AZ DPS Air Rescue Paramedic

jh504

Explorer
I figured since this forum has a large following from AZ I could maybe get some info about these guys. Is anyone familiar with DPS Air Rescue Paramedics as far as requirements, job description, and recruitment go? I have searched the DPS website but haven't come up with much. I thought I would post hear before actually contacting DPS with questions. Thanks for any info anyone has.

SilverBullet

Explorer
My brother-in-law flies med evac here in Prescott. He said those pilots are DPS first for 3 years, then apply for pilot program. He suspects the medics are a similar internal promotion process.

On a side note, he said air evac medics are trained by the hospital so if that is your goal, check that option.

jh504

Explorer
Thanks for the info, sounds similar to how Maryland works over on this side. Does your Brother in law's hospital fly SAR stuff or is it mainly medical transport?

SilverBullet

Explorer
Thanks for the info, sounds similar to how Maryland works over on this side. Does your Brother in law's hospital fly SAR stuff or is it mainly medical transport?

He flies for Native Air from the Prescott hospital. SAR is handled by Sheriff's and the DPS choppers around here.

lowie86301

Thanks for the info.

I am a pilot for guardian air in Flagstaff and work with DPS a lot. I know for a fact the pilots don't work on the ground for three years before they fly. They hire straight into the rotor wing pilot position. They do want you to go to the academy which is like 16 weeks, but it isn't a requirement.

Uglyduck

Adventurer
I'm a firefighter in the Flag area and work the DPS air unit on occasion. My understanding is their medics do time on the road regardless of prior experience for a couple of years, even for high speed military SOF types. Their unit is suffering from budget cuts like most state agencies but the folks that go there tend to stick around for a long time. I don't think they've done layoffs but rather changed how often and what birds are available, at least in N.Az.

MAD Duo

Observer
You will have to attend a law enforcement academy in Phoenix. (Unless you are already certified and can get a waiver.) That lasts 16 weeks, then DPS has an Advanced Academy which is another 8-12 weeks. (It changes from time to time.) Then once you complete the Advanced academy you will be a certified peace officer in AZ. You will have to be an officer whether you want to be a pilot or an air medic, does not matter. Your time you do on the road can depend on medic needs vs. patrol officers needed. AZ is suffering from huge budgets cuts and DPS's air rescue program was cut dramatically. DPS was hiring for officers, but have ceased for now, unless you want to become a reserve officer and then try for a full-time paid position when they become available.

If you PM I can give you a ton more info and have a friend whom was a DPS air medic for 13 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles