A Photographers vehicle?

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
I am a photographer here in Atlanta, GA (coming from an event and modeling background) wanting to get back into action sports and outdoor lifestyle and I saw a post about an FJ cruiser setup for outdoor photography.
Which got me thinking....

How do you have your rig setup to support your shooting styles and locations and cameras?
power outlets/availability, gps(s), off-road ability, raised photo platform in your bed whatever you can think of...

I'm trying to come up with a custom build photographer Tacoma, in my case.

What is your ideal setup and wishlist of the perfect setup as a photographer (not vehicle)
or tips that make your vehicle photo friendly

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I recently met this gentleman: http://www.steveuzzell.com/photo.html and admired his vehicle. He and his partner are both photographers and are living full time in an Earthroamer which is converted to a mobile photo shoot and studio vehicle. The second seats in the crew cab feature camera bag storage under and have been adapted each to hold a MacBookPro on a swing away "desk." The work stations are wired to a vehicle wide LAN and there is an enormous server farm in the cabinets over the passenger side of the camper. The vehicle features non-skid on the roof for safer shooting.

The whole rig is most impressive. You might want to shoot him an e-mail.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I'm also in Atlanta. What I've found to work very well is a plain vehicle with a trunk...AKA hide everything so others won't see it. Its nice to do work and then throw everything in the trunk then stop somewhere for a bite, knowing the average bum isn't going to see anything in my car...let alone even consider it with a Lexus sitting next to it.

Smaller is better. Lets be honest, what all are you carrying? On average, I carry a backpack, a camera case, a tripod, and some light stands. Yep, fits in the trunk with plenty of room to spare for cooler, jackets, etc. All of a sudden in a cramped parking lot or a narrow parking deck, the little car starts to shine. On top of that, parallel parking is better and then there is better mpg since the smaller engine doesn't use as much during idle.

That said, I've always used a boring sedan for my off road work. The older, the better. Typically when I do work outside of the city, there are others that are the focus of my lens. So I let them do the driving and I jump shotgun. The car sits at the staging area, with the backup gear stored in the trunk so no one knows its there. When people pull up, they look at it and think someone has left it there to ride. Not "oh I bet there is $5k in gear in the trunk. Where did I put my screwdriver again!!??" Not having a vehicle on the trail is 45986730443x better because now I'm not worried about my vehicle, only my subjects vehicle. I'm not worried if its built enough or breakage or what its doing. During the shoot, I am focused on my subject. Any obstacle or location I would want to be at, I'd catch a ride to that location.

On top of that, after I traverse the 50 ft of dirt road, the sedan shines on the paved roads. Even that little bit of dirt road, I've only had an issue ONCE when I was parking on a hill on grass and it was pouring rain. My bald little tires weren't doing a lot. Fortunately I was able to back up and head downhill some back to the road. Just pre-planning on my parking spot was just as good as 4WD and mud tires, however the 5 hour drive home was much more enjoyable. Oh and I did scrape the bottom on a whoop-de-doo once. The next one I took it at an angle with decent momentum. Lifted some tires but it didn't matter.

I've used my personal 4WD for TWO shoots. One, I knew I was going to be in a remote spot on a closed off road race course so it was nice having my personal vehicle with the cooler, etc right there. In hindsight, I could've caught rides in and out but I wanted to take my personal 4WD. It was nice having it but not necessary. The second was a choice, mainly because I wanted to go wheeling where the shoot was.

In terms of plugs and whatnot, I've only had an issue twice were I had to go back to the car to resupply. Basically, for both situations if I had decent memory cards then it wouldn't have been an issue. However I was trying to be a cheapo and I paid for it. Also both events were WEROCK so you literally are shooting 4 fps (I mean, you can shoot more than that but that seems to work best for off roading) the entire day. Memory cards fill up fast like that. However the last few shoots I've done, I've filled one 8 gig and most of a second, leaving a 3rd in reserve along with my fleet of smaller cards. Batteries, I carry a spare but typically I have them fully charged before getting in the field. I've never had to recharge in the field. However my setup is all battery based (strobes with spare batteries) so with full charges, I'm typically good to go for all day.

You probably know all of this but I just thought I would throw this out there that despite doing tons of off road work, I drive a $1000 front wheel drive sedan with street tires out there.

If you want to do landscape type of work, in all honesty a Subaru Outback can get you 98% of the forest roads in Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama, no problem. The extra traction of the AWD and being higher off the ground will help in the few tight spots. However I've driven a significant number of them with my sedan as well and haven't ever scraped. There are a few places that such a vehicle won't cut it but to actually access the area you want to be in is a few hundred yards away. A good set of boots fixes that problem.

Dunno, just trying to provide a more "basic" point of view on the subject.

cnutco

Adventurer
I went with a '03 Montero Limited. Plenty of room for my Pelican case, stands and lights all the while having room for people.

Bet yet was taking a bride and groom down to a rock bed in a creek near the wedding. They were like, "Are we going to be able to make it down here?" OH YEAH!

photoman

Explorer
It really depends on the shoots you are doing. If you are not doing extended stays in remote areas you shouldn't need power for charging batteries (or just use a power converter in your cig/power outlet). Why build a platform when you can throw a step stool or 5ft ladder in the back of your truck which is far more maneuverable than a vehicle? Some use GPS to great lengths and others do not use it at all. Gear storage- a lot of people use Pelican cases but I have never found the need. They are far to bulky and heavy to hike with and they advertise that you have something valuable worth protecting.

Action sports and outdoor lifestyle shoots seem like a front wheel drive car or 2wd truck/suv would be more than adequate to get you to most events. If you want space for gear or an editing station a van of some type would be both practical and inconspicuous. If you already have the truck find an inverter that can power a laptop, purchase a screen room, folding table, chair and call it done.

I'm building my truck based on my landscape photography interests as well as my wheeling and camping styles. My perfect photography setup would be a Sportsmobile. Even with that said I wouldn't use it for portraits, events, or product shoots- just for extended landscape shoots, especially bad weather shoots.

chadlanc

Adventurer
I have a unimog 1300 that we are using on our film as we travel around the southwest. If your shooting stills i'd say get a 4x4 van from ujoint, a AEV 4dr jeep or toyota truck. Ask Bret Edge about his fj cruiser

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
You got some good advice so far. A lot depends on what you want to do. I have several vehicles depending on what I am shooting:

- Our car is for quick trips that I am in and out of an area and will be staying on the road. 110V power to charge up computers and batteries.

- The van is for longer trips and carrying a lot of gear and/ or people. 110V power to charge computers and batteries.

- Then we have the truck and camper. 4 wheel drive, can seat up to 6, camper on back that can sleep 2 people very comfortably, 110V power in the cab and separate 110V system in the camper, fridge, stove, oven, washroom, additional battery power, furnace, lots of storage for gear to keep it out of site, portable generator for lighting, air compressor, high intensity spot lights, area lighting for setting up night shoots, ladder to the roof for elevated shooting, additional gear depending on the assignment.

- Our trailer is set up to carry a pile of gear, mainly for teaching and nature shoots. Main thing it carries are our kayaks and gear. but it carries a lot of back up gear like tools, extra fuel for longer shoots or classes, additional battery power and outdoor outlets for lights and pumps.

For me a big thing is to not stand out. I do not use signs on the vehicles to advertise and I use older vehicles. This way I can leave them parked any place and not get unwanted attention. Also I keep gear out of site with built in storage and ways to hide equipment.

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
I'm debating on the vehicle wrap ( just the sides, nothing too overthetop) or not.
I agree on the not standing out, but when your at an event its nice marketing when you've got a well built truck sitting there.

Not sure how much business one gets from that or not.

Here is an example of what I'm envisioning ( but on a Tacoma):
fj-pano-1000px.jpg

LR Max

Local Oaf
I've found that magnetic signs that stick to the side of the vehicle to be the best. Usually right before I arrive, I slap them on the side. Then as I leave I peal them back off. So while in transit, I'm just another car on the road but on site I am advertised.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I've found that magnetic signs that stick to the side of the vehicle to be the best. Usually right before I arrive, I slap them on the side. Then as I leave I peal them back off. So while in transit, I'm just another car on the road but on site I am advertised.

I thought of this, how does it work on wearing the paint, any issues? Seeing some of the new signs they are amazing and would solve the issue of advertising to the wrong people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier