Alaskan Camper Build Up

fisher205

Explorer
Wander the West site has the most Alaskan Information. I don't have the o ring size readily available but just take the o ring to the parts store and they can match it. That's what I do.

Good luck with your rebuild.

ripperj

Explorer
I replaced the oring on my pump recently, I just took the old one to the John Deere service counter and they had it.
There should be a serial number stamped into either the metal corner bracket on the back or the metal angle below the rear door. You may have to look hard, the stamping is not deep and painted over. If you give this number too Alaskan they can tell you the year, but it really doesn't matter, the same parts were used on many years of campers

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

Carlyle

Explorer
No big updates other than camping when work allows. I've found a new welder and working on getting another one of my wheels fixed as I have a second one developing a leak that is tough to track down. Thought about putting inner tubes in, but none of the tire places seem to like that idea.

Glad you enjoyed the build!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
When I first joined this site I found your thread. The truck you built inspired me to think outside the box. It showed me that you can build whatever you want.

gtbensley

Explorer
No big updates other than camping when work allows. I've found a new welder and working on getting another one of my wheels fixed as I have a second one developing a leak that is tough to track down. Thought about putting inner tubes in, but none of the tire places seem to like that idea.

Glad you enjoyed the build!

Thank you for the update........keep the pictures coming when you can. I think we all enjoy them.

ElkinsEric

Observer
I finished it!

Took me two evenings of reading but I've finished your thread. Nice work on the first setup and the second.

What did you ever do about the tire wear?

Sub'd.

Carlyle

Explorer
Took me two evenings of reading but I've finished your thread. Nice work on the first setup and the second.

What did you ever do about the tire wear?

Sub'd.
Glad I could entertain you for two evening, I thought it was a little long winded myself!

To answer a few question that have come up:

The Alaskan camper is running great with hardly any problems and is still the camper of choice over any other on the market for an expedition quality camper. As I sit in the camper during the cold weather I am thinking of how to insulate the base a little better, but I will save that for another post when completed. The truck itself is running well and up to about 60,000 miles. Dodge has had multiple recalls on various systems on the truck that it's gone into the dealer for. The closest dealer cannot work on a 5500, the next closet dealer has a very slow and interesting service department... When the truck reaches 100,000 miles the emissions will be pulled off the truck and most of my problems will go away and the milage will go up.

Tire wear: The MPT's have bad cupping and wear issues even with regular alignments, balancing and rotation. They are a soft compound tire that has awesome traction in mud, snow, dirt etc so I can't complain too much. The truck weighs 15,000 lbs so it's bound to wear out tires. The wheels have had a 40% failure rate at this point. I am currently using a First Attack 20" wheel as a spare and am seriously contemplating switching all of the wheels over. Perhaps the wider wheels will fix my cupping issue, who knows?

Other than minor projects, the rig is essentially done and we are very happy with the end result. As I "tweak" the rig, I will post the updates. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Ozymandias

Observer
Hi Carl

I read through all the thread, you really have an amazing truck built up.
I just want to tell you 2 or 3 things from european sight, i'm from switzerland.

Heating and Cooking; My Rig runs completely on Diesel, i have a Wallas Stove in it, it runs since ten years flawlessly even in 9000ft altitude, also i have an ESPAR D4 Plus Airheater that also runs since many many years -both of these units are profen to be good if the installer watches for some points not to make a mistake. Nowadays wallas sells a oven too. Sure all this apliances are expensive but they are 100% safe, dont need air to burn from the inside of the cabin and i dont need to carry other fuels then for the engine.

Tires, Michelin sells the 275/80-20 XZL for sure, a lot of vehicles use them, mainly military ones - maybe not in the US but with strong searching there should be some sources that can deliver them to you. They last around 50-60'000 Miles.
On the other Hand, have you ever thought about to retread your worn MPTs? It could be a good solution for tours that dont have a lot of heavy offroad, could save you a lot of money.

Shocks, for Trucks like ours that are far out of the common specs dont even think about generic shocks, they will never ever do what is possible to do on your rig.
When my truck was set up i did the same mistake, installed bilsteins and it was an epic downfall, the truck wasnt to handle on road except on freeways.
I went with King Shocks, customvalved to my truck, my weight, my tires and my driving style - now it handles like a VW Jetta under any circumstances, no matter if tarmac or wash board or rock climbing.
Bought them from downsouthmotorsports in San Diego - this guy did really a great job!

Last but not least - you have a big Camper, small is mine. :victory:

P1030003.jpg

Best regards
Ozymandias

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior