yet another SRW conversion

buck moberly

I converted my fg649 to SRW by using Marsh Racing Wheels brand wheels. The wheels are 8.25" x 16.5" with 7.25" back spacing and solid centers. The wheels were very reasonably priced.
The tires, from ebay are 100% tread Goodyear military MT/R 37/12.5/16.5 with a 133N weight index , so 4540 lb or 2060 kg rated. The tire and wheel combo weight 120 lb or 54 kg each. My speedometer now needs 10% slow instead of fast. The front track is about 1.5" inches wider than the rear.

I also just picked up a trailer to convert for camping so as not to be just a day tripper.

Attachments

• 3:4 front truck.jpg
    3:4 front truck.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 33
  • side truck.jpg
    side truck.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 38
  • trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

d67u57

Adventurer
nice.

i wonder how the track difference will play,in snow lets say :)

also, the weight distribution fully loaded with the camper box.

i looked one up with a heavy standard box(i think it was a 2wd though) and in that particular configuration the

'middle point' was surprisingly aft.

buck moberly

The wide front track does not look out of place and truck had no trouble in deep sand. I avoid snow and cold.

I will not put a camper on the truck as I need the bed space to carry the pieces of marble I use to make sculpture. The marble quarries around me are mostly cement quarries and I need to be able to get close enough to a stone I want to winch it near and load it on the truck with the crane. The quarry operators sell me stone very cheaply if I can load the stone myself. I do not use the truck for very long trips and the off road ability is much improved with the new tires.

These tires are rated for 4540 lbs at 65psi, I run them empty at 50psi. At 50psi, on the truck the tires are 35" tall. Off the truck but mounted on the wheels they are 35.5" tall.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I do not know what the laws are regarding changing wheels and tyres in the US, but here you cannot increase the track or wheel diameter by more than an inch without getting an engineer to sign off on the modification.

jhrodd

Adventurer
I can't speak for other parts of the US but out here in the wild west we do pretty much anything we want. For instance I once cut the roof off a '73 BMW sedan and moved the trunk forward to make a 2 seat roadster. I didn't have to get anyones permission. I did need a roll bar to drive it on the local race track.

roadster_zps10b953ad.jpg

buck moberly

I removed the mud flaps and trimmer the plastic fenders a bit.
The trucks gearing is improved when empty , but when loaded it needs more power. I have never had to use 3rd or 4th gear much before.

Attachments

• trucklog.jpg
    trucklog.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 13

scubagai

Observer
A few questions...do you know what weight the rims are rated at? Did you have them "chamfer"sp? the lug holes so they can be mounted flipfloppy? Who was your contact person at Marsh? I'm seriously considering these.

buck moberly

The rims have tapered holes on both sides so they can be mounted either way. I asked for the valve stem to be on the shallow side and I have to fill the rears from the inside, which is not too hard with the taller tires. The MRW wheels were much less expensive than any other option, but I do not know how much weight they are rated for, the centers are 3/8" thick? They have two stickers so maybe they are double strength. I have a spare so if I have a problem I assume I will get home. Most of my trips are 50/50 pavement and dirt and most are only day trips.

i have now put a few miles on the 37" tires and I'm pleased with both the off road traction and the on road wider gearing of the tires. I am a little unnerved by the higher center of gravity when loaded with a 60" diameter log that weights 3 tons, a 1,500 lbs rear mounted crane, a short wheel base and a very steep driveway. I popped a small wheelie!! I was terrified.

Attachments

• tire.jpg
    tire.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

scubagai

Observer
Wheelies are not always fun.....even on a motorcycle......If you have your invoice for the wheels or know sho you worked with at marsh, I would like to copy your order. Thanks. I will have a camper that weighs 1300 lbs. motorcycle 300.... And gear at another 1000 do hopefully wont be so scary for me

buck moberly

The truck wobbled a bit so I put in a steering stabilizer. I used a Rancho universal kit, it works fine. I did have to drill a few holes in a steel plate but no welding was needed.

Attachments

• steering stabalizer.jpg
    steering stabalizer.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne