Alaskan Camper Build Up

Carlyle

Explorer
How much do you weigh? I'm 15k dry and much more wet and having zero issues with the MPT's other than wear.

deminimis

Explorer
Truck isn't here yet, but my rough number crunching gets me close to 19.5K I'll probably be about 1k shy of GVWR wet.

jdinevens

Adventurer
Anyone seen any portable ro units people have put together?

I've been thinking of making one out of the berkey filters and pvc pipe, I have a lot of the military scepter water cans so just set up somewhere to put it up high and let gravity do its thing. not the speediest of filters but with a little pre-planning shouldnt be a problem......you'd need like 3-4 of them to increase the flow rate to acceptable....

Carlyle

Explorer
I ended up using the large Berkley filter system as well. The top fits inside the bottom and travels very well. I then use a ball lock pepsi can and CO2 to push the clean water into my water tank.

deminimis

Explorer
Well Carl, I went back a few pages and discovered your tire wear issue. That's some insane tire wear. I'd come unglued if I was burning through tires like that. I think I'll live with my 19.5s and air down to just 70 to take some of the jolt out of that Baja washboard....and avoid sand. Thanks.

JP5EDC

Hi Carl, I just read through the 944 posts today and wow! What an epic journey and an awe inspiring rig you've got.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OLY-JIM

Hello Carl,

Wow...what a saga...I just completed reading the 95 pages of this thread and I'm thoroughly impressed with your build. You've certainly had what seems to have been a roller-coaster ride with having to deal with the fire to your previous rig, lessons learned along the way, and what seems like the never ending quest for upgrade, the occasional repairs...all while in search of your ultimate rig...impressive! Perhaps I missed this somewhere along the way, but I was hoping you could answer the following: on your first Alaskan Camper build you had installed solar vents / fans on your camper and your feedback seemed really positive regarding this product; however, on your second Alaskan Camper build you obviously chose to forego the installation of the solar vents...why is that? Did they fail to live up to your expectation over time? At any rate, thanks for a wonderful thread! I think I may be the first to kick off a post in 2015...7-8 years after this thread started...and I'm glad to do so!

Although I've been a member of EP since 2009, this message actually marks my inaugural posting...I've been an occasional lurker on EP all of these years, but this certainly seemed like a worthwhile thread to chime in on.

Best Regards,

Last edited:

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi Oly,

Thanks for enjoying the build from start to finish. You're right, the solar fans started out as a great idea. The batteries seemed to die quickly in them and they really didn't move enough air in the camper. The Fantastic fan hooked to the 12 volt system seems to do a better job along with a portable 12 fan for warmer days.

Thanks,

Carl

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

OLY-JIM

Thanks Carl - good to know. It would seem that you may be back out on the road again - please enjoy safe travels!

Motafinga

Adventurer
Awesome rig, I'm sure your'e getting a ton of enjoyment out of it! Before I signed up on this forum I read you build and it even inspired me to get a used Alaskan. Mines a 2000 8'cabover which rides on a 97 PSD 4x4. Anyways I just discovered an easy way of filing the gap between the 2 piece rear doors. I was super annoyed at the amount of dust that got in the camper and of course the heat loss from the gap. total cost 13 bucks!
Not exactly rocket science but it works..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 6.37.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 6.37.15 PM.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 6.36.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 6.36.41 PM.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 6.36.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 6.36.58 PM.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 114

hawkstyle

I have a 70's 'ish CO is there a resource out there that could help me get a specific year. I need to replace the O-ring in my Hydaulic Plunger. I had to trim the passenger side box to fit it in my 94 Chevy 2"-4" just to get it to clear the back. I found a 100' roll of Pirelli for less $170 to my door. Anyone else done better? Alaskan offers it for $2 a ft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94