New Rig: 1991 Ford F-150 4x4

So I just picked up this 1991 Ford F-150 Today. It is 4x4, has the 4.9L Straight 6 and a 5 speed manual. I bought the truck becuase of the stick shift and 8 foot bed.
About 2.5 weeks ago I picked up a 1998 ford contour 2.0 with 149k for 300 bucks because the charging system wasn't working and it was dirty as hell, filled to the brim with junk and clothes. Anyways, i cleaned it up real nice and turned out that the charging system only needed a fuse, so popped that in put about 700 miles on it and sold it today for $1000. I then found this truck and bought it about an hour later for $900. I had about 100 bucks in the contour, so with travel i paid about $340 for this truck. The odometer reads 30,500 so it has either 131,000 or 231,000 miles on it, the previous owner said the guy he bought it from was older and owned it for a while and replaced the motor at some point, which i think is correct becuase it has yellow markings on the intake from a junkyard or auto recycler. Before i bought it it had a new distributor put in, with new wires and plugs as well as a full tune up. It runs and shifts damn good, although the steering wheel is off a couple notches and there is a decent amount of play in it.

the interior is real dirty, but overall it is a very nice truck with no rust other than over the rear wheel wells. Right now im trying to decide what i want to do with it. I usually go camping up in the hiawatha a couple times a year, and last year with the trailblazer and a trailer for the dirtbike there was no room for anything else with only 2 people. My blazer/trazer project wont be completed until mid summer, and even then it will be a regular cab 5 foot bed so there wont be a whole lot of room even if i have a dirtbike slung off the front. for the price i think its definitly a keeper unless i get an offer higher than 1200 bucks.

photo-22.jpgphoto-23.jpgphoto-24.jpgphoto-25.jpgphoto-26.jpgphoto-27.jpg

hobobrando

Nice Truck! What I would give to have that engine/tranny combo in my 86, just can't kill those old six bangers.

Well what i gave the guy was reasonable, but what it actually cost me really was insane. I may sell it and put the profit into the other rig but its nice having a stick and the straight six pulls great. Im really amazed at how little rust there is for the age, most truck around here are rust buckets.

today i put a keyed switch in to cut power to the starter solenoid so it cant be stolen as easily becuase the previous owner broke the mechanical workings of the ignition switch so now to start it you just push a rod behind the steering wheel, no key necessary until i added the secondary switch.

photo-28.jpg

The next problem i need to fix, probably will tackle it tomorow afternoon is the steering. There is about 3 inches of play before the wheels start turning, i believe it is in the shaft where it colapses in case of an accident, seems to be the most common problem on these rigs. Im going to jack it up tomorow anyways and check the front end components anyways. The other problem, which just started today is that the steering wheel moves back/forth if you pull or push on it which is kinda annoying and slightly scary on the highway. hopefully its something simple but i wont be sure until i look into it tomorrow.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
And cleaning the absolute crap out of it, right? :sombrero: :coffeedrink: Nice find. I'd buy it for 1200 if you were in CA.

Last edited:
Yep, ill be cleaning this weekend sometime or next week. i want to pull the carpet and power wash it so ive got to find a nice block of time

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nice score, My first NEW ride was a 1993 F150 inline 6 and 5 speed.
Loved the truck, sold it after driving it for 11 years.
"Regular cab was too small for a family"

Yes so far its already being put to work hauling my tools and as a mobile workstation. the regular cab long bed is nice becuase i will be use it in the city quite a bit for hauling motorcycles and scooters, its nice not having to tow a big trailer around in Chicago all the time. I run my own scooter/motorcycle repair shop, work at an auto shop as a mechanic when im not in peoria for school, and i work as a mobile mechanic wherever i'm at. it sure is nice having the tailgate as a workbench :)

The tires are pretty good on this truck, and as i'll most likely be keeping this rig for a while i'd like to put a set of 33's on it when these wear down a bit more. im going to put my cb in in it this weekend and start looking for a slightly beefier front bumper with a place to mount some lights, these stock ones suck.

Just changed the oil today with some rotella-t 15w40 heavy duty diesel engine oil and a motor craft filter and im surprised at how much smoother it runs. must've had some 5w30 in there before because its much smoother and quieter now. Hopefully this weekend i'll be able to tackle the dirty *** interior. driving back to chicago this friday so that'll be the first real test of this old rig, runs down the road pretty good at 65 though, and only turnin about 2000 rpms at 65 i think, 1750 or 1800 at 55

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Nice score. Some 33-10.50R15 BFG ATs would be a great tire for that truck if you do decide to go to 33s. It's nice how some things are really easy to fix (Contour) but people sell them for cheap because they think it is a serious problem.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
I'm not sure why, but I have been catching myself checking out this bodystyle of trucks more and more. As cheap as they are these days I may just have to pick one up. Nice Score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke