Alaskan Camper Build Up

mhende2

saw you rolling

Welcome to the fold! You're welcome to drop by and see it. In addition, I spend a lot of time in Colorado Springs if that is where you're at currently

Carlyle,
Saw you rolling up Hwy 115 toward colorado springs last Saturday morning while I was driving an suv. Spotted that Alaskan before you approached, and immediately knew it was you. There's no mistaking your rig! I'll keep watching for you in the area, and if you see my 2000 2wd white Dodge 2500 diesel hauling a 10' cabover Alaskan that will most likely be me.
Mike

Skutumpah

Potential Gaps Between Top/Bottom and Doors, Bugs & Water

Hello,

I am considering my options for getting a new mobile basecamp that I can get into remote areas. So a pop-up is looking like the best option. Although I would welcome any thoughts on how a Northern Light compares off road with a pop up.

The questions I have after reading this incredibly helpful long term account of your experience in designing and using your Alaskan Camper(s) are as follows:

1) Someone else had asked but I did not see a response regarding the reasons you switched from a cab over to a non cab over, would welcome hearing what your reasons were, also now that you have had it for a while what things you might be missing about the cab over and what things you like better about the non cab over.

2) Early on someone mentioned bugs getting in. What has been your experience? Do they get in between gaps between the top and bottom? Are the doors something that eventually if not immediately allow bugs to get in? Is the camper sealed effectively against No See Ums? Do the vents/fans allow bugs to get in? I understand that you need to change the seals every three to five years.

3) Has anybody tried an electric bug zapper inside their camper?

4) When driving in the rain can water get in between the weather stripping/seals (I forget what Alaskan calls the rubber wiper blade like seals) between the top and bottom of the camper and doors? Is this something that becomes a problem if you drive at faster speeds, 65 - 75? The thing I hate most about getting camper is that it will require getting a gas hog to pull it around safely, so I would be inclined to keep it at 65 - 70 on the freeway, but the speedlimit is 80mph in Utah.

Thanks

Skutumpah

Answers - Bugs and Cab Over vs. Non Cab Over

I have had a few months to continue my research and have found the answers to some of my questions. In the case of question #1 Carl answers the question in the following article - here is the answer followed by a link to the article:
"TCM: Why did you decide to order your new Alaskan without a cabover?

Carl: It’s easier to keep the camper warm in the winter if you don’t have a cabover. The folding hard sides on an Alaskan are insulated, but they’re not as thick as the actual side walls of the camper. Living in Colorado, we use the camper in the winter months quite a bit. Having a deep storage area under the bed really helps to keep the sleeping area warm. It’s also easier to put the pop-up roof up and down without the cabover."

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/off-road/extreme-rigs/carl-isner-an-ultimate-alaskan-camper-rig/

I have asked a couple of owners of cab over Alaskans if they got cold at night. Neither said it was a problem and that the propane furnace does an excellent job of regulating temperature inside the camper. I will note that Carl probably has spent more time in extreme cold than the people I have spoken to so far, although both of the owners I have spoken to have had their campers in snow. I expect an Alaskan to be more than adequate in this regard as far as my expectations are concerned.

Question #2 and bugs. I have read comments on forums of people having issues with bugs getting in. The owners of Alaskan Campers whom I have spoken to in person said it has never been a problem. Although one person I spoke to said he recently had a problem with mosquitoes swarming outside and getting in. In this case his seals have never been replaced in a fifteen year old camper so there are obvious gaps for bugs to get in.

This months Truck Camper Magazine has an article about keeping bugs and critters out of your camper, although Alaskan campers are unique in so far as they rely on seals to seal gaps between the top and bottom sections of the camper:

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-lifestyle/6-pest-control-pointers-truck-campers/

Carlyle

Explorer
The only time I have had bugs in my Alaskan is when I left the back door open. I had the exact same problem with my cabover Alaskan, it has a door too. I had a local guy make a collapsible bug screen to put in the top door section and have been happy with it. IMHO, if you want to keep bugs from nesting in your camper you should use it more often.

Skutumpah

Wheelbase Maneuverability

Glad to hear another bug free Alaskan Camper experience. One of the best things about Alaskans is customization, and your build up is a great example. Thanks for sharing your collapsible bug screen option. One owner I recently spoke with has an 8ft. cabover on a Ford super cab with 6 3/4 bed, which has approx 150 inch wheelbase. He was saying he had a pretty tight fit on the White Rim Trail. Is it possible, or have you taken your truck/camper on that trail ?

Carlyle

Explorer
Sorry about the slow response, but life seems to always get in the way. The tires are holding up as I've been not using the truck and camper for work any longer. As I had mentioned in the past, heat the speed are the killers of the mpt-81's. The new wheels from 1st Attack are doing great and have zero issues with them.

In five weeks time I am taking the camper on an a 30 day extended vacation to British Columbia and will update shortly on the preparation for this trip and then update as the trip progresses. Should be a great trip and lots of fun along the way.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I look forward to seeing pics of your trip to B.C. Carl. Let me know if you want any inside info about great places to visit. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles