MIG welder recommendations for my project

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I just got a Hobart Hanlder 190 for Christmas, it is an amazing and affordable welder. It does everything I need it to do and then some.

Jfet

Adventurer
After watching a youtube video, I determined that you can take off the brass nozzle and expose the end of the liner (this may have been obvious to you guys). I was able to then ream out the nozzle and remove the burr.

It now welds so smooth with the 0.024 wire, no breaks, no sputter. Very happy!

Glenn D

Observer
Good that you found the problem, sorry there was a problem!.. I really like my Miller, and have had the best of luck with it and onbly have operator problems.. inforrect heat / wire speed problems and the like. It just welds wonderfully... now on to bigger and funner projects!...

I was going to say move the liner closer to the feed wheels, but the blockage would even make that a problem.

dlh62c

Explorer
If I want to build a big expedition vehicle box out of mostly 0.065 wall mild steel tube..........,

Don't get me wrong, my intent is not to attack your welding skills. But do you really want to tackle a job that size? Have you considered having someone else weld up the frame. Then use your welder to add items to fit out the shell.

Several years ago a friend and I got the bug to build a pair of Dune Buggies. To save money, he welded his frame, while I purchased mine pre-welded. He did a great job, the welds looked great and appeared strong. It wasn't until he put the wheels and tires on that he noticed a problem. On a level floor one front wheel was about 2" off the ground.

You need to be ever mindful in trying to keep things square as you weld it up. You might need to build a jig to hold pieces square as you tack and weld everything up. This is the skeleton for your total build.

daryl

Last edited:

Jfet

Adventurer
Don't get me wrong, my intent is not to attack your welding skills. But do you really want to tackle a job that size? Have you considered having someone else weld up the frame. Then use your welder to add items to fit out the shell.

Several years ago a friend and I got the bug to build a pair of Dune Buggies. To save money, he welded his frame, while I purchased mine pre-welded. He did a great job, the welds looked great and appeared strong. It wasn't until he put the wheels and tires on that he noticed a problem. On a level floor one front wheel was about 2" off the ground.

You need to be ever mindful in trying to keep things square as you weld it up. You might need to build a jig to hold pieces square as you tack and weld everything up. This is the skeleton for your total build.

daryl

Yes, I did consider hiring a welder. They want $80/hr with no guarantee how long it might take to do the job. My hobby is precision machining and I have several pieces of cnc equipment...I won't be making the mistake your friend made. I plan to do plenty of tacking, measuring, welding in a pattern to minimize heat warping, etc.

If I had around $500,000 I would just hire an expedition builder to do the whole thing for me, turnkey.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
I have a little side business fabricating gates and railings mostly. I have taken a few classes and have put in quite a bit or time behind the machine. I am still no where near the level of a master welder that can handle any process in any position.

If you have the time I would highly recommend taking a course at a local community college. I am frankly surprised no one else has recommended this. The improvement in my skills per hour or practice is about 10 to 1 class vs learning on my own.

Its amazing what a difference a little practice and guidance will make. GMAW/MIG is the general process of choice for general steel fabrication. I find the appearance of TIG/GTAW welds to be the best looking welds and its just such a nice clean process. Then again I want to do aluminum so TIG is what I need to learn. Learning TIG is a huge investment of time and its just a lot harder than other processes because its totally manual I mean you have hold the torch, feed in rod and control the amperage with a foot pedal. Its a lot handle so I dont blame you for feeling frustrated. TIG is generally the last process that a welder learns.

I have recently decided that I am going to get serious about my side business and try to maybe turn it into a full time day job, the first step for me is going back to school for more welding classes. I plan on getting certified. Classes are often not very expensive and only one night a week. You may even be able to get into an advanced fabrication class and bring you project into the shop as a class project. Just having a AWS certified weld inspector critique your welds is a real learning experience that has been worth while.

If nothing else get a text book or course work book to consult. It will have necessary information on travel angles ect.

Jfet

Adventurer
You may even be able to get into an advanced fabrication class and bring you project into the shop as a class project.

Pardon, Instructor, but where shall I park my 19,500 GVW Isuzu NRR flatbed with my class project? That corner over there? Sure thing!

:)

I agree though, a class would be nice. I think the internet and you guys will have to do though, because the next classes don't start for 3 months and I am getting started this week and hope to have the frame built by early spring. I will do a bunch of test welds though and sledge hammer them, cut them, etch them, check for penetration, etc. MIG does seem pretty easy compared to TIG. The weld I did yesterday held up to about 40 hits from a 10 pound sledge...I only stopped hitting it because the concrete slab cracked underneath it.

dlh62c

Explorer
If you have the time I would highly recommend taking a course at a local community college.

Very good advice.

...I won't be making the mistake your friend made.

In defense of my friend, he got burned out on the project and rushed it at the end. His wife was afraid he'd burn the house down and wanted the garage back. When he worked outside he had to erect a barrier to hide the arc from the eyes of children and some of the neighbors complained of the noise.

If you still plan to tackle the job, a horizontal bandsaw will come in handy along with some clamps.

daryl

165504_med.gif190939_med.gif
155790_lg.jpg

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
I agree though, a class would be nice. I think the internet and you guys will have to do though, because the next classes don't start for 3 months and I am getting started this week and hope to have the frame built by early spring.

Many local welding supply shops give lessons and pointers as well. Your not limited to a community college.

daryl

Jfet

Adventurer
If you still plan to tackle the job, a horizontal bandsaw will come in handy along with some clamps.

Yes, thanks. I do already have a horizontal bandsaw, even has coolant. I have a abrasive cutoff wheel machine too but the bandsaw is so smooth and easy I use it all the time, except on some very hard metals.

+1 on the clamps...I need more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior