Anyone using a 2wt?

Big_Geek

Drop Bear
I have been on here for years and never noticed the fly fishing section of the site! Oh well, on to my question...

I have a 4wt fiberglass rod (Cabela's CGr 50th anniversary 6'6") that I use with a Hardy Flyweight reel. I LOVE this setup on the Little Red River when the water is low.

When the water is up, I'd like a smaller rod that will let me fish the protected areas of the river without getting into the trees. I'm thinking of the 2wt Hardy glass (Aln) rod or Classic Lightweight. I like that the fiberglass is virtually indestructable and is shorter at 5' for working the tight areas, but am wondering if it's going to be too little to really get where I need to go. I cast the 3wt bigger brother and loved it, so that's the direction I'm leaning. Thought I'd see if anyone here had experience with these before I dropped the money into it.

I tried the Cabelas CGt fiberglass 2wt that replaced the CGr series, but it is at minimum a 3wt.

Thanks!

Hafwit

Adventurer
Like most people, I learned fly fishing on a 6wt. For more than a decade, that is all I used. Since this was more than 30 yrs ago, and I was a teenager without funds in the beginning, I didn't know there was much else out there. Once I had the ability to buy some more gear, I started to downsize my gear since the average fish I was catching was relatively small. I first went with 3wt--this was much more enjoyable to use than the 6 for trout mostly in the pound or less range. As I acquired more gear, I tried 2wt rods too. A short 5ft 2wt was my go-to rod for small brushy creeks as it was perfect for this application. Now I use a 000wt that I like even better. If your average fish is small, you might also want to consider trying Tenkara.

Cheers,
Greg

doug720

Expedition Leader
I too was thinking about about a short rod, maybe 5 - 6 footer with a small reel to fish the small creeks with tight brush and low branches. I will be fishing for small brookies, etc., that weigh under a pound and thought a 1 wt like this would be practical and fun.

I currently fish the small water with a 3 wt X 7' set up, it fun, but at times it's a pain. Last fall, I met an old guy near Bridgeport with a 1 wt X 5' set up and it looked like fun. He has fished this way for 40 years and said his rod and reel where at least 25 years old. So old he could not remember the brand names and you could not read the labels.

I know cast length and wind would be a factor, but where I want to fish, that's pretty tough already.

I am not looking to spend $$$$ on a set up, but saw a guy in Oregon that makes a nice 5' - 3 pc. rod for under $100 and saw a few reels for about the same. OK prices to experiment a little I think.

What's your experience and or suggestions for this idea? I have seen Tenkara and it looks interesting also...So many fishing options and soooo little time!

Thanks

Doug

Big_Geek

Drop Bear
Since posting this, I have used my Hardy 5', 2-weight, fiberglass rod and a Reddington 7'4", 2-weight graphite rod a few times at some of the lakes and streams in Rocky Mountain National Park. I LOVE catching these small fish on this setup. Granted, it's not ideal for the lakes (and the monster trout that live in them), but for native cutthroats and brookies in small, brush-covered streams, I wouldn't want any other setup.

I currently have a Hardy 1000 click reel installed, but think I'm going to get the featherweight (or flyweight - can't remember which is smaller) to balance out a bit better.

JRhetts

Adventurer
If I understand how rods and lines are designed and built, a 2-wt rod with a properly designed 2-wt line will cast roughly as far as a 6- wt or any other combination. But since with a fly rod/line you are casting the weight of the line -- not the lure/fly as with spinning gear, you have to keep your fly in proportion to the line/ rod you are using. AND, of course a big fish could overwhelm the backbone of a light rod.

I have caught 6-8 lb trout on a 3-wt rod, but I had to take a LONG time to tire and bring them in to hand.

Have fun. I think light rods are great fun if and only if you can discipline yourself to take a long play.

JRHetts - you are mostly correct. Fly rods cast line, not flys. Although you'd be hard pressed to cast a 2 weight as far as a 6 weight because of the line weight. Rod length also plays a factor too.

But, most people never fish (or shouldnt fish) beyond 30 ft anyway.

I regularly fish a 10' 4 weight with 6x to 20" browns. I do it because I can protect those light tippets. Conversely I have a 11'4" 7 weight switch loaded with 10 wt line (switches load differently) that I can signifigantly out distance my brother on his 7 weight single. I can get a good 50 ft on my 4 weight with a double haul, but why would I?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles