Tacoma to 80 series?

Lok47

Observer
I'm a current owner of a great 99 Tacoma. It's a 5 speed, 3rz with manual hubs and a locking rear diff and it's nearing 243k trouble free miles. It's mainly used for hauling my bikes and a little off road travel here and there. But, the xtracab portion doesn't fit my two dogs very well and I'm thinking about going with something a bit bigger. Therefore, I'm considering selling it and moving on.

I've always been a fan of the 80 series Land Cruisers, but I've got a few concerns that maybe you can all help me with. In the past I owned a Land Rover Discovery 1 which was a nice vehicle, but I was not able to ever fully trust it like I do with my Taco. With the issues I hear with the HG and PHH, etc., will a well maintained LC be as reliable as my truck? I'm still going to need to haul my dirt bikes out to the trails or the tracks, will the 4.0 or 4.5 have any issues with a hitch mounted bike carrier? What kind of mileage are you guys seeing with a minor lift and a bumper and armor? This won't be a daily driver, it'll be a family and bike hauler essentially. Reliability and a/c, i live in AZ, is the most important thing for me. Is this asking too much for a vehicle that is nearing 2 decades in age?

I've thought about Monteros, Xterras, 4runners, but none of them really appeal to me as much as an 80.

ssssnake529

Explorer
I've got an 80 series. Been very reliable. Approaching 170k miles. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. I go out solo most of the time, so reliability is a priority for me too.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I have an 1995 80 and a 2005 tacoma...both are reliable...both have AC...both carry my dirtbike on a hitch carrier...
Mileage loaded is much better in the Tacoma...15mpg vs 9-10mpg...

The tacoma is much more utilitarian IMO because I like to throw all my dirty and wet crap in the bed and keep it out of the cab...
I assume that since you said you still need to haul dirt bikeS to the trail you will be pulling a trailer...so a couple storage boxes on that and you have wet storage/etc..

Cimarron13

I have a 97 and my dogs love the rear slide windows. I average 11 MPG with 4" lift with 285's. I have 198K and don't think twice about going to remote areas alone even on original head gasket. It's also only my fun vehicle not my daily driver.

shfd739

Observer
I'm a current owner of a great 99 Tacoma. It's a 5 speed, 3rz with manual hubs and a locking rear diff and it's nearing 243k trouble free miles. It's mainly used for hauling my bikes and a little off road travel here and there. But, the xtracab portion doesn't fit my two dogs very well and I'm thinking about going with something a bit bigger. Therefore, I'm considering selling it and moving on.

I've always been a fan of the 80 series Land Cruisers, but I've got a few concerns that maybe you can all help me with. In the past I owned a Land Rover Discovery 1 which was a nice vehicle, but I was not able to ever fully trust it like I do with my Taco. With the issues I hear with the HG and PHH, etc., will a well maintained LC be as reliable as my truck? I'm still going to need to haul my dirt bikes out to the trails or the tracks, will the 4.0 or 4.5 have any issues with a hitch mounted bike carrier? What kind of mileage are you guys seeing with a minor lift and a bumper and armor? This won't be a daily driver, it'll be a family and bike hauler essentially. Reliability and a/c, i live in AZ, is the most important thing for me. Is this asking too much for a vehicle that is nearing 2 decades in age?

I've thought about Monteros, Xterras, 4runners, but none of them really appeal to me as much as an 80.

Go with the 4.5 motor for the extra power.

You may have to catch up a little maintenance and the PHH is a simple fix really. Head gasket issues are overblown and can happen to any vehicle at the age and mileage these trucks are at. My truck has been reliable with repairs being only for items that reached their lifespan or were replaced while catching up on maintenance. Like ujoints, tie rod ends, fan clutch etc.

I have the OME medium lift with 315s, metal tech tube bumper and 10k winch. My mileage is 10-11 in town and 13ish loaded on the highway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lok47

Observer
I have an 1995 80 and a 2005 tacoma...both are reliable...both have AC...both carry my dirtbike on a hitch carrier...
Mileage loaded is much better in the Tacoma...15mpg vs 9-10mpg...

The tacoma is much more utilitarian IMO because I like to throw all my dirty and wet crap in the bed and keep it out of the cab...
I assume that since you said you still need to haul dirt bikeS to the trail you will be pulling a trailer...so a couple storage boxes on that and you have wet storage/etc..

Agreed, the Tacoma is definitely more fuel efficient and utilitarian. I'm getting about 19 mpg, but that's stock with 31s. I'm thinking the 80 will be the next Toyota 4wd for me. I've been reading about how slow these trucks are. Is it really that bad? Keep in mind, I'm used to a fairly slow 3rz.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Agreed, the Tacoma is definitely more fuel efficient and utilitarian. I'm getting about 19 mpg, but that's stock with 31s. I'm thinking the 80 will be the next Toyota 4wd for me. I've been reading about how slow these trucks are. Is it really that bad? Keep in mind, I'm used to a fairly slow 3rz.

It's slow!...I would try to drive one before completely making up your mind...
The 4.0L in my Tacoma is certainly no rocket but feels like one when compared to my 80...
The tacoma is easier to drive in a hurry...
For short trips I don't mind it but eating up miles on the highway get old...trips over 500 miles/day I rarely take the 80...

ssssnake529

Explorer
My 80 is slow, but not terribly slow. I have lower gears (4.56) on it, which help a lot with (perceived) power. Stock gears with big tires made it pretty pokey. With the 4.56 gears, I really have no complaints. (I can even pass trucks when I want to.) I can move along on the highway at a steady 75-80 mph (with RTT and full load.)

FZJ4Fun

With 315's and stock gears mine was slow... but when I swapped in 5.29's it gained back the oomph. Even with 37's I'm able to pull most hills at the speed limit with my rig fully loaded for camping. The cruisers are tough, reliable rigs that do what you ask of them without hesitating.

krnnerdboy

Adventurer
Ill play devils advocate here. Since your not really in need of an expo chassis and a lightweight will do, I recommend the 05+ xterra. Can be had for 7k+ and they are rock solid reliable minus the tranny, which can be modded in a minute for free. It's faster than a 4.0 taco and it gets 19 mpg.

Klierslc

Explorer
I am on my 3rd 80 with no major issues. If you get a 97 it will only be 2 years older than your Taco. I think you will be very happy with it. Go with some 255s and a med lift and you will keep up with everybody on the highway just fine except for on the steep passes.

Maybe a better option is a 4runner with the V8 or V6? Still more room for the dogs and gear, plenty of power, less maintenance intensive and better gas mileage.

p nut

butter
Can't speak for any other issues, but power difference between the 4.5 and 3rz is negligible. I don't think you will have any issues power wise.

EricBirk

Adventurer
I just made this exact switch a few months back. Sold my 2002 Tacoma with the 5VZ auto (180,000 miles) for a 95 80 with the 1FZ(112,000 miles).
http://s208.beta.photobucket.com/user/ericbirk/library/Erics%20LC80

I had always wanted an 80, and it took me 6-8 months to find the one I ended up buying, its tougher up here in Canada there are alot less. My main reasons were SFA, bigger tires(35's with no cutting or fear of breaking parts), a much tougher drivetrain/frame, and more interior space. I dont daily drive it, it is simply for trips and camping. My daily driver is a 2011 F350 and I jump in the 80 and take it for a spin just because it makes me feel better haha

Power wise the 80 is slower for sure. It drives like a diesel in town, just seems to pull and hold 2500RPM. Passing on the highway is a bit rough. I now have 315/75 Toyo MT's on it and an OME 3". Bumpers, sliders, and armour to go on shortly. It doesnt bother me too much, I just remember what it is.

The first thing I noticed driving the 80 was how much more solid it felt. I have never driven another vehicle that drove the way it does, and I love it. Driving around in town when the roads are snowy and icy it is 100 times better than the Tacoma was (AWD and much better weight balance). I have only taken it on 1 mild trail run and even with open diffs I was quite impressed with the stability and capability. Its hard to describe it really.

PHH is a VERY simply fix, you just need to be nimble and patient.

BUT I do still miss my Taco, and the ability to throw stuff in the bed that I didnt want inside. It was a great truck but I dont regret my decision at all.
I describe the 80 as old school tough with some new (old now) school flare, soccer mom cushy inside, built like a tank outside.

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
80-series all the way....

If you needed a truck I suppose the Taco. But the Taco isn't good for hauling a lot of weight so if that is what you need a truck for I would look elsewhere.

86tuning

Adventurer
I don't have problems passing on the highway at sane speeds. Just got back from a road trip. Was going 85mph when passing. Stock gears, 315-75-16 KM2s with minimal armour and not a lot of added weight.

It's no racecar but works fine on the freeway. 15mpg highway over the last 600 miles in the pnw. In the winter, during rush hour commuting in the city, 9mpg. Off peak hours i get 12mpg city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles