Scout II/ Four Wheel Camper Buildup

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Outstanding job. Keep up the good work.
How does it feel driving on and off road?
A full size camper in my pickup gives it a top heavy feeling. Your pop up camper should be a great improvement.

Regards,

Jim

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Thanks for all the kind words and questions. It's amazing how a forum like this keeps a person motivated to progress instead of procrastinate. I have the latter perfected...

Lynn said:
Great truck! Like fisher205, I, too, am anxious for interior pix.

I'll send the interior pics as soon as it is decent. Besides the bed, sink, burners, and heater, everything is very "temporary" inside. Much progress will take place in the next few weeks...

Lynn said:
Since it sits level, I assume I was mistaken about the weight offset? What was I missing? I'm trying to learn as much as I can from other people's builds.

Mobryan said:
No, obviously what happened was that the weight offset induced a lean, that counteracted the pre-existing Scout lean (No extra charge from the factory ), there by negating the orginal lean

You are both sort of right...

The Scout already sagged in the back left. It seems to "stick" in the compressed position, even after I changed the bushings and played with the shackle bolt tightness. Before, I always loaded the heavy items on the passenger side in an attempt of offset this. It never worked. Now, it doesn't lean any more than it did before. I need to have the springs re-arched or just get new ones. The Skyjacker lift was installed by the previous owner 10 years ago.

My 65' Scout 80 had the same issue. The old IHC "Lean Cuisine" recipe...:chowtime:

4cruzer said:
in your pre-build research, did you happen to come across any similar conversions for the first generation 4runner? I've wanted to make a similar custom top since I've had it.....

I don't mean anger the IHC folks...
After analyzing the cost an engine swap (to increase mileage & range), I considered mounting the camper on a series I 4-runner instead of the Scout. It would definitely fit with some modification. 4WC made them for Broncos, Blazers, and Scouts back in the 70's & 80's. I checked Craigslist daily for a year before finding this one...
The construction is fairly simple, if you can TIG weld. The hardest part would be the canvas/ vinyl.

Alaskantinbender said:
How does it feel driving on and off road? A full size camper in my pickup gives it a top heavy feeling. Your pop up camper should be a great improvement.

It's not bad. It doesn't feel too top- heavy and the ride quality is not much different than when I had it fully loaded for camping. The steering feels a little sketchy after moving more weight towards the back, but fixing my sagging rear springs should help.

Joaquin Suave said:
Would you like the origional swing out tire carrier (with all the brackets / mounting hardware, & adaptor for larger tires) that came on my Jeep Scrambler?

You have it for FREE! I'd be proud to contribute it to you UBER-COOL project.

I'm right behind the Pismo Dunes, stop by and pick it up the next time you come down to play in the sand.

Thank you for the generous offer. I just picked up a OR-Fab tire carrier for $75 on Craigslist. I'll definitely contact you next time before playing in the sand box. I'd love to check out Libelula.

BTW, I went to Cuesta/ Poly and lived in SLO for 9 years. I've seen Casa Azul on more than one occasion posted outside Frog & Peach (my old watering hole)...awesome rig. I miss the Central Coast...

Mobryan

Adventurer
Phil-

Something that's been bugging me for a bit...

If you needed to match the window/camper angle to get everything to seal properly, why not switch the window glass to a Terra/Traveler set? They slope forward at the rear edge, at about the angle of the Blazer B pillar. Seems that it would have been much easier then trying to remodel the sides.

Matt

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Mobryan said:
Phil-

Something that's been bugging me for a bit...

If you needed to match the window/camper angle to get everything to seal properly, why not switch the window glass to a Terra/Traveler set? They slope forward at the rear edge, at about the angle of the Blazer B pillar. Seems that it would have been much easier then trying to remodel the sides.

Matt

Yeah...the thing is...

I didn't even think about it. I noticed the sloped window on a Terra at Anything Scouts back in 93 or 94, but failed to connect the dots. Good idea Matt.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
AWSOME!! Love the ol'scouts! The camper addition makes it that much better.. Looking foward to more pics!:jump:

bajasurf

Explorer
1990 C350 Ford Centurion

I have a 90 Centurion(4 door Bronco) 7.3 diesel,4x4, that I am considering a 4 Wheel Camper add on. At one time 4 wheel manufactured a pop up for the Bronco as they did for the Blazer. The problem was they leaked but that can be resolved with a little ingenuity. There is a 4 Wheel pop up for sale here in Erendira and I have made an offer. Not made for the Bronco or Blazer but I can make it work. If I do but it I will post photos of the remodel if it is of interest to this board. Thanks, George Lanning

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Bella PSD said:
I love this idea!!
So much so I started looking around and found this...
View attachment 14399
and this.....View attachment 14400View attachment 14401

Its a 4 Wheel Camper made for a old Blazer!!
For sale here($400)....http://ventura.craigslist.org/rvs/529724539.html BUT looks like it needs lots of work.

What a great idea!! Love the IH too!!

Louie

If anyone is in SOCAL (or willing to drive) and is interested in a pop-up camper, I would pick this thing up. They are very rare (at least on Craigslist). Good find Louie!

My camper was not in the best shape either. The frame is aluminum, so you don't have to worry about corrosion. The paneling on that camper was the same as mine- paper-thin aluminum shingles with the fake wood accent strip. Since all of the sides are flat, the replacement paneling was relatively easy. The fiberglass insulation would probably need to be changed (I suggest Insulfoam) which would cost less than $25. The back door hinges are incorporated into the frame. Mine are sagging a bit, but work. If they didn't, it would be easy to replace them with external hinges (with lag-bolts for security). The camper is relatively easy to adapt to any vehicle with a removable back or even a pick-up. All of the wood components in the camper could be easily replaced.

Here are potential issues:
-The vinyl could be torn
-The heater may need a new control module or could be corroded
-If it has a non-operational fridge, scrap it and get an ARB. That was my contingency plan.

I pulled off the paneling afraid of what was on the other side. After removing the first section, it was clear that it is not a complicated design.

If anyone buys this, I can provide crude blueprints/ sketches of the frame.

BTW, before working on this camper, I had never worked with metal. I somehow pieced it together without welding. If you know how to weld, this project would be much easier (and cheaper).

-Phil

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
bajasurf said:
I have a 90 Centurion(4 door Bronco) 7.3 diesel,4x4, that I am considering a 4 Wheel Camper add on. At one time 4 wheel manufactured a pop up for the Bronco as they did for the Blazer. The problem was they leaked but that can be resolved with a little ingenuity. There is a 4 Wheel pop up for sale here in Erendira and I have made an offer. Not made for the Bronco or Blazer but I can make it work. If I do but it I will post photos of the remodel if it is of interest to this board. Thanks, George Lanning
"Centurion" if they were 4wd and "Metropolitan" if they were 2wd. Sort of Ford's answer to a Suburban. Cars & Concepts grafted the rear of an FSB to a 4 door pick-up cab. Yours is the first I've heard of with a diesel engine. Every other sample I've seen or driven had an EFI 460 in it.

The CL add says Ventura, but it must actually be in Santa Barbara, CA. Local to me, but I've no interest.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Tire Carrier

Finally got the spare off of the roof! It was not fun military- pressing that tire every time I popped- up the camper.

This is an OR-FAB carrier built for a TJ or YJ. It has braze-ons for a hi-lift, lips/ braze-ons for 2 Blitz/ Jerry gas cans, and 2 light/ antenna tabs.

$75 bucks on Craigslist!

ScoutTireCarrier006.jpg

ScoutTireCarrier001-1.jpg

ScoutTireCarrier002.jpg

Mobryan

Adventurer
How did you reinforce the end panels for the swing-away mount? I like it a lot better then having all that weight on top, but I'd had to hit a big whoop-de-whoo and have the back half of the camper leave the front half:oops:

Matt

sdecker

Does anyone know what happened to this camper? I think it was for sale long ago in the SF Bay Area. Didn't buy it then but sure wish I had it now.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Does anyone know what happened to this camper? I think it was for sale long ago in the SF Bay Area. Didn't buy it then but sure wish I had it now.

I wish you had bought it too! I lived in San Leandro at the time so it would have been a short drive home for you. We just sold that house and moved to Benicia.

I ended up selling the Scout (sight unseen- his dad picked it up) and top separately. No one even came to test drive it or kick the tires. With the amount of interest in the combo, it seemed crazy.

The Scout ended up in Reno. The top ended up on a Scout Terra Diesel in Alameda. Well, that's what happened to the camper. What happened to the project is another story: bought a house, had a kid, 4-runner had engine issues- replaced it with a Tacoma, got a Flippac, had another kid...

It was a great truck- just no room for the kids and my wife couldn't drive it. I didn't have time to work on it either. The new combo works much better for us.

Hopefully the new owner of the camper shows up on expo. I'd love to find out what he's done with it. The new platform is ideal for the pop-up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier