Composite Propane Tank

alexk721

Composite Propane Tanks are now 10 years for Re-Certification with a 15 year Life Span ... soon to be 10-12 year Re-Cert and No End Of Life Span. To see the latest Cert from the DOT go to www (dot) tikitorchworld.com/Composite-Propane-Tanks/

evilfij

Explorer
The only downside I see is that you have to go someplace to have them filled as opposed to an exchange at your favorite retailer.

After finding a half dozen discarded tanks with people trashing grills, I think I am set for life. When they run out I just pay $20 or whatever and swap out at the Walmart. I do need a small one for my dormobile so maybe I will use this for that purpose.

hikin_jim

I have a Lite cylinder. LOVE IT. Lighter. Lasts longer. Service life is twice that of a steel cylinder. Safer. Not subject to Bleve like a steel cylinder.
Very interesting. I haven't seen these before.

How are they not vulnerable to a BLEVE? Just off the top of my head it seems like they'd have the same risks as a regular cylinder, no?

HJ

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
...How are they not vulnerable to a BLEVE? Just off the top of my head it seems like they'd have the same risks as a regular cylinder, no?
Much the same way that a plastic gas can burns down to the fuel level and does not explode. The steel tank tends to weaken and then tear during flame impingement. That results in the BLEVE.
The composite tank does not tear.
Check out this DOT fire test video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IemK3TJtamI

italia

Observer
What would be the biggest size available for this composite tanks?I only seen the ones under 5 gallons,do they make them bigger than 5 gallons?

loren85022

Explorer
Aside from cost, they're great. We have one just for our porta-fire pit. Great when fire restrictions in affect. Easier for all family members to carry. Seeing what level of fuel remains is great too.

Tobey

Recall

Lite Cylinders have been recalled for poor manufacturing process. Bummer, I was loving mine, but don't want to blow up the camping trailer I just completed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz