Alaskan Camper Build Up

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
I've been looking at the ute ltd beds for a while now. I really like the fact they have sides and it isn't just a flatbed. When you were talking about wheel travel and clearance issues; would it be possible to use spacers on the bed mounts to gain a couple extra inches? Also what size tires are you running and if I may ask what leveling kit are you using? Old Man Emu has finally released it's superduty lift in the US (and man are they proud of it) but I've put OME on everything else I've owned for good reason so that's the route I'd prob go. Maybe just the front springs to level it and 4 shocks.

Last edited:

Carlyle

Explorer
Thanks for the encouragement Metapoint! The lift I am using is a Procomp 2.5 inch front spring lift only with replacement Biltstein 7100 shocks all the way around. This levels off the truck and makes the camper level as well, provided you are on level ground. There is no reason you could not raise the bed higher off the frame, but I would discourage doing too much as you want to keep the center of gravity down. For more information, get hold of Randy Cryer at Ute 205-510-8621. Very knowledgeable and helpful on anything to do with the Ute bed.

Last edited:

Prybry

Adventurer
Question on the solar fans

Do the solar fans you used have a led light function as well? I noticed the clear dome on the bottom of the fan housing, it looks like a lense for a light of some kind?

If not, this would be a cool feature to have on a solar powered fan...

Great write-up... Great Camper... Enjoy it.

Carlyle

Explorer
The ICP solar fans I'm using do have the LED light. It really isn't much use though as you have to hold the button in for them to work and the one amber LED is really not very bright. The fans on the other hand are great and run 24/7.

Carlyle

Explorer
We have this tall narrow and deep cupboard in the Alaskan that we have pondered for awhile. After a little thought, we put it to work with the help of a local cabinet maker, friend of a friend etc.

Here it is closed:
DSC01658.jpg

Now complete with slide out shelf on metal glides:
DSC01656.jpg

As an added bonus, an extra slide out drawer on more glides:
DSC01657.jpg

Carlyle

Explorer
A local shop had the bed on in about an hour. Then another day for the under deck boxes with some parts fab work.

Carlyle

Explorer
Jim's Shamrock in Canon City, ask for Steve.(719) 275-3111
1303 Royal Gorge Blvd, Cañon City CO 81212

18seeds

Explorer
Thanks

I called Ute and they are very helpful. I also called Protech and got 2 quotes on the same phone call. one for $3k and the other for $4.5k with $900 shipping from WA. haha... gotta love it when you get idoits on the phone.

BTW Ute was very helpful.

Carlyle

Explorer
Well since the truck and camper are so heavy I finally broke down and went with commercial tires and wheels. Goodyear G124 tires in 265/70 19.5" with Vision 19.5" wheels. Look and ride great, rub a bit when turning the wheel all the way. The tires are a little taller, but narrower than the 33's I was running so I have to move the exhaust a bit to make the 5th tire fit in the spare spot. Good news, the chains still fit. I have them at 100 psi and they seem to ride quite smoothly. Don't ask the price... Rickson truck can give you an idea.
DSC01711.jpg

DSC01710.jpg

DSC01712.jpg

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Nice looking tire/wheel package. I am going to presume that commercial = $$$$. Money well spent from what I see!

Carlyle

Explorer
I'm supposed to get 80 to 100K on these instead of the usual 25 to 30k I have been getting. They feel more solid with the camper over them already after only a few miles, they should as their rated for 5500 lbs each. I hope they send the center caps soon, they look incomplete...

wild1

Adventurer
19.5 tires

Carlyle, your new shoes look great on the truck and should go a long way in giving you one less thing to worry about. On my old F350 and 11.5 camper I had three right rear blow outs over the course of about 50,000 miles hauling the camper. Two were due to defective tires and occurred within the first 3000 miles on a trip to Moab. After seeing the damage done from a 65 mile per hour blowout the cost of your tires and wheels is pretty reasonable. Did you ever have a chance to get a fully loaded weight for your rig? Happy trails

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles