1911 or Glock

stevo

Observer
1911 or ?

Howdy,
Just thought I'd throw in my $.02, hope you don't mind. I have had a CCW permit for approx. 20 yrs and have been carrying (full-time) since my return from RVN in 1970. I never thought that I would give up my 1911 until I met my Springfield XD45. I have owned (and carried) at least 5 different 1911s over the years. About six years ago I got a XD45 and I freakin' love it! I now have three of them (2 std. mdls. and a 5" tactical). That's ALL I cary now. I still have a 1911 but, as for me, the XD45 is the ONLY way to go.
Cheers, Stevo

Storz

Explorer
Funny you should mention the XD. I am looking into the 4" 45 compact.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Always a striker fired glock type guy. Recently started carrying a sig p938 which 1911 based system. Hardest part has been adjusting to manual safety type weapon.mit has taken quite some time to train that extra step into my muscle memory. Even though I carry it I still question my ability to deactivate it under stress. So take training time into account for carrying purpose.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
That says it all right there.....1911 to tinker with and a Glock when your life depends on it.

Hmmm...History says otherwise. Ask the guys who depended on a 1911 in WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam...and even in some military circles up to today.

I think this comes down to personal preference and comfort more than the ability to defend yourself with one.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Hmmm...History says otherwise. Ask the guys who depended on a 1911 in WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam...and even in some military circles up to today.

I knew when I saw the title to this thread, even given the OP's statement that is wasn't a Glock versus 1911 thread, that sooner or later it would head in this direction! It just had to happen.

As a fan and owner of both, I feel objective on the matter. The WWI to Vietnam history of the 1911 is secure, but somewhat irrelevant given that the Glock wasn't around for comparison, and we were dealing with hardball ammunition then. In the modern context, with modern hollow-point ammunition, and ignoring the usual anecdotal "I had a Glock/1911 and it was a piece of junk/perfect," I think there's plenty of statistical evidence to conclude that, on average, the Glock is a more reliable pistol out of the box than any stock 1911 within a thousand dollars of its price (thus excluding, say, the $3,000 Les Baers as "stock"). I love my (heavily) Novak-modified Commander and don't hesitate to trust it for self defense. But faced with an unknown situation and an unknown number of assailants and forced to pick only one, the 8-shot Commander or my 15-shot Glock 31 in .357; I'd go for the latter in a heartbeat.

But still, I agree with I Leak Oil's conclusion that it comes down to personal preference, i.e. the one you shoot best.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor

I knew when I saw the title to this thread, even given the OP's statement that it wasn't a Glock versus 1911 thread, that sooner or later it would head in this direction! It just had to happen.

As a fan and owner of both, I feel objective on the matter. The WWI to Vietnam history of the 1911 is secure, but somewhat irrelevant given that the Glock wasn't around for comparison, and we were dealing with hardball ammunition then. In the modern context, with modern hollow-point ammunition, and ignoring the usual anecdotal "I had a Glock/1911 and it was a piece of junk/perfect," I think there's plenty of statistical evidence to conclude that, on average, the Glock is a more reliable pistol out of the box than any stock 1911 within a thousand dollars of its price (thus excluding, say, the $3,000 Les Baers as "stock"). I love my (heavily) Novak-modified Commander and don't hesitate to trust it for self defense. But faced with an unknown situation and an unknown number of assailants and forced to pick only one, the 8-shot Commander or my 15-shot Glock 31 in .357; I'd go for the latter in a heartbeat.

But still, I agree with I Leak Oil's conclusion that it comes down to personal preference, i.e. the one you shoot best.

Storz

Explorer
Spent some time up at the LGS on Monday and decided to purchase an XD9sc as my primary CCW piece! My only complaint with the XD is the slippery grip, a couple hours with my soldering iron last night and I fixed it :)

My next purchase will be a fullsize 1911

IMAG0365.jpg

Last edited:

jrose609

Explorer
Spent some time up at the LGS on Monday and decided to purchase an XD9sc as my primary CCW piece! My only complaint with the XD is the slippery grip, a couple hours with my soldering iron last night and I fixed it :)

My next purchase will be a fullsize 1911

IMAG0365.jpg
:Wow1:

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
As a fan and owner of both, I feel objective on the matter. The WWI to Vietnam history of the 1911 is secure, but somewhat irrelevant given that the Glock wasn't around for comparison, and we were dealing with hardball ammunition then.

How many years went by between the introduction of the 1911 and the Glock? Something in the realm of 70 or so I think. Is the Glock 70 years more reliable? Probably not. Is it a better overall weapon? Probably in most circles. Both have their pluses and minuses but I liken it to buying the latest Ferrari....Does you no good if you're uncomfortable driving it.
I bring up the history of the 1911 mearly in response to the notion that is something to simply "tinker" with. That's absurd.

robert

Expedition Leader
Nice, I've modded my Glocks grips also although I haven't done the stippling yet. I relieved under the trigger guards, radiused around the mag release, installed Glock extended slide releases, removed the finger grooves on my G19, did the twenty five cent trigger job and replaced the factory plastic sights. Glocks are a love hate thing for me- I love that they work and are super reliable, but I hate the grip angle and the aesthetics of them.

Here's my G19 along with my KSC airsoft; the G19 has a Vickers slide release that I was trying out but didn't like.
IMG_2338_zps0b64d8eb.jpg

For sheer fun, look at a Glock 30. It's blocky yes, but it's very accurate and I also have a 10mm conversion barrel for mine (I've got a G21 with a 10mm conversion barrel also). :sombrero:

zimm

Expedition Leader
taking aesthetics out of it, the glock. ugly buggers tho.

i cant seem to conceal either one of them, and i could never seem to bring myself to buy a 1911 that wasnt 5 inches. the para ccw came close when it came out as it seemed the best of all worlds. the 1911 that wasnt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles