Alaskan Camper Build Up

dtruzinski

Explorer
The idea was to bolt the flares to the existing flares. Turned out to be a 'bad' idea. I have now ordered some flat rubber stock that I intend to fasten to the existing fender flares. I ordered 8" wide 3/8" thick stock from (http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/skirtboard_rubber.htm). When I will extend the fender flares by 4" and have 4" of material to fasten to the existing flat surface of the stock flare. I will be back to the project in the second week of April, so will send an update at that time

Please send some pictures when you put them on please.

Thanks

Carlyle

Explorer
Hey Carl, I am kind of curious as to what purpose those lights will be used for? Are they just for lighting up your camp or are they for off-raod driving? What did those lights cost you and what is the amperage draw? Cheers, Chilli....:ylsmoke:

Hey Chilli,

Not sure of the amperage draw on these, but it is fairly low as they only draw 27 watts each. The 40" lightbar on the way on the other hand draws about 16 amps and will produce about 240 watts. The four side lights were $105.

Lights on the sides will be used for campsites at night, the front lightbar will be used for off road driving and wherever the situation requires it.

Carl

Carlyle

Explorer
The idea was to bolt the flares to the existing flares. Turned out to be a 'bad' idea. I have now ordered some flat rubber stock that I intend to fasten to the existing fender flares. I ordered 8" wide 3/8" thick stock from (http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/skirtboard_rubber.htm). When I will extend the fender flares by 4" and have 4" of material to fasten to the existing flat surface of the stock flare. I will be back to the project in the second week of April, so will send an update at that time

Sorry to here the flares are not working yet, I hope the new stuff works as I'm going to need something shortly here as well.

Carlyle

Explorer
Bolted down my Engels today to their trays, rock solid and tray is pinned to the slide rails so they won't flop around now on rough roads. In addition, put the power cords on spring to keep them up and out of the way.

file_zps4576a15d.jpg

file_zpsbd0403cd.jpg

pods8

Explorer
Definitely interested to hear what you think of those Tuff LED's for the price. I was planning to put some sort of flood lighting on the back of my truck for supplemental reverse lights. For the pricing those look quite appealing verse non-LED esp when you factor in each is only pulling about 2 amps.

On your Engles w/ the covers. Do the covers make much difference inside your camper which shades them and also insulates to some extent? Or is that more so protection against wear/tear when other gear is in there?

Carlyle

Explorer
I'll let you know on the LED's. My light bar arrived from overseas today to have a large dent from shipping much to my dismay.

It's being shipped back and a new one on the way, but not in time for my next holiday.

Until then, the Tuff lights will sit in boxes waiting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Carlyle

Explorer
On your Engles w/ the covers. Do the covers make much difference inside your camper which shades them and also insulates to some extent? Or is that more so protection against wear/tear when other gear is in there?

The covers definitely make a difference on the cold retention of the coolers and they run less with the covers on, not much a durabulity issue as they pretty much stay put and everything around them. Since I put the hinge kit on each one and have not re-done the zippers of the coolers they are a bit more of a pain to get in and out of. On the other hand the hinge kit to open from he side and stay open and not flop on your head or hands is much more convenient for me.

Carlyle

Explorer
Part way through a spring trip right now in Gallup, NM for a shower, us and the truck...

We went over Poncha and Wolf Creek Pass in the latest spring blizzard and made it to Durango the first night. We hung out at the Ska brewery overnight and tried all their brews and declared the nitro milk stout to be our favorite.

On from there we entered Chaco Canyon from the north side on a very wet road. The truck lost traction a few times and steering in a the grooves a few times. Did I say mud...

Three nights in Chaco with it filling up at the end as the road dried out and then on to the famous south entrance.

The south entrance ended up more navigable than the north entrance and quite uneventful except for a herd of elk.

BTW, per local advice if the roads are at all wet, head out at the crack of dawn while they are still frozen to avoid the really slick stuff in Chaco Canyon.

Poncha Pass

Saguache

Wolf Creek

Pagosa Springs

Chaco North entrance

End of Chaco north entrance, 200 lbs of mud later...

Campsite at Chaco

After drive brewski

Ruins

More ruins

These folk sure built a lot of stuff...

Where's the car wash?

Coyote looking for a Fifi at the campsite...

Elk on the south entrance

South road

End of the south road and on to Gallup via Highway 9.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles