L arrived as an option for '97 (together with the 5-speed auto). The OHV 4.0L availability continued alongside it for a little while longer (how much longer I don't recall at the moment, maybe through '00, as that would match the timeline for the 4.0L Ranger). The A-arm IFS is reason enough to avoid the '95-'01s if you plan to build it at all though.

I see now where you came from. Yes, the SOHC engines did have cam chain tensioner issues until about the '04 models (which would include all the later Explorers of that year range that came with it)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke